1964: Heavy Shit!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 11/09/2023 10:44
  • Post subject:
The grandfather of all weird and heavy music is Screamin' Jay Hawkins with his immaculate version of I Put a Spell on You.

Link

Here's a band from the early 60s for you. Very lofi and pretty much unknown, but I've seen them mentioned in a proto-punk conversation somewhere. This is from 62'.

Link

Instrumental pick for 62' would be Misirlou, and I've just discovered this one as well.

Link

63' is a bit light on the heavy music, at least from what I've heard. Maybe Surfin' Bird? Them single Gloria probably wins the 64' (The Witch was released as a single that year if Chief's info is correct, so that's probably the winner), although The Kinks (You Really Got Me) and The Primitives (Lou Reed and John Cale's pretty crazy and heavy band) had a couple of notable singles.

After that, early The Who would be in contention for the heaviest band of 65', as well as the bands yall mentioned (but I still think The Sonics win this 65' competition quite easily). Reed/Cale duo with their bands The Roughnecks (singles You're Driving Me Insane and Cycle Annie) and The Velvet Underground were the ones truly pushing the boundaries not only with their heaviness, but also the type/style of heavy music they were playing. This wasn't conventional heavy rock, it was a unique noise and garage/proto punk sound. Slightly later than them, a different kind of heavy music was revolutionizing the rock genre. Hendrix, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Zappa, even The Doors and Pink Floyd etc. And then there's the pinnacle of the 60s heavy music with The Stooges debut. (Ok, the pinnacle might be the crazy stuff from White Light White Heat and European Son, but the Stooges are 1B at the very least)

Ofc, that's just the rock music. Free jazz also has to be in conversation for the wildest and noisiest music of the 60s.

Edit:
Here are some other cool picks I've just discovered. Some them are actually great, some are just interesting/weird. Amazing discoveries for me, thanks for starting this thread Repo Very Happy

High Tide - Futilist's Lament

Link

Spooky Tooth - Evil Woman

Link

Cromagnon - Caledonia -> wtf this is basically atmospheric black metal but in 1969, love the track and it's probably the heaviest song of the 60s now that I think of it

Link

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown - Fire

Link

The Ethix - Bad Trip (and the B-side, Skins)

Link

Blues Magoos - Dante's Inferno (and the A-side, One by One)

Link

Grand Funk - Paranoid

Link

Several brilliant songs which I've completely forgotten about: The Nile Song (Pink Floyd), Fields of Regret (Alice Cooper).
And the classics like Helter Skelter, I Want You, 21st Century Schizoid Man, Creedence Clearwater Revival's I Put a Spell on You, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida...

And this is probably the heaviest band of the 60s, but with no official releases (didn't even know Denudes were this old):

'67–'69 Studio Et Live by 裸のラ...Dénudés]
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/09/2023 23:29
  • Post subject:
Great post, Zep!!! Cool I'll slowly work my way through all those recs probably staring with the stuff from pre-'64, BUT I first have to comment on THIS ...

The Rolling Stones by The Rolling Stones

... which may not be HEAVY-iest album of 1964, BUT it may just well be the most BADASS. It's crazy that a debut LP in essentially an entire new genre of music -the British Blues - can sound this assured, nonchalant & COCKY! I don't think I've ever reached this level of I-don't-give-two-fucks ever. <BUT I keep trying! Laughing >

Anyways, I'm surprised with just how amazing this is right out of the gates and this wave of HEAVY British Blues - The Kinks, The Stones, The Yardbirds, Manfred Mann - must have had the same sort of impact in 1964 that Punk had in 1977. Music really had never sounded this badass before! <Or am I underestimating Bo Diddley?! Think >

Also, I think I listened to the English release. It's the one that starts with "Route 66". Anyone have any thoughts on the American vs. British release or are they essentially the same.
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 11/10/2023 00:24
  • Post subject:
Here's an album by a rock 'n' roll group from the Philippines that was using a fuzzbox in 1964 - you can tell because one of the songs is called "Fuzzed."

RJ & The Riots!

People underestimate Filipino culture at their own peril:

Link

It's even on Bandcamp. Apparently they're still playing gigs, after almost 60 years. Dancing
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/10/2023 13:54
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
Here's an album by a rock 'n' roll group from the Philippines that was using a fuzzbox in 1964 - you can tell because one of the songs is called "Fuzzed."

RJ & The Riots!

People underestimate Filipino culture at their own peril:

Link

It's even on Bandcamp. Apparently they're still playing gigs, after almost 60 years. Dancing

And Spotify! Listening now, and it's a really good surf album. Right up there with what The Beach Boys were doing at that time. Very solid & enjoyable! Must be a bit of a cult classic! Totally throwing it in the rankings!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/10/2023 14:32
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
The grandfather of all weird and heavy music is Screamin' Jay Hawkins with his immaculate version of I Put a Spell on You.

Link

Holy shit! This was recorded in 1956! One Nine Five Six! That's just cray cray!!! I always though it was recorded in the mid-sixties.

Here's a great synopsis of the circumstances surrounding it's recording back in 1956...

From Bayard on RYM...

Quote:
The astonishing "I Put a Spell On You" was cut on 12 September 1956 in New York by Screamin' Jay Hawkins (vocal) accompanied by the Leroy Kirkland Orchestra comprising Sam "The Man" Taylor (tenor saxophone), Heywood Henry (baritone saxophone), Jimmy Shirley (guitar), Ernie Hayes (piano), Lloyd Trotman (bass) and Panama Francis (drums).

The song was actually written by Hawkins as a blues ballad, and indeed he cut "I Put a Spell on You" in that form in late 1955 when with Grand Records, but the recording was not released at that time.

When Jay and the band went into the recording studio that September 1956 day to cut the song they had still intended to perform it as a ballad, but the producer of the session sent out for food and drink and encouraged Hawkins and the band to get completely drunk (Hawkins claims he doesn't even remember the recording session).

Freed from all inhibitions, Screamin' Jay snarls, grunts, moans and screams through the song, his bizarre vocal performance transforming the song into a magnificent slice of off the wall rhythm & blues influenced rock 'n' roll. Stop time passages, fiercely riffing saxophones, powerful guitar and drums and a superb tenor saxophone solo from Taylor all add immeasurably to the excitement as Hawkins casts a magical spell over the one he lusts over to prevent her straying.

Clearly too far out even for audiences who at the time were wholeheartedly embracing the rock 'n' roll revolution, "I Put a Spell on You" failed to make any chart.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/29/2023 09:39
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Wow! Things really started getting HEAVY just the next year in 1964 ...

The Five Faces Of Manfred Mann by Manfred Mann

Can anyone think of anything HEAVIER than this in 1964 (or even prior)?!

Link

Link

Link

garage and jazz wouldn't get really heavier and demented until after '64 from what i understand
  • Visit poster's website