Album of the day (#4669): (What's The Story) Morning Glory?

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 10/01/2023 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#4669): (What's The Story) Morning Glory?
Today's album of the day

(What's The Story) Morning Glory? by Oasis (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1995.
Overall rank: 57
Average rating: 81/100 (from 2390 votes).

Tracks:
1. Hello
2. Roll With It
3. Wonderwall
4. Don't Look Back In Anger
5. Hey Now!
6. Untitled (AKA The Swamp Song Excerpt 1)
7. Some Might Say
8. Cast No Shadow
9. She's Electric
10. Morning Glory
11. Untitled (AKA The Swamp Song Excerpt 2)
12. Champagne Supernova

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 10/01/2023 20:25
  • Post subject:
Absolute classic.

Track picks
1. Hello
3. Wonderwall
4. Don't Look Back In Anger
8. Cast No Shadow
12. Champagne Supernova
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 10/01/2023 20:31
  • Post subject:
Absolute trash and an insult to music culture.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 10/02/2023 13:41
  • Post subject:
I found a bunch of old Oasis CD's recently and stuck them in the car, they're growing on me again in my old age to be honest.

• Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2023 18:13
  • Post subject:
the wonderwall meme has really gotten out of control. oasis are/were prototypical britpop, and there's nothing particularly trashy about that. sure, they didn't redefine rock's music vocabulary, but they're hardly an insult to music culture. they did the beatles / rolling stones rebrand pretty well.
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 10/03/2023 08:17
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:
the wonderwall meme has really gotten out of control. oasis are/were prototypical britpop, and there's nothing particularly trashy about that. sure, they didn't redefine rock's music vocabulary, but they're hardly an insult to music culture. they did the beatles / rolling stones rebrand pretty well.

The Wonderwall meme (that wasn't even good to begin with) isn't the only offender about this terrible album. It has a stunning lack of actual charm or content behind it, and the band did their best to hide it with walls of unnecessarily bad noisy guitars. Also, Liam is a runner-up for the most whiny vocals, he makes most emo singers sound like crooners. Among those who sounded like The Beatles or Rolling Stones for that matter, they were arguably the worst and most hollow, especially those who hit it commercially. And the fact that their music is still being played around me, and people are singing their praise when they were in the same era as so many great bands, particularly Blur obviously, speaks volumes about how much of an insult I see them to music culture.
Definitely Maybe is actually a pretty cool record with lost of really great songs but here they lost me and more.

"There are worse ways to spend what little time we have in this life than listening to Oasis, but I can't think of that many. If you are thinking of buying an Oasis album, turn off your computer, go and lie in a darkened room and only come out once you are feeling better. There are so many more interesting and fulfilling things you can do with your life rather than listening to Oasis, like counting all the bumps in a roll of woodchip wall paper, seeing if you can stick yourself to the underside of a bus using only spraymount or trying to turn fairy liquid back into real fairies.

If you see someone in your local music retailers picking up an Oasis album from the racks, grab them by the lapels and scream loudly in their face until they drop the offending album and then direct them to something a little more cultured and intelligent, like a spindle of blank CDs.

I really cannot advise you strongly enough to avoid the music of Oasis. If you are unfeasibly lucky and have somehow managed to avoid their music (you may have been lost in deep space for the last twelve years or have had your head encased in cement at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean), I can guarantee that within the first twenty seconds of hearing on Oasis song your previous predicament will seem like the most fulfilling experience of your life. It's sad to reflect that for four years every other song played on UK radio was by Oasis, every high-street shop played them non-stop over their PA systems, the majority of British television programes had Oasis in their soundtrack somewhere, they were played endlessly on the juke box in just about every pub I walked into in the late 90s (and I walked into a lot of pubs) and my psychotic ex-girlfriend played their albums endlessly. I ask you, why do you think I'm utterly sick of the sound of them?

"But Oasis are the greatest cultural export to come out of the UK in the last twenty years!" I hear you cry. No they are not, that's only what the journalists at NME and Q Magazine want you to believe and we know how laughably off the mark they can be as a barometer to musical taste. Oasis are a UK cultural export in a similar way to football hooliganism in that they underline every negative stereotype of English culture. To put it another way, Oasis are to England what Nickelback are to Canada.

If this hasn't convinced you to avoid all Oasis albums then there really is no more that can be done for you." - p_q, RateYourMusic.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 10/03/2023 20:35
  • Post subject:
I was never really a fan of theirs personally, but despite that I do own a copy of the album. (I forget how that happened, to be honest.) And today is the first time I learned that the two untitled tracks are actually "excerpts" from something called "The Swamp Song," so I guess I'll have to re-tag the MP3s now. Oh well... anyways, my guess is that they were originally planning to call this The Swamp Album, or maybe just The Swamp, and that "Swamp Song" was supposed to be some sort of "framing device," but then they decided against it because then people would think it was a concept album about swamps. Obviously none of the lyrical content has anything to do with swamps or wetlands of any kind, though I've always thought "She's Electric" is kind of catchy, perhaps even the best thing they ever recorded. So... maybe they could have called the album Electric Swampland, which would have at least been original (a band called Hive Mind released a cassingle called "Electricity Swamp" a decade later in 2006, but aside from that they'd have the term all to themselves). But let's face it, that probably would have been a stupid idea marketing-wise, and the fact that I personally came up with it 30 years after the fact basically proves it, since I've never been any good at marketing. Or ideas, for that matter.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 10/17/2023 02:00
  • Post subject:
I’ve only just recently exposed myself to the Oasis catalog in any detail. I think this is a pretty good record with a bunch of good hooks but I wouldn’t necessarily put it in the conversation for top 50 of all time.