Great 12" versions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 11/28/2023 02:55
  • Post subject:
I almost never bought 12-inch singles unless XTC or The Chameleons were somehow involved, but one of the very few exceptions was The The's "Uncertain Smile." The album version on Soul Mining is a completely different ("London") recording, and (to my ears) distinctly inferior. Meanwhile the two 7-inch versions are both under 5 minutes (same "New York" recording, but different fade-out points), so if you wanted the whole thing (almost exactly 10 minutes long) you had to buy the 12-inch. It wasn't available in digital form until 2002, when their 45 RPM comp was released. By that time I had already transferred it from the vinyl myself (I didn't share that with anyone, I promise!), so I never did buy 45 RPM. But for some reason (I assume a different remastering job) this sounds much better than the version that ended up on the "Deluxe" CD reissues of Soul Mining that came out in 2014.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Brigand99

United States

• Posted: 11/28/2023 07:19
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
I almost never bought 12-inch singles unless XTC or The Chameleons were somehow involved, but one of the very few exceptions was The The's "Uncertain Smile." The album version on Soul Mining is a completely different ("London") recording, and (to my ears) distinctly inferior. Meanwhile the two 7-inch versions are both under 5 minutes (same "New York" recording, but different fade-out points), so if you wanted the whole thing (almost exactly 10 minutes long) you had to buy the 12-inch. It wasn't available in digital form until 2002, when their 45 RPM comp was released. By that time I had already transferred it from the vinyl myself (I didn't share that with anyone, I promise!), so I never did buy 45 RPM. But for some reason (I assume a different remastering job) this sounds much better than the version that ended up on the "Deluxe" CD reissues of Soul Mining that came out in 2014.

Link

Yes. This is one of my top 10 songs of the '80s. And you're right that this is the best version. A long time ago I had the 12 in. and it had this version here and I think a couple 7 in. mixes. But then this version just disappeared for years and every time I tried to stream it, it was never the right version. The guitar and the piano parts were different and the beginning was different. And they just weren't as good as this one.
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnylad

• Posted: 11/28/2023 08:01
  • Post subject:
Brigand99 wrote:

Link

I like this one. I don't know anything about the artist but what a tune.
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnylad

• Posted: 11/28/2023 08:06
  • Post subject:
Meanwhile a lesser known Prince 12" because it wasn't so big a hit as 'Let's Go Crazy' et al. It was the fourth and final single off the Purple Rain soundtrack but the 12" is fantastic, he's done a better job on this that the other one I posted, probably.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Brigand99

United States

• Posted: 11/28/2023 13:31
  • Post subject:
Johnnylad wrote:
Meanwhile a lesser known Prince 12" because it wasn't so big a hit as 'Let's Go Crazy' et al. It was the fourth and final single off the Purple Rain soundtrack but the 12" is fantastic, he's done a better job on this that the other one I posted, probably.

Link

I never heard the extended version before. My favorite from that album is Take Me With U .
  • Visit poster's website
neilgee
Bless the list makers

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/03/2023 20:45
  • Post subject:
Managed to tape this off the John Peel show in 1978 I thought it was a brill, luxurious extended mix of a great reggae tune. Lost the tape years ago but fortunately here's Youtube to the rescue as it so often is these days. Kids today don't know how lucky they are to have Youtube:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnylad

• Posted: 12/03/2023 21:01
  • Post subject:
Brigand99 wrote:
Johnnylad wrote:

Link

I never heard the extended version before. My favorite from that album is Take Me With U .

I don't know if this is relevant but my experiences with Prince in vinyl were generally not good because I was expecting more music of the quality of Purple Rain from his earlier LPs and even from the album that followed it but of course there was nothing like Purple Rain. It seemed to come from nowhere and stood alone. Buying the other albums was always going to end in disappoint at that timeand Take me with you was one he never did an extended mix of.
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnylad

• Posted: 12/03/2023 21:04
  • Post subject:
so how about

Link
  • Visit poster's website
neilgee
Bless the list makers

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/03/2023 21:10
  • Post subject:
Just listening to this top notch version

Link
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2023 22:04
  • Post subject:
Here's one from the ol' Obscurities Bin. This band was from Scotland (I think), and only released this one single. The 12-inch version isn't much different from the 7-inch version, but it's great nevertheless. (Admittedly, the singer may be trying a little too hard to... well, something.) One of the guys in this band ended up playing with Altered Images, but as for the rest, I guess they all just went off and got regular jobs.

Link
  • Visit poster's website