I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2024 16:08
  • Post subject:

Light Extracts by Eivind Aarset ‎

March 10, 2024

◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈ ◈◈◈◈◈

Quote:
Damn, I was hoping this album would be a grower. Cold, yet classy Nu Jazz. The first track, "Empathic Guitar" is seriously wonderful and made the rest of the album seemed immersive and promising. However, I fall just short of being immersed. It's a nice sounding record and wonderfully produced. It just doesn't fit that niche of what I want Nu Jazz to sound like.

Rating: 76/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2024 16:08
  • Post subject:

Midtown 120 Blues by DJ Sprinkles

March 10, 2024

Quote:
I seriously love this album. I know essentially nothing about the deep house scene, yet I love how DJ Sprinkles essentially dispels the false narrative behind deep house and calls out the bullshit. It's the passion that makes me so impressed with this album. It seems like the general audience prefers the first half of tracks on this album. I think the real highlights occur starting with "Sisters, I Don't Know What This World Is Coming To." Also, the "Grand Central" sequence is stellar. The bass in part 1 moves me in an inexplicable way. There are good albums worth revisiting, there are great albums worth owning, but then there are absolute masterpieces that not only move you and make you want to own a physical copy-- they also urge you to explore their respective genre or scene. That's what Midtown 120 Blues does.

Rating: 95/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2024 16:11
  • Post subject:

Bitches Brew by Miles Davis

March 12, 2024

Quote:
Another monumental release where it’s echoes seem to travel into infinity. Sorry for the cheesy introduction sentence, but when you talk about Bitches Brew you find yourself talking in such a way. It’s one of those albums where everyone seems to revere it— across all genres and forms or art. The more jazz I listen to, the more I understand the greatness that is Miles Davis. There are a lot of jazz records where I feel limited to the band playing, and that’s not a bad thing. In fact, I find that to be a good thing for a lot of jazz releases. Whats impressive about Miles’s jazz fusion era, particularly this album, is how massive it sounds. It’s not just because there are a lot of band members in this release. This album waxes and wanes in intensity, but even the quieter moments feel so massive. It’s because Miles creates his own world. It’s a surreal, psychedelic, and imperfect paradise. By imperfect, I mean there is still fear and crime in the shadows. Perhaps that’s how people describe this albums as “an audio form of New York City.” And I can definitely see and agree with this interpretation. Its bustling at parts, mysterious in others. I will say though, I’ve listened to this album in multiple formats in multiple settings. I think the best setting that helped me really immerse myself into the world is on the beach. So much sensory stimulation goes on at the beach that complements the album. The clean and salty sea air, the people surrounding you, the coarse sand, the heat of the sun and the coolness of the water… In a way it’s another way to describe the album.

People are entitled to their opinion and all, but this is one of the very few instances where if you don’t like this album then I lose some trust in you. Wink

Perfection.

Rating: 100/100 Applause
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2024 16:13
  • Post subject:

On The Corner by Miles Davis

March 12, 2024

Quote:
What stuck with me in my memory for On the Corner was the very raw funk and Miles Davis's sharp horn, but I totally forgot how alien in sound this album can get. The Raga Rock and Indo Jazz influence made this album feel out of this world, at parts of course. But ultimately what this album sounds like is a fucking jam sesh on a hot summer's day on a New York City street corner. It's so hot, my headphones were steamin'. Yet another masterpiece in the jazz fusion era of Miles Davis.

Rating: 98/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2024 16:14
  • Post subject:

The Bends by Radiohead

March 13, 2024

Quote:
Conversations about Radiohead's discography seem to be exhausted by music nerds, especially those who have grown past the publications like Pitchfork or critics like Anthony Fantano. I bring this up because I don't think I've had an honest look-back into Radiohead's discography in a long, long time because of this fatigue. Radiohead is also one of those bands that, because they are so famous, opinions about them feel polarizing. Polarizing not due to controversy or the quality of the music, but in my experience, it's more along the lines of "God, everyone keeps talking about Radiohead, can we talk about something else?" Even those who think Radiohead is overrated will acknowledge, to some degree, that they are a legendary band. But I tend to avoid discussion on Radiohead because I just don't want to deal with the flare that may come with it.

However, this is my listening journey and I get to say whatever the hell I want *wink*. Yeah, I'm not necessarily a Radiohead fanatic, but I consider myself a casual listener. I tend to gravitate towards Kid A, which causes me to forget about The Bends. It's understandable why this album, while it's overall very positively reviewed, gets a "third wheel" sort of attitude in discussion. It's blatant alternative rock that really sounds like its time. Some people, like me, might enjoy that. There are definitely others who don't like that and they're entitled to that opinion. Revisiting this album was a real blast-from-the-past for me. Early CGI graphics infiltrated my mind, along with 90s fashion and font styles. The songs on here are so fun and just so... "rock." It's how I imagine "rock" to be that's not classic rock. I enjoy Thom Yorke's vocal performance and Johnny Greenwood's guitar shredding (at times). The opener, "Planet Telex," is so kickass. "(Nice Dream)" has that perfect melancholic feel. The album does get a bit boring toward the end, but the ending track, "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" saves this album from being ignorable at the end. But the highs on this album are serious highs and I can't help but give this album a favorable review.

Rating: 93/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2024 16:16
  • Post subject:

Lotus by Santana

March 14, 2024

Quote:
Before I discuss my thoughts on this live album, I want to mention that the format I listened to is the 2017 Japanese SACD release by Sony. This version contains more songs from the two day performance, not sure if it's all of them.

Lotus is definitely one of the best live albums I've ever heard. It's presentation is so magnificent, including the packaging. This live album feels more like a recording of a ceremony than a concert. I attribute this to which songs are performed and how they are performed. It's not simply Santana playing the hits. Some of the songs on the track list don't seem to appear on Santana's studio releases up to that point. One of them is an excerpt from Pharoah Sanders's Karma, which is cool considering the vocalist from that album, Leon Thomas, is the lead vocalist for this live album. But aside from that, the other songs seem to be spliced from jam sessions, which I definitely love. Also, do people not enjoy drum solos anymore? "Kyoto" deserves more love. It's an awesome 10 minute drum solo that I find quite enjoyable. If you enjoy Santana's early work, you gotta check out this awesome live album.

Rating: 96/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2024 16:18
  • Post subject:

Pink Moon by Nick Drake

March 15, 2024

Quote:
I'll keep it real with y'all, I am a sensitive dude. Slight interpersonal conflict really bothers me and I am super sensitive to teasing, even when the intention is well and a sign of friendliness. This is why I tend not to participate in a lot of online discussion or make funny comments on album pages because if someone claps back at me, I get either very angry or very sad. Why do I bring this up? Because Pink Moon is an album I find solace in when my interpersonal world feels disturbed. The day I revisited this for this project, I got screamed at by a TSA agent because I incorrectly inserted my driver's license into the machine for it to read. I get their job is stressful, but damn I don't fly every day so sorry if I make a mistake when going through the checkpoint. Anyways, on the plane ride this was the first album I put on and my anxiousness melted away...

Pink Moon is such a perfectly concise piece of art. I can't think of another album that is so precise with evoking an emotional response with the bare minimum instruments, recording technics, and minimum duration for this thing to be considered an album. The entire album is Nick Drake and his guitar (with the exception of the piano in the intro track), which is interesting considering his previous two albums, Five Leaves Left and Bryter Layter, were very lush and orchestral. But I prefer this set up over the other two albums. It feels so intimate, like he's your friend. Also, "Things Behind the Sun" is easily one of my favorite songs ever.

I can't help but mention the enigmatic character that is Nick Drake. This is his last recording before his overdose, which was unclear whether it was intentional or not. Reading about him when I first listened to this album well over a decade ago gave me chills. There is essentially no recorded footage of the man except for a video of possibly him walking around a festival in the 70s (but his back is turned toward the camera) and him being in the audience of a Humble Pie video (not confirmed). He struggled to obtain fame while he was alive and the acclaim did not come until after his death. It is known that he suffered from depression. That layer alone can allow listeners to answer so many questions in their minds. Characters like this in music history are the most fascinating to me because your mind fills in the character you want the artist to be.

It is interesting that this album continues to be an all-time favorite for me considering my biggest interests lie in metal, psychedelia, jazz, and ambient. It nails the bulls-eye for intimacy that people love in singer-songwriter albums. Don't see this falling out of the top 100 anytime soon...

Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2024 16:19
  • Post subject:

Harmony In Ultraviolet by Tim Hecker

March 15, 2024

Quote:
You gotta appreciate an aptly titled album. Synesthesia is so evident with this album. Honestly, I think his album cover for Love Streams would be sufficient for the cover of this masterpiece as well. Bright light with echoes of blues and violet fills my mind with these albums. It encapsulates what I love about noise music. The noise is lush and deeply psychedelic. The track sequencing is also marvelous. This type of music conveys emotions and feelings that any other genre would fail to do. I don't know whether to use my crutch words of "transcendental" or "liminal" will sufficiently explain the feeling I get when listening to Harmony in Ultraviolet. This is music for an elevated plane.

Rating: 99/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2024 03:17
  • Post subject:
Still working through some entries I added over the past couple weeks. About to load them into here now.
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2024 03:18
  • Post subject:

'77 Live by 裸のラリーズ [Les Ral...Dénudés]

March 17, 2024

Lol, I am just going through all the 100/100s huh? I may have an explanation for that. When I travel, I tend to save my most favorite albums for the occasion since I don't fly frequently. It should explain my streak of high-scoring albums.

Quote:
While the synthesthesia for an album like Harmony in Ultraviolet is sometimes accurate, I find the artwork color for '77 Live to be pretty inaccurate. The cover looks cool, don't get me wrong, but the harsh noise moments on this record is so deeply psychedelic and colorful. This blood-red color does not quite match the bright colors of the record. But that does not negate the score from this record. This album is a serious contender for my favorite live album ever. There has not been a formal studio album release for Les Rallizes Dénudés, and sure there is some archival and bootleg stuff, but because there is a lack of official studio releases I tend to view their official live album releases as on the same level of a studio release. And if this album was not titled '77 Live, I probably wouldn't even think it was a live album since you don't hear any audience noise, at least not to my memory. This is a long, and harsh noise rock album. Not brutal, but certainly harsh. But because the noise is so visceral, it feels so lively which contributes to the psychedelic feel of the album. It's so weird too. The vocal performance is so unexpected if you've never heard Les Rallizes Dénudés' music before. There is some reverb which makes it sound somewhat alien. Also, the noise gets so loud that it just overpowers anything else going on. I saw someone describe the sound of the album as if the tape was being melted due to how loud the music was being played, and I agree! And I think that's good! The songs are all very long, with the finale going well past 20 minutes, but it makes this release incredibly hypnotic. Despite its length, I end up wanting more and more, which is always a good thing.

Last edited by Anti on 03/31/2024 03:22; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website