Moderation question re: Khan's Love and Devotion

View previous topic :: View next topic
Rhyner
soft silly music is meaningful magical

United States

• Posted: 1 hour ago
  • Post subject: Moderation question re: Khan's Love and Devotion

Love And Devotion by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

I don't think the details listed for this album are correct. It's a compilation of Love Songs and Devotional Songs by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, both of which were released in 1992. Currently the year listed on BEA is 1988. That didn't make sense to me so I did some digging and found other oddities.

Here's my best understanding of the situation. Love & Devotion, with the album art and track listing as represented here, is a 2013 compilation of all the tracks from both Love Songs and Devotional Songs (12 tracks total, all 6 from each album). An earlier compilation of these two albums exists as well, with different album art and track listing. It's called Devotional and Love Songs and it flips the order (Devotional before Love) and leaves off the last track of each album (thus 10 tracks total). It also came out in 1992. But these two compilations are not considered different versions of the same release on Discogs (D&LS and L&D).

I see two possible resolutions. The first is that we consider these two compilations to be different releases and just change the year on Love and Devotion to 2013. The other possibility is to consider Love and Devotion to be a re-titled re-release (with bonus tracks) of Devotional and Love Songs, in which case the year, track listing, and album art would need to be adjusted. I'll leave it up to those who better understand BEA's policies to choose the correct course of action. I don't want to mess anything up.

Furthermore, it seems that the two albums Love Songs and Devotional Songs are themselves re-releases of Qawwal And Party Volume Two and Best Of Qawwal And Party Volume One, released in 1988 and 1986 respectively. These titles hint that they might also be compilations, but I can't be bothered to try figuring that out. According to Global Rhythm's Chris Nickson, "Throughout the ’70s and early ’80s he released literally hundreds of cassettes—trying to make order of his entire discography would be a nightmare." My small taste of this issue has led me to agree.
  • Visit poster's website