In the Future When All's Well

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 08/03/2012 21:38
  • Post subject: In the Future When All's Well
I tried making a thread about the topic here before but it never came out right. I couldn't get all my points in order and it didn't make sense. For that reason everything here will be short.

I want a new chapter in music. I want a new scene that is exciting. All this emphasis on bedroom artists in this decade and the one after is boring me. Artists should be aiming to be the best in the world. Labels like "Rock", "indie" "punk" etc should be locked in the past and things should move forward. Forget the "spirit of rock n roll" I want to have the spirit of something else. Something that hasn't been named yet.

Great music albums have been released in the past decade but I am missing something. Maybe the rocky waters of the world's economy is only making me more disgruntled? I don't know. The majority of great albums being released are big artists from the 90's and early 00's doing good with their trade while most of the newer/debut artists are completely divided on their own rocky outposts in the ocean.

For this thread, let's have a sit around the camp fire talk about a possible year zero in music coming in the 2010's. Try and keep it positive... or make a case how I should be more positive. What ever you choose.

P.S. I didn't say new music was bad. Individual albums are great. It's just that... I feel an absence of something.
Kiki

• Posted: 08/05/2012 21:22
  • Post subject:
Does no one want to talk with me? Sad
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 08/05/2012 21:43
  • Post subject:
I think you're right, but be patient... major shifts in culture require time. Less so today with our globalized, technological world, but that makes us even more impatient.
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/05/2012 22:14
  • Post subject:
I think there's been great albums released in the past ten or so years but nothing I would call truly groundbreaking. Naming my favourite ever artists there wouldn't be any who's debut was released in the last decade.

To have something brand new come along in a similar way to how hip hop came from absolutely nowhere, would be great.
Wombi

• Posted: 08/06/2012 00:48
  • Post subject:
I think the biggest musical shift over the last ten years has been an almost complete homogenization of genres across the board. You yourself say "Labels like "Rock", "indie" "punk" etc should be locked in the past" and I think to a degree they have been. It's almost impossible to use a single genre label on an album anymore. Anyone who is still in a genre 'camp' as such is way behind the times. And you see this particualrly with Classic Rockers and Metalheads who want to hold up their form as some kind of truth in music d'oh! .

Some may not think it's a good thing but I can generally only see it being a good thing. Complete artistic freedom. And that's a big enough shift for me to be satisfied at least.

It's logical conclusion is often of course...Crunkcore.... Anxious but uh every massive shift has its problems.

Last edited by Wombi on 08/06/2012 00:58; edited 1 time in total
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/06/2012 00:56
  • Post subject:
HigherThanTheSun wrote:
I think there's been great albums released in the past ten or so years but nothing I would call truly groundbreaking. Naming my favourite ever artists there wouldn't be any who's debut was released in the last decade.

To have something brand new come along in a similar way to how hip hop came from absolutely nowhere, would be great.

Eek gawd. d'oh! Come on, really? Funeral, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Ys, Sound Of Silver, Hospice & I Am A Bird Now are all groundbreaking albums.

And I think 'dubstep' is that 'thing that came out of no where' unfortunately. Neutral But yeah, something new would be cool. Smile Post-Psychedelic or sumthin like that.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/06/2012 01:26
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Eek gawd. d'oh! Come on, really? Funeral, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Ys, Sound Of Silver, Hospice & I Am A Bird Now are all groundbreaking albums.

And I think 'dubstep' is that 'thing that came out of no where' unfortunately. Neutral But yeah, something new would be cool. Smile Post-Psychedelic or sumthin like that.

Not sure I agree, don't even particularly like half of those albums. The rest are good, great even, but hardly like they're starting a new genre or anything. I'm talking about a new artist coming along like something you've never heard before (but that I actually love), I don't know like Joy Division, or Stone Roses, or Nirvana or Massive Attack or something like that. At the end of the day Funeral is just a very good indie album and ABDTF just a very good rap record, original yes but I wouldn't really call them groundbreaking.

Trouble is I don't have a clue what I'm looking for, I'm not a musician so I'm not going to the one making it, just praying that someone else can.

And yeah I think we can all do without dubstep in our lives.
Yourselfisntsteam

• Posted: 08/06/2012 01:31
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Hardly for any of those. On a musical level its mostly familiar structures being kinda creatively used. I like most of those albums though.

Perhaps the idea of the big out of nowhere change in musical direction is a bit of a myth? Like the punk explosion was preceded by all sorts of in hindsight "punky" stuff. And the grunge/alternative thing was just the spreading of a lot of 80's ideas into the mass public mind. If you do enough research generally music appears to evolve more slowly, with occasional moments when something is picked up commercially and treated as if it was new. Early rock and roll and late 60's stuff might be an exception.

We shouldn't worry about some big new movement. If it happens soon it happens soon if it doesn't it doesn't, there will always be some good new music. Or maybe something is brewing under our noses but were all too stupid to see it.
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 08/06/2012 01:32
  • Post subject:
I'm writing an album I intend to become massive from. It's not revolutionary and it won't create a genre, but it's got such a mix and something for everybody on it. Basically, there are at least 50 different artists who influenced this album, and what I hope to accomplish is say, catch a Nirvana fan, or a Green Day fan, with the first song, and as the album goes on possibly get them interested in some of the other genres that are featured on it. Similarly, I could catch a Dream Theater fan with one of the three suites on the album, and possibly get them interested in the other songs.

Everything from pop rock, to ballads, to jazz/fusion, to grunge, to punk rock, to progressive rock and progressive metal can be found on this. It's a weird mix, and I really don't want to give much more away about it, but if I manage to create it and finish it in the way I've envisioned it - so far the first track is finished as far as writing it goes, I just need to record it - I seriously think it will change things.

As I said, musically, it's not revolutionary, but we could see a revival of the narrative concept album - I really don't think there's been an outright fantastic one since The Downward Spiral - and also see songs that are longer than 10 minutes, even 20, along with double albums, being better-recieved by the general masses than they have.

However, that's ambitious. I'm an ambitious but realistic person, and while I aim for a goal that high, I know fully well how it could blow up in my face. My ambitions aside, I do think the 2010's will have the proverbial "year zero". Something's gotta happen, whether I do it or someone else does, soon.
  • Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 08/06/2012 01:47
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

One of them is.