Rankings for year charts

View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 03/06/2013 16:15
  • Post subject: Rankings for year charts
I was just thinking that perhaps have two, or even three, separate weighting systems for the albums in year charts would perhaps give us a more accurate overall chart for those years or decades. For example, an album that is towards the top of only one overall chart can still find itself above albums that are in dozens of year charts for that year, and I don't think this is fair or accurate. What I suggest (though I understand it may take some work to put into action) is to have an album in a year chart worth virtually no rank points towards the main overall chart (as it works now), but to have a separate points system whereby the same album would have more rank points towards year or decade charts. Take Czarface for example. It could continue to only contribute one rank point to the overall chart for each time it is placed near the top of a year chart, but perhaps contribute 50 points to a separate year chart system so that it is clear that it is a highly regarded album from that year. I understand if I haven't articulated this very well, and that it may be confusing, and that it may even be totally impractical to do, but I think it's worth considering.

Thanks.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/07/2013 08:56
  • Post subject: Re: Rankings for year charts
Hi, yes if an album is an overall chart it's worth more points than a year chart, so an album could be ranked much higher overall even if it had appeared in more year/decade charts. A lot of debate occurred before the present system was implemented, and in the end the only workable system that was easy for everyone to understand, was extensible, and led to consistent rankings between the different year/decade/overall charts was to have a single 'overall' figure.
  • Visit poster's website
drivebytornado

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2013 21:35
  • Post subject:
I agree with lethalnipple.

Here's a great example of this:

Look at the 2013 year chart. The #14 album of the year is 50pRap by Maggs and Trish, which is in ONE chart. I realize it's early in the year, but other albums in the 11-20 range have as many as 17, 23, and 26 charts. There is another with only 2 charts, but it illustrates this same point.

The Maggs and Trish album gets a rank score of 80 because "oaktree" created a "Top 5 Greatest Albums" chart which contains THREE Maggs and Trish albums and two albums by The Dubliners. Is this a serious list? I highly doubt it.

As a result the 2013 chart becomes much less meaningful, when a user can come to the site, create a Greatest albums chart, and have a big impact on the yearly rankings because the weights are so much higher on Greatest Albums charts than they are on Yearly charts.

I don't think we would necessarily need to have separate weights for overall vs. decade or yearly charts.

What I would recommend is having user weights applied. If a user only has a Greatest albums chart (and no decade or yearly charts), then their Greatest Albums chart should be weighted down so as to not have such a huge impact on the charts. I currently fall into this category as I'm new to the site, but I still think it would improve the charts, or at least minimize this type of abuse.

My apologies to any Maggs and Trish fans out there who do really think they have 3 of the top 5 albums of all time.
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 03/08/2013 22:30
  • Post subject:
drivebytornado wrote:
lethalnipple

Laughing Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/09/2013 10:28
  • Post subject:
drivebytornado wrote:
Look at the 2013 year chart. The #14 album of the year is 50pRap by Maggs and Trish, which is in ONE chart. I realize it's early in the year, but other albums in the 11-20 range have as many as 17, 23, and 26 charts. There is another with only 2 charts, but it illustrates this same point.

The Maggs and Trish album gets a rank score of 80 because "oaktree" created a "Top 5 Greatest Albums" chart which contains THREE Maggs and Trish albums and two albums by The Dubliners. Is this a serious list? I highly doubt it.

As a result the 2013 chart becomes much less meaningful, when a user can come to the site, create a Greatest albums chart, and have a big impact on the yearly rankings because the weights are so much higher on Greatest Albums charts than they are on Yearly charts.

I don't think we would necessarily need to have separate weights for overall vs. decade or yearly charts.

What I would recommend is having user weights applied. If a user only has a Greatest albums chart (and no decade or yearly charts), then their Greatest Albums chart should be weighted down so as to not have such a huge impact on the charts. I currently fall into this category as I'm new to the site, but I still think it would improve the charts, or at least minimize this type of abuse.

My apologies to any Maggs and Trish fans out there who do really think they have 3 of the top 5 albums of all time.

I like the idea of different weights and this might help to improve the quality of the charts. Maybe this could be tied to member levels so that weights would increase the more you participate.
  • Visit poster's website