Vashti Bunyan!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 03/18/2013 07:56
  • Post subject:
JADD is awesome (considering it for my chart). I'm gonna listen to Lookaftering.

As for Animal Collective, "Spirit They've Vanished, Spirit They're Gone" is a masterpiece, not sure about the other stuff of theirs I've listened to. Have you tried it Brand? I'd especially recommend the opener, which is....how do I even describe it....
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 03/18/2013 19:56
  • Post subject:
Eggman/Walrus/Taxman wrote:
JADD is awesome (considering it for my chart). I'm gonna listen to Lookaftering.

As for Animal Collective, "Spirit They've Vanished, Spirit They're Gone" is a masterpiece, not sure about the other stuff of theirs I've listened to. Have you tried it Brand? I'd especially recommend the opener, which is....how do I even describe it....

Great! Tell me how you like Lookaftering!

I'll add that to my to-listen playlist. Razz
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 03/18/2013 21:14
  • Post subject:
STGSTV vanished is a masterpiece, but it might not be their most accessible work, that would either be Merriweather Post Pavilion, Strawberry Jam, or Feels.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/19/2013 21:22
  • Post subject:
Interesting thread...

I was lucky enough to see Vashti live some years back (around the time of Lookaftering) at the Royal Festival Hall in London... supporting Stephen Malkmus & Jicks (yes! really!). She was so fragile and nervous, but every bit as beautiful and ethereal as you would imagine her to be. You could have heard a pin drop...

I'd suggest for anyone who likes JADD it might be worth investigating Linda Perhacs' Parallelograms (bit more Americana, but similar sort of vein) or for a truly beautiful English folk voice, anything by Anne Briggs. There's also an amazing compilation (available in the UK, although you should be able to download it) called Fuzzy Felt Folk, which albeit essentially a collection of weird 60s folk songs for kids has a couple of corking moments on it, including this:

Link

• Visit poster's website

• Posted: 03/19/2013 21:36
  • Post subject:
noWaxJim wrote:
Interesting thread...

I was lucky enough to see Vashti live some years back (around the time of Lookaftering) at the Royal Festival Hall in London... supporting Stephen Malkmus & Jicks (yes! really!). She was so fragile and nervous, but every bit as beautiful and ethereal as you would imagine her to be. You could have heard a pin drop...

I'd suggest for anyone who likes JADD it might be worth investigating Linda Perhacs' Parallelograms (bit more Americana, but similar sort of vein) or for a truly beautiful English folk voice, anything by Anne Briggs. There's also an amazing compilation (available in the UK, although you should be able to download it) called Fuzzy Felt Folk, which albeit essentially a collection of weird 60s folk songs for kids has a couple of corking moments on it, including this:

Link

You saw Vashti live? Wow. I idolize her as much as I idolize Syd Barrett, and her probably more so. XD Such delicate beauty is very rare in this world.

Ahh! Thanks so much for the recommendations! Very Happy
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/19/2013 21:42
  • Post subject:
Brandon Raber wrote:
You saw Vashti live? Wow. I idolize her as much as I idolize Syd Barrett, and her probably more so. XD Such delicate beauty is very rare in this world.

Ahh! Thanks so much for the recommendations! Very Happy

A pleasure.

Vashti still tours occasionally, the UK at least. And, in an ironic twist, she played a year or two back at an arts venue no more than about 15 minutes drive from my house. At the same venue where I saw Animal Collective for the first time...
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 03/19/2013 21:43
  • Post subject:
noWaxJim wrote:
A pleasure.

Vashti still tours occasionally, the UK at least. And, in an ironic twist, she played a year or two back at an arts venue no more than about 15 minutes drive from my house. At the same venue where I saw Animal Collective for the first time...

I really need to get to the UK. Neutral