BEA interview #3 : BrandonMeow

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 08/05/2013 00:49
  • Post subject: BEA interview #3 : BrandonMeow
A miracle allowed me and Brandon to talk in very intimate circumstances, just him and me, close to each other. I could feel his warm breath on my face.

drakonium: OK, something basic to begin. I guess music is today an important part of your life. How did it happen?

BrandonMeow: I'm not sure. My step brothers and their friends got me into music to begin with, and I liked Korn and shit like that. I liked that kind of stuff for a while until I made a Goodreads account and met Tayyab (Eggman/Facetious) and he stuffed Captain Beefheart and stuff like that down my throat. I was also sort of getting into the stuff my dad liked, and I was the biggest Pink Floyd fan ever for a while. Hmm..Then I got dragged to BEA. BEA is like the final boss of musical listening. It's like I have all my music listening gym badges. I think. Meow. That was it.

drakonium: You're pretty known for your love of cute music. How did BEA have an influence on that? Korn, Beefheart and Pink Floyd are not really "cute". Did you discover Newsom, Bunyan, Grouper, Grimes, etc, through the site?

BrandonMeow: I'm known for my love of cute music? I'm not even that into twee pop yet! Razz Yeah, I guess I did. I think BEA kind of helped me find my own tastes. So, yeah, go BEA, you made my tastes cuter!
ANd Beefheart is adorable, Idk what you're talking about.

drakonium: You also seem to have a strong love for literature, at least stronger than most people here. How has it influenced your enjoyment of music, and what you expect from it? And did music influence your experience of literature, too?

BrandonMeow: Dude, most people here? We're the only people here. This room is empty. Hehe. Anyways, I guess it definitely does influence my tastes and makes me appreciate and love Joanna Newsom so much but other than that I don't think it has much. While I do love literature, I'm no expert on it and I'm not able to appreciate every aspect of it. I'm not able to tell a good lyricist from a bad one for the most part, as long as they use pretty sounding words, haha. Music hasn't really influenced my experience of literature at all except I had a song to go with events in a book I love (Drowning Man by The Cure is about my favourite character in one of my favourite series, Gormenghast)

drakonium: Let's go back to a more basic question : how do you consume your music?

BrandonMeow: Eh, for the most part I just listen to it on Grooveshark or Youtube but when I get money I buy cds or vinyl of my favourites. Hoping to build a collection but at the moment I just listen to it in whatever I can, you know?

drakonium: So you're against illegal download?

BrandonMeow: Well, I do that too. XD I'm not for or against, I just don't really think about it. XD I'm a selfish devourer of art. I mean, I try to compensate my favourite artists if I can by buying their stuff, but you know...

drakonium: Have you been to a lot of concerts? If yes, which ones?

BrandonMeow: Not a lot. I've seen Roger Waters perform The Wall and what is left of The Who perform Quadrophenia and a few of their hits. They were all right, that was from when I was getting into my dad's music. The Wall show was pretty theatrical and I did like it, The Who's show really did drag and the endless arm spinning of Pete Townshend was such a gimmick... I hope to see Neutral Milk Hotel, Godspeed! You Black Emperor and Animal Collective in October at a festival thingamajig.

drakonium: Do you watch or listen to live music from your favorite artists, then? Do you feel that it's an important part of their art and that you're missing something?

BrandonMeow: Sometimes, not always. I think it is important, but I still think you can feel and appreciate the music with recordings, studio or live or whatever, though I definitely want to go to some concerts so I can have an energetic and direct experience with the music. Lots of ways to experience music, I want to experience them aaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllll.

drakonium: What ways are you thinking about? What do you think about the importance of the context, as opposed to the content?

BrandonMeow: I don't know. I guess, just what memories you create with music. Right now I'm simply getting the music; since I just listen in my bed in my room, but I'd like to listen to music I like in social environments too (even though I'm kind of asocial), or just...anywhere that isn't my room, haha. You kind of have to make memories with music if you truly want it to be a huge part of your life. But my life is boring right now, so I guess I'll just make the memories later. Razz I think what you said makes sense, hahaha. Hmm...I think that the content is the most important for me personally though I can see how context is important. Too lazy and dumb to elaborate. Razz

drakonium: I remember your post about how your life isn't epic enough. Do you think your love for music has been a cause or a consequence? Is there even a link? Do you think music will help you to like you life more, or do you feel that it's just a step in your life and that you'll have to move away from it at some point? In short, how do you feel about the role of music in your life, past, present, or future?

BrandonMeow: I think music is just my means of escapism and comfort until I can really do something I want to do. I don't think it is limiting me, but I don't think it will help in the long run. It is just something I like, you know. Art always makes life feel fulfilled and fruitful....Yes, I think it is just a step, like you said. Once I can get my licence I am going to drive across the country to be with my girlfriend (long distance relationships are no fun) and then I think my life will start there. But then...I think music will be there every step of the way. It kind of is a setting, I have to make the events, and get the plot going. I remember listening to Loveless...When You Sleep was playing, and I thought, "I love her so much and I will drive from NC to CA just to be with her and then I will go on adventures with her!" So it is kind of a subtle force in my life...yet at the moment it consumes so much of my life. Sorry for the rambling answer. Hope it makes sense.

drakonium: Well I guess we're done then. Last question though, because it does actually bug me : are you really just 14? I mean, you look more mature than me!

BrandonMeow: Yes, I am 14. I will be turning 15 in a few days though! August 10th! I expect cake.

This thing was pretty fun to run. I look forward to doing another one if everyone is OK with it. That means I'd really like you to point out what you didn't like here. It was much harder than expected and I'm not sure about me at all. Is it too short? Have I forgotten some key questions? Are there useless ones? Come on, tell me everything.

Last edited by drakonium on 08/05/2013 00:53; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 08/05/2013 00:53
  • Post subject:
Why'd you cut out the part where you confessed your love for me? Crying or Very sad
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 08/05/2013 01:08
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
Why'd you cut out the part where you confessed your love for me? Crying or Very sad

I forgot it x(

It was a bit too personal, though. Our love must forever remain secret Not talking
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 08/05/2013 01:19
  • Post subject:
That was really good Applause Well done you guys
  • Visit poster's website
Torchlin

Portugal

• Posted: 08/05/2013 01:55
  • Post subject:
A good interview but I expected to see a lot more smileys for some reason. Razz
  • Visit poster's website
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 08/05/2013 04:54
  • Post subject:
These should include a picture of the one being interviewed.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 08/05/2013 05:13
  • Post subject:
Well done! I will forever think of Brandon as some really cute little kid.

• Posted: 08/06/2013 07:26
  • Post subject:
Bumping this just because some dadrocker bumped a bunch of very old and very lame and very boring threads. I enjoy reading these interviews

• Posted: 08/06/2013 19:34
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:
These should include a picture of the one being interviewed.

Here ya go:

I need a haircut. My nose looks weird. That's the webcam's fault, my nose is normal. Razz
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/06/2013 19:37
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
Here ya go:

I need a haircut. My nose looks weird. That's the webcam's fault, my nose is normal. Razz

Nice Skyrim map.
  • Visit poster's website