Johnny Borrell's debut solo album sells 594 copies...

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 07/30/2013 16:09
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
I don't really know what's normal. i guess we'd have to establish what a normal level artist would be.

To give you an idea. My friend's company worked PR for a relatively well known band in Portugal who had toured with Flaming Lips. In Portugal they're a headlining act. They were attempting to break into the US, so they paid at least tens of thousands for marketing and publicity in anticipation of their album. They even paid to fly out American writers out to Portugal for a week.

The week that album was released in the U.S., I believe it sold less than 20 copies. No joke.

I think Ane Brun also sold less than 100 copies in the US during the first week of release with her last album. That's on a tour where she was opening for Peter Gabriel and sold out a decent NYC venue like Bowery Ballroom for a solo show.

Thanks for that, very interesting and really quite eye-opening. It really is a shame how few records the vast majority of artists sell.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/30/2013 16:32
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Thanks for that, very interesting and really quite eye-opening. It really is a shame how few records the vast majority of artists sell.

Yeah, my occasional inside information has been quite revealing of how things actually work. My friend recently worked as a Senior Publicist at Universal. A lot of his job was overseeing budgets for many of their lesser known bands. Major labels spend outrageous sums of money to give their artists a chance. But a lot of the time, it doesn't really pay off financially, even if that band does get International exposure.

I'm also sure sales numbers are totally fudged by major labels to make them seem better than they are. And then a lot of sales #s are strictly based on distribution. Like say, Celine Dion releases a new album and every KMart in the United States orders 50 copies to sell at their stores. It would appear that Celine Dion's new album is killing it. but if no one buys those records at the stores, it's meaningless.

People are all up in arms about Spotify and streaming services. And honestly, the artists deserve bit more money than their receiving. But their costs are also wayyyyy down. If an artist decides to release an album in non-physical formats only, they no longer need to pay for the printing, shipping, and distribution costs of the physical records. In order to have a presence on record store shelves, the label needs to have a larger number of copies printer than they'll actually sell. So naturally there's a very high percentage of waste accumulated.
  • Visit poster's website