Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2016 05:31
  • Post subject:
Space-Dementia wrote:
I could never really get into any of Gorillaz' full albums, but they have some awesome singles: Rhinestone Eyes, Clint Eastwood, Feel Good Inc, Melancholy Hill, etc.
Coincidentally I have the same opinion about Blur pre-The Magic Whip, which is one of my favorite albums of all time. They have some great songs (Coffee & TV, Parklife, Girls & Boys, Tender, The Universal), but their albums are generally too long and have a lot of filler.

Totally agree with this and the Blur comment... rad songs... ok albums.
  • Visit poster's website
Grzywa

Poland

• Posted: 03/30/2016 05:41
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Space-Dementia wrote:
Coincidentally I have the same opinion about Blur pre-The Magic Whip, which is one of my favorite albums of all time. They have some great songs (Coffee & TV, Parklife, Girls & Boys, Tender, The Universal), but their albums are generally too long and have a lot of filler.

While I could agree that their Britpop-era albums are hit-or-miss at times (especially The Great Escape), their later work is much more consistent albumwise (including The Magic Whip). I consider 13 as a 90s masterpiece, easily their best and one of my favourite albums of all time.

I'd be curious to hear which songs/songs on 13 you consider to be filler, though.
SleepDealer

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/30/2016 12:32
  • Post subject:
The Coasters.
Juiceman96

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2016 17:27
  • Post subject:
Nero, Nightmares, and Plain White Tees
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2016 00:09
  • Post subject:
Grzywa wrote:

While I could agree that their Britpop-era albums are hit-or-miss at times (especially The Great Escape), their later work is much more consistent albumwise (including The Magic Whip). I consider 13 as a 90s masterpiece, easily their best and one of my favourite albums of all time.

I'd be curious to hear which songs/songs on 13 you consider to be filler, though.[/quote]

I'll be honest, I haven't listened to all their albums... I just remember listening to their self titled and Demon Days and thinking the album was ok, but key songs were amazing. Same with Parklife.

Sounds like I need to check out 13. It made the top 100 of the 90s... so looks like I will when I get to the 90s Smile.
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2016 03:55
  • Post subject:
Grzywa wrote:

I'd be curious to hear which songs/songs on 13 you consider to be filler, though.

I do agree that 13 is one of their better albums for sure, easily better than Parklife, but still, songs like B.L.U.R.E.M.I, Mellow Song, Trailer Park, and Optigan 1 sort of lose me. Also, some of the longer songs, like Caramel, Trimm Trabb, and Battle aren't bad songs, it's just they have distinct sections within them that I enjoy a lot and distinct sections that I don't really at all. Maybe if at some point in my life I'm feeling the way Damon did when he wrote most of the songs on here, then I'll enjoy this album a lot more, but overall there seems to be a lot of I guess blank space on it. Although Coffee & TV and Tender are two of my favorite Blur songs.[/quote]
Grzywa

Poland

• Posted: 03/31/2016 07:34
  • Post subject:
Space-Dementia wrote:
songs like B.L.U.R.E.M.I, Mellow Song, Trailer Park, and Optigan 1 sort of lose me.

Shocked I love Mellow Song, both the acoustic first part and especially the transition into the instrumental bit.

Trailerpark is the emotional climax of the album for me... how about the guitar bridge ? The punky coda is also splendid.

B.L.U.R.E.M.I. may not be the highlight of 13, but Blur always had this tradition of putting one straightforward punk song on each album (Jubilee, Chinese Bombs, We've Got a File On You), and it adds to the variety of the album.

Space-Dementia wrote:
Also, some of the longer songs, like Caramel, Trimm Trabb, and Battle aren't bad songs, it's just they have distinct sections within them that I enjoy a lot and distinct sections that I don't really at all.

I understand why you may find them drag on a little (especially Trimm Trabb), but for me they fit the album well as a whole. Battle seems to be a musical response to OK Computer.

Space-Dementia wrote:
Maybe if at some point in my life I'm feeling the way Damon did when he wrote most of the songs on here, then I'll enjoy this album a lot more, but overall there seems to be a lot of I guess blank space on it.

This could be the point: I was going through a break-up at the time when it was released Smile

Space-Dementia wrote:
Although Coffee & TV and Tender are two of my favorite Blur songs.

For me they're obviously an important part of the album, but not Blur's strongest singles. So back to square one: in my opinion 13 a great "concept" album, combining a variety of influences (rock, indie, electronic, progressive) into a turn of the centuries break-up tale.

One more comment: this was Damon's peak as a vocalist. Space is the plaaaaaaaace
Grzywa

Poland

• Posted: 03/31/2016 07:53
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Sounds like I need to check out 13. It made the top 100 of the 90s... so looks like I will when I get to the 90s Smile.

It's a must Smile

On 13 Blur continued the musical wanderings that started with S/T and cut them off from the times of Britpop trilogy (drift away from Kinks/Beatles/Madness/vaudeville melodies, more-American-than-British focus, hypnotic rhythms, indie electronic inspirations, looped guitar parts, weird vocalises, lots of background echoes & noises), only this one seems a lot more sincere, personal and emotionally deeper.
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2016 02:54
  • Post subject:
Grzywa wrote:
So back to square one: in my opinion 13 a great "concept" album, combining a variety of influences (rock, indie, electronic, progressive) into a turn of the centuries break-up tale.

I'l respect that. I looked at your chart and 13 obviously means a lot to you, so I won't try and tell you you're wrong. I like the album, just not enough to say it's one of my favorites. I'm glad we can both agree that Blur are awesome, though.
Grzywa

Poland

• Posted: 04/01/2016 07:34
  • Post subject:
Space-Dementia wrote:
I'm glad we can both agree that Blur are awesome, though.

Ten thousand times agreed Wink