Is it cheating to put Best-of's in your Top 100???

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Lastings

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2018 19:32
  • Post subject:
All that said, as well... If you need to have a greatest hits of someone, it probably means you just haven't listened to enough of their individual albums or listed enough times.

Thats happened to me on many occasions. I've wanted to have a greatest hits in there, and challenged myself to find something in the artists catalogue that I liked just as much. That method has actually turned me on to alot of music I may never have gotten around to.

so, in short, if you like an artists greatest hits that much, odds are you like their regular albums just as much, you just don't know it yet.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2018 20:34
  • Post subject:
I really think it's an elitist thing to say no comps. There are too many variables on artists ability to create a great "studio album", whether that be because the album era dawned after their prime, or their genre/musical style does not fit well with the album format... or the artist might be amazing, but made mediocre studio albums. There are also differing levels of music experience, and so by looking down on someone who has a comp in their list really speaks more about you being an ass about their musical experiences than anything else.

To help elitist assholes see past their Scheuklappen, I've explained when I put a comp in my chart that no studio album is better than their comp/the artist is not a great album writer, etc... whatever the variable may be. In my opinion of course... or the simple variable on how my chart is made - average of songs and how much I liked each individual song. A comp clearly has a higher chance of winning out if the studio albums have a few shit tracks on them, even if they are considered classics.

The flip side of this of course is what others have said already - which speaks to simply not having a lot of experience with an artist to like them past their best of. And sometimes it doesn't mean that... sometimes that means the person chose the comp over any studio album because the artist themselves didn't make great studio albums, but fantastic jams.

Being a studio album format elitist is boring.

What's funny is classical music is almost always a comp. It is less common to find a classical album that has only one symphony on it. Elitist assholes.

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 07/23/2018 20:38; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2018 20:37
  • Post subject:
my opinion: yes. but dowhatchalike!
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2018 21:02
  • Post subject:
Lastings wrote:
All that said, as well... If you need to have a greatest hits of someone, it probably means you just haven't listened to enough of their individual albums or listed enough times.

Or as I've noticed on others' charts, you just don't like the artist enough.

Quote:
I've wanted to have a greatest hits in there, and challenged myself to find something in the artists catalogue that I liked just as much. That method has actually turned me on to alot of music I may never have gotten around to.

That's really cool.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2018 21:04
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:

I do however feel that anyone who has Legend in their overall chart needs a quarter pound ishen stuffed right up their fudge tunnel.

That'd be me.

While these are solid B+ albums, Legend gets an A and that puts it in my overall chart.
Exodus
Uprising
Natty Dread
Catch A Fire

If my chart deals with average track scores, I think I'd rather have Bob, being the great songwriter he was, higher on my chart than possibly not making my chart because my favorite studio album of his doesn't have a high enough score (85)... not making my top 100 albums, but Legend does at 97.8.

Why would I not do that? What makes the studio album format truly better with these songs? Now I think I'd make an argument against Beatles Blue album comp replacing Abbey Road on my list, so I get the logic. I suppose I'm just not seeing it from that perspective. And I think that's ok.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/23/2018 21:14
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:

I do however feel that anyone who has Legend in their overall chart needs a quarter pound ishen stuffed right up their fudge tunnel.

It's always baffled me as to why this is such a popular greatest hits release... like... what makes it so different??? Why is it in our top 250????

It's filled with good stuff, sure, but Marley's albums make a lot more sense than a comp, especially when compared to artists like Hank Williams, James Brown, Django or Elvis... Ah well.

And I think compilations on an overall chart are fantastic, especially if the material on it was never previous on full-length albums, or perhaps at all. If there's a comp comprised solely of material previous on 7" or 12" singles, then by all means, chart away. Various artists comps are cool too, for the most part.

But if it's a greatest hits compiled to get an extra buck by some industry schmo.... well....

Or box sets... like Fruit Tree or something... like, that's where'd I'd say you're cheating.
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2018 21:36
  • Post subject:
Can't speak for other users, but for me...

Elvis' self titled album is the only studio album I find to be "worthy". The rest of the artists you mentioned, while indeed fantastic, aren't Elvis or Bob level (minus Django... I just haven't spent that much time with his music, but do know he's an amazing jazz guitarist).

To this discussion, I'd have to say that some artists really deserve the recognition like you mention, but really aren't on the same level as Bob Marley or Elvis (who doesn't even make the top 250, but his self titled album is his highest rank). Long story, the artists you mentioned are great, but somehow understand how they aren't considered great on this site. Why would only be conjecture.

Another obvious thing is why I think people hate Legend - it's the dude bro album everyone got wasted to in college (I went to BYU, so not the case for me, just conjecture based on other conversations about it).

And yes the cash grab argument. I can agree with that. It does feel cheap for those artists who spent a lot of time building an artwork specifically designed for the album format.

But I'd have a hard time believing Bob Marley was a studio album artist to begin with... quibbling over formats probably was the last thing he was caught up with. I'm sure his record label was way more involved with the track picks and order. If someone can quote Bob Marley talking about albums, that'd be cool to learn more about his process.

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 07/23/2018 22:55; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2018 21:44
  • Post subject:
This the Marley compilation that I'd listen to, and I wouldn't be mad if more people decided to listen to it.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/trenchto...0000658221
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/23/2018 21:51
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
This the Marley compilation that I'd listen to, and I wouldn't be mad if more people decided to listen to it.

I’d take the more concise African Herbsman over that, or one of the Wailers Studio One compilations personally.

It’s not even as if the tracks on Legend are bad - far from it. But as this rather long diatribe argues (see 4th post - I really should reboot this thread) the whole concept of Legend is one that irritates the hell outta me...
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 07/23/2018 22:10
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

I’d take the more concise African Herbsman over that, or one of the Wailers Studio One compilations personally.

It’s not even as if the tracks on Legend are bad - far from it. But as this rather long diatribe argues (see 4th post - I really should reboot this thread) the whole concept of Legend is one that irritates the hell outta me...

Yeah, there is some less than stellar tracks on there, but it's got some of my favorites on it.

And I couldn't agree more with your diatribe. It's quite the bastardization really.
  • Visit poster's website