Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 05/12/2014 20:56
  • Post subject: Sign up to contribute to the history of music review
As most of you know, I've been doing a survey of the history of music, reviewing various albums/genres along the way. While I have already invited people to add their own comments/summaries in BEA Reviews the History of Music, I think it would be even better if people actually signed up to write about specific sections ahead of time.

There are two ways you can approach this:

1) If you already know a lot about music from a particular time period, you can take this chance to show off your knowledge and promote some of your favorite albums.
2) Alternatively, you can use this as a chance to explore. You'll have plenty of time to prepare your write-up, so just pick a genre and year, listen to the relevant albums, and write about your favorites. There are no strict rules about content, but as a guideline, you should write a paragraph (or more) of text on at least three albums (see my summaries in the linked thread for examples).

For now, people can sign up to write about any year from 1974 - 1979. There are no preset genres that you have to pick from, but try to pick something that was particularly active in the time period in question. It's okay if there's overlap between the summaries of different contributors. For example, we could have

User A: protopunk in 1974
User B: glam rock in 1974

Both of those groupings might include Too Much Too Soon, the second album from the New York Dolls, and that's fine. Try your best to link the albums in your group together, using historical context, stylistic similarities, real-world interactions, etc. Your summaries don't have to be objective, but it is good to include some basic historical info to give the reader context.

Write-ups should be submitted to me by PM. There won't be a strict deadline, but I will start bugging you as soon as we reach the year you signed up for. Sign up for as many genre/year combos as you like, but if two users want to write about the same thing, preference will go to the user with the least on their plate already. And, of course, you can respond to the summaries in the history thread whenever you want, so even if it's not part of a "formal" summary, you can add your thoughts to the thread at the appropriate time.

When we've finished writing about a particular year, your contribution will be saved not only on the forum, but also in the notes of my chart for that year (with you credited, of course). So come on BEA, drop some knowledge on us!

Sign-up List

1974:
Mies: prog

1975:

1976:
meccalecca: Punk
noWaxJim: Jamaican music

1977:
meccalecca: Punk

1978:
noWaxJim: Post-punk
creator: art punk

1979:
benpaco: New wave
benpaco: Post-punk

Last edited by sp4cetiger on 05/13/2014 16:56; edited 6 times in total
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/12/2014 21:01
  • Post subject:
Here goes...

Reggae/dub/roots/Jamaican music in general - '76-'82
Punk - '76-'77
Post-punk - '77-'82
Indie-pop - '86-present
Shoegaze - '88-'92
Folk (shame I missed the '60s) - 2004-present

That enough for you... (!)
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 05/12/2014 21:12
  • Post subject:
noWaxJim wrote:
Here goes...

Reggae/dub/roots/Jamaican music in general - '76-'82
Punk - '76-'77
Post-punk - '77-'82
Indie-pop - '86-present
Shoegaze - '88-'92
Folk (shame I missed the '60s) - 2004-present

Ok, I'm not taking sign-ups for the '80s yet since I want to make sure we actually get there before I start asking for write-ups. As for the rest, I'll tentatively sign you up for:

Jamaican music in 1976
Jamaican music in 1977
Post-punk in 1978
Jamaican music in 1979

I'll keep it to one per year for now, but even if you're not signed up for something, you can add text to the thread at the appropriate time anyway. If you want me to rearrange the above, let me know.

I expect punk and post-punk, in particular, might be in high demand, so if other users want to write about that as well, don't hesitate to speak up. I'm sure we can work something out.

Last edited by sp4cetiger on 05/12/2014 21:16; edited 2 times in total
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/12/2014 21:15
  • Post subject:
You got it... in fact I'll take reggae et al '76, '77 and '79, and post-punk '78 ta. Leave punk '76 to someone else, if not I'll grab it...
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 05/12/2014 21:19
  • Post subject:
noWaxJim wrote:
You got it... in fact I'll take reggae et al '76, '77 and '79, and post-punk '78 ta. Leave punk '76 to someone else, if not I'll grab it...

Awesome, thanks. I'll keep the lead post updated when people sign up.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/12/2014 21:48
  • Post subject:
I should be able to take Punk 76-77, focusing primarily on the CBGB scene but also elsewhere
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 05/12/2014 22:56
  • Post subject:
I'd be happy to take Post Punk 1979, promise I know more than Unknown Pleasures. THAT SAID I'd happily turn this over to CellarDoor if he has any interest.

EDIT: I could take new wave 1979 too, actually.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 05/12/2014 23:05
  • Post subject:
Thanks benpaco and mecca!

Note that a year's punk write-up could be split into two or more if others are interested in writing about it (e.g., British and American side). It's a big topic.

benpaco wrote:
I'd be happy to take Post Punk 1979, promise I know more than Unknown Pleasures. THAT SAID I'd happily turn this over to CellarDoor if he has any interest.

EDIT: I could take new wave 1979 too, actually.

I put you down for both for now. This is all negotiable, so others with interest in these topics can feel free to speak up as well and we'll try to work something out that isn't too redundant.
RepoMan

• Posted: 05/13/2014 00:13
  • Post subject:
noWaxJim wrote:

Folk (shame I missed the '60s)

Go on!!! Flashbacks r awesome!

Seriously, I've been on a major Bert Jansch s/t & John Fahey Transfiguration bender. I basically just stumbled onto those two albums though & would love to get your spin on 60s folk. I'm sure I'm not alone. What do u think Sp4cetiger?
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 05/13/2014 00:28
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
Go on!!! Flashbacks r awesome!

Seriously, I've been on a major Bert Jansch s/t & John Fahey Transfiguration bender. I basically just stumbled onto those two albums though & would love to get your spin on 60s folk. I'm sure I'm not alone. What do u think Sp4cetiger?

Well, I don't want to mix it in to the current thread because I want the conversation to move chronologically with the music. When I started the new history thread, I debated going all the way back to the beginning of the project and writing summaries from there. The reason I ultimately decided against it is that I feared there would be too little interest in the earliest music that I listened to, which went back as far as the '20s.

If there is enough interest in the earlier music, though, I could start a separate thread to run in parallel to this one. It would probably require a lot of writing support, since it's hard enough for me to keep a decent pace on the one thread. Also, I would work with larger time increments for the earliest music (e.g., 3-year intervals, maybe even full decades for the '20s and '30s).

What do others think?