The Gender Identity and Transgender Thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 06/04/2015 18:08
  • Post subject: The Gender Identity and Transgender Thread
Hi everybody, hope you are keeping well. Smile

This is just a little thread I'm starting so we have a place to discuss gender identity, "transgender issues" (which I feel is a clunky term, in the same vein as "gay rights" but I can think of no better way to phrase it so gabh mo leithscéal) and any problems, advice, life-lessons and societal issues surrounding these topics.

Always a fascinating subject, I'm particularly interested in getting a discussion going in light of Caitlyn Jenner's recent transition and the resultant spotlight being shone these issues.

SO this is where we can talk about the Jenner stroy in particular, personal experiences, the transgender community as a whole, the obstacles faced by peoples in this community and any other relevant points that you can weave into the thread. so fucking punny

Just a little note to say that this is a sensitive topic so I apologize in advance if I say the wrong thing, I mean no offense and only want to learn more about this stuff. I'd also ask that users be a sensitive and understanding about this topic as possible.

Go! Very Happy

Top 100 Music Albums of the 2010s
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/04/2015 18:13
  • Post subject:
Perhaps we should relocate it to the politics & religion subforum just in case? I do have some thoughts of course, yeah.
  • Visit poster's website
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 06/04/2015 19:47
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Perhaps we should relocate it to the politics & religion subforum just in case? I do have some thoughts of course, yeah.

I didn't/don't think that gender identity is a political or religious topic. Smile

I would be delighted to here hear some of your thoughts though.

Last edited by Revolution909 on 06/04/2015 20:17; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 06/04/2015 20:13
  • Post subject:
I think that the Caitlyn Jenner situation is for the most part a very positive occurrence, however I would have some minor concerns.

From a human perspective, it's obviously fantastic that Caitlyn has found the courage to live the life she feels she was born to live. Truly excellent, both for herself but also for her family in the long-run. Though I can only imagine the initial confusion and difficulty they are facing initially, I think they will gain a better, more open parent in the long-run.

From a greater societal perspective, this has increased the awareness among the general public of some of the issues surrounding being an openly trans individual. I'm sure a lot of people, especially those who are middle-aged and beyond, will see somebody like them, somebody who they quite possibly have huge admiration for, go through this process. By doing so, it makes them confront the issue and perhaps not disregard it as some generational fad or whatever.

It normalizes the idea of being non-cis-gendered and gives people a reference point and a poster-girl.

Over the course of the last few days, I have read about the economic struggles that transgendered people encounter. This is where I feel the Caitlyn Jenner story falls down. Financial means hasn't really come up regarding Caitlyn's (not doubt quite costly) transition. I hope that as society as a whole moves to come to terms with trans issues, some consideration is given to how transgendered people are often extremely economically disadvantaged (costly surgeries, familial abandonment, employment discrimination etc.)

I would hate for people to think"well Caitlyn and the reaction of people show that society has come to terms with trans issues". Eh no, we're a long way off there love. This is merely a step in the right direction.

Sadly, Caitlyn's story has brought to the surface many of the prejudices held by society regarding trans people. See Drake Bell and Wendy Williams (the latter being a person who I generally have a soft-spot for BUT in this case I dislike her singling out of Caitlyn's hands, the poor lighting and Caitlyn's supposed need to "earn her right to be called a woman by looking fabulous all the time" shite). The sooner people are called-out for this behaviour, the better for everyone.

Another aspect to this story is whether the whole thing will be derailed into farce by Kardashian mania. So far, the Diane Sawyer interview and the two night KUWTK special have been very tasteful and considered, in my opinion. I hope that this is maintained into the future with Caitlyn's upcoming E! reality series.

• Visit poster's website
bongritsu
电子人 ( cyborg)

Canada

• Posted: 06/05/2015 01:20
  • Post subject:

Link

Link

Link

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AS A PERSON OF JUDGEMENT.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/05/2015 01:37
  • Post subject:
bongritsu wrote:

Link

Link

Link

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 06/05/2015 06:09
  • Post subject:
My facebook wrote:
Alright, got a facebook post about "Bruce Jenner" not being a hero because God gave "him" a soul, and another about why "Bruce Jenner" doesn't work with feminism because "he" isn't a real woman.
1 *Her*, her, her, name is Caitlyn.
2 Why do you care? She's one celebrity. If you're seriously bothered, do what I've done with Mel Gibson and just ignore them. She has literally 0 impact on you.
3 "If I decided to be called Keith everyone would be OK with it. Why don't you respect people enough to call them "she" if they want to?" - Daniel Hardcastle
4 The idea that, and I quote, "Transgenderism Kills Feminism" is absurd. Feminism is the fight for equal rights for everyone, regardless of gender, cuz that's what feminism is, it's the hope for totally equal rights. Transgender people are, in fact, people, and therefore, feminists should be all over making sure they're equal too (and trust me when I say it - the vast majority of them are!)
5 Dear blogger and fear-mongerer Matt Walsh - if a woman is a woman, and I find her attractive and interesting, I don't care what she was in a past life. Yeah, I'd date her, why not?
6 Last one - JUST LOVE EACH OTHER. Accept each other. Accept yourselves. All of you are beautiful, beautiful people and NO ONE deserves to be treated like they don't matter. Whether or not you focus on Caitlyn, do what you want, but don't waste your time and energy getting frustrated about a person being who they are. And no matter who you are, don't be afraid to be yourself. It's the most beautiful thing you can be.

Also, just going to say this - my ex came out to me as genderqueer or genderfluid recently (as in last night and they're still not sure which is really right for them - they were raised VERY Christian and are just now figuring out what they haven't is normal and OK I think) and it hasn't changed a thing. We frankly talk more now that that's on the table and we're more comfortable. They're still just as wonderful a person. Gender is just a label and a kind of weird one at that.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 06/05/2015 08:27
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
My facebook wrote:
Alright, got a facebook post about "Bruce Jenner" not being a hero because God gave "him" a soul, and another about why "Bruce Jenner" doesn't work with feminism because "he" isn't a real woman.
1 *Her*, her, her, name is Caitlyn.
2 Why do you care? She's one celebrity. If you're seriously bothered, do what I've done with Mel Gibson and just ignore them. She has literally 0 impact on you.
3 "If I decided to be called Keith everyone would be OK with it. Why don't you respect people enough to call them "she" if they want to?" - Daniel Hardcastle
4 The idea that, and I quote, "Transgenderism Kills Feminism" is absurd. Feminism is the fight for equal rights for everyone, regardless of gender, cuz that's what feminism is, it's the hope for totally equal rights. Transgender people are, in fact, people, and therefore, feminists should be all over making sure they're equal too (and trust me when I say it - the vast majority of them are!)
5 Dear blogger and fear-mongerer Matt Walsh - if a woman is a woman, and I find her attractive and interesting, I don't care what she was in a past life. Yeah, I'd date her, why not?
6 Last one - JUST LOVE EACH OTHER. Accept each other. Accept yourselves. All of you are beautiful, beautiful people and NO ONE deserves to be treated like they don't matter. Whether or not you focus on Caitlyn, do what you want, but don't waste your time and energy getting frustrated about a person being who they are. And no matter who you are, don't be afraid to be yourself. It's the most beautiful thing you can be.

Also, just going to say this - my ex came out to me as genderqueer or genderfluid recently (as in last night and they're still not sure which is really right for them - they were raised VERY Christian and are just now figuring out what they haven't is normal and OK I think) and it hasn't changed a thing. We frankly talk more now that that's on the table and we're more comfortable. They're still just as wonderful a person. Gender is just a label and a kind of weird one at that.

That's really cool how you're ex is able to be open, especially with her strongly Christian upbringing.

Personally, I dislike being labelled as a male or a boy or a man. It grates with me slightly and I never refer to myself using such terms. I always say person. And when people say things that may insinuate that I have feminine traits, things that I know would annoy guys that I know, I couldn't care less.
I have no big yearning to physically present myself as "more female" or even "less male", so I don't know if that makes me genderqueer or non-gendered (which is how I would describe my feelings) or something. It probably means I dislike being labelled, and the inevitable presumptions that come with them.

• Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/05/2015 13:56
  • Post subject:
Revolution909 wrote:
I don't know if that makes me genderqueer or non-gendered (which is how I would describe my feelings) or something. It probably means I dislike being labelled, and the inevitable presumptions that come with them.

Non-gendered = agender, which is a kind of genderqueer. Guess this would be a good time to say I'm also agender, for the same reasons really.
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 06/05/2015 14:45
  • Post subject:
I've pondered this particular topic for a while now and been wondering if I really identify myself as transgender or not. I say that I'm leaning more towards being genderqueer or agender. I don't really act much like a male, yet I can't really say that I act entirely feminine either, although I think my feminine traits slightly outweigh the male traits. Although it may just be me wanting to appear different and never taking into account what others may be going through but at the same time I'm thinking about other examples I've researched and what their thought process was.

It's hard to formulate my feelings on this topic properly. It's a complicated process for anybody to go through and the idea of it can be really scary if you're going into it unsure. It's something that can really change somebody's life and there's that no going back if you decide it's not what you wanted after all. And that's why I greatly admire and respect those brave people who go out of their way to get what they want if that's what they feel that will make them happy. If I ever come across one of my friends coming out as transgender, as someone who is part of the LGBT community I'll always support them. It's always great for people to be so open like this, it's very nice.

Also, regarding the Caitlyn Jenner story, I'm pretty sure you've all seen this, but it does a brilliant job in portraying every side of the media when a story like this comes out:

Link