Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/30/2015 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#1674): Ramones by Ramones
Today's album of the day

Ramones by Ramones (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1976.
Overall rank: 138
Average rating: 80/100 (from 646 votes).

Tracks:
1. Blitzkrieg Bop
2. Beat On The Brat
3. Judy Is A Punk
4. I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend
5. Chain Saw
6. Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue
7. I Don't Wanna Go Down To The Basement
8. Loudmouth
9. Havana Affair
10. Listen To My Heart
11. 53rd & 3rd
12. Let's Dance
13. I Don't Wanna Walk Around With You
14. Today Your Love, Tomorrow The World

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2015 20:03
  • Post subject:
these guys look like losers

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 06/30/2015 20:55
  • Post subject:
Might have been 'cool' back in the day, but I find it too cringey for today's standards. I don't know who 'Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue' is meant to shock, but it certainly isn't me.
Kiki

• Posted: 06/30/2015 21:01
  • Post subject:
The band everyone here liked as a teenager Smile Some of you are still teenagers too
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 06/30/2015 21:06
  • Post subject:
It feels so tame in comparison to the other punk albums I've heard. Just goes to show how far punk has come from being abridged counter-cultured 3 or 4 chords slacker songs to having a substantial cultural influence. The songs are fun, but they tend to blend into each other that it's different to distinguish individual songs.
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/30/2015 22:03
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Might have been 'cool' back in the day, but I find it too cringey for today's standards

HazeyTwilight wrote:
It feels so tame in comparison to the other punk albums (...) Just goes to show how far punk has come from being abridged counter-cultured 3 or 4 chords slacker songs to having a substantial cultural influence.

That's two less Xmas cards to write then.

Sorry Hazey, but your comment is totally missing the point. The Ramones weren't punk per se, but rather the harbingers of a movement started when McLaren nicked the look and the 3-chord assault from New York and gave it to the Pistols. There's just as much Shangri-Las as Rock 'n' Roll in this record - don't be fooled by the ripped jeans and songs about sniffing glue, these are Great American Pop Songs and in my mind one of the most exciting, euphoric and 'up' albums I've ever heard.

Each to their own of course, and I'm going to defend this LP to the hilt, but if you'd rather be listening to all things the Ramones stood against (such as ELP and 20-minute prog epics) be my guest. Because without the Ramones I'd wager a fair amount of the bands you adore more than likely would have never existed.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2015 22:09
  • Post subject:
noWaxJim wrote:
That's two less Xmas cards to write then.

Sorry Hazey, but your comment is totally missing the point. The Ramones weren't punk per se, but rather the harbingers of a movement started when McLaren nicked the look and the 3-chord assault from New York and gave it to the Pistols. There's just as much Shangri-Las as Rock 'n' Roll in this record - don't be fooled by the ripped jeans and songs about sniffing glue, these are Great American Pop Songs and in my mind one of the most exciting, euphoric and 'up' albums I've ever heard.

Each to their own of course, and I'm going to defend this LP to the hilt, but if you'd rather be listening to all things the Ramones stood against (such as ELP and 20-minute prog epics) be my guest. Because without the Ramones I'd wager a fair amount of the bands you adore more than likely would have never existed.

Thank you Jim for saying what needed to be said. The Ramones are a rare band for which there is no excuse for anyone not to love. They're cool without being pretentious, funny without being a joke, original while remaining approachable.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2015 22:20
  • Post subject:
A fun band and a fun album, no doubt.
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 06/30/2015 22:32
  • Post subject:
Man, How I wish I hadn't met this place when I listen to this album, In like 2 years-light behind this used to be one of my favorite albums of all time, and I used to play this every weekend, If we fast travel to today we see a boy who has evolved his taste and blindly forgets this album, I just can't see the shine on it anymore, of course I still love some songs, but If we are talking about New York and 70s I prefer to hang out with my television or Patti friends. Fun fact I just danced to this album while cleaning a mountain of dishes in a long night a few days Ago, It kinda lost it shine, but there is a little cup of magic still in there.
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 06/30/2015 22:37
  • Post subject:
I really admire you for countering my admittedly harsh statement regarding Ramones' music, but what you continued with irritated me.

noWaxJim wrote:
but if you'd rather be listening to all things the Ramones stood against (such as ELP and 20-minute prog epics) be my guest.

When did I ever say that I was encouraging users to listen to more overexposed and bloated prog-rock rather than Ramones? It comes across as a bit of a generalisation and sort of ignoring what I said after what I wrongfully generalised them to be. They had a substantial influence, meaning it meant something to others. The kind of prog-rock your referring to only benefits only the artists' creative integrity and nobody else.

noWaxJim wrote:
Because without the Ramones I'd wager a fair amount of the bands you adore more than likely would have never existed.

Just as I was saying, their influence is there. It's not like I actively try to ignore the influence of Ramones. Of course I would know some of my favourite bands cited them as an influence. I may have said that their songs blended together, but I would never denounce their influence. And besides, I never said I hated or even disliked the album.