Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/18/2015 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#1845): Trans-Europe Express by Kraftwerk
Today's album of the day

Trans-Europe Express by Kraftwerk (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1977.
Overall rank: 274
Average rating: 82/100 (from 417 votes).

Tracks:
1. Europe Endless
2. The Hall Of Mirrors
3. Showroom Dummies
4. Trans-Europe Express
5. Metal On Metal
6. Franz Schubert
7. Endless Endless

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 12/18/2015 22:31
  • Post subject:
I appreciate how this group are pioneers in Electronic music. But after growing up with albums with more modern production, I can't find too much enjoyment in this...
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 12/18/2015 22:49
  • Post subject:
I think even the pioneer status is overstated, like Kid Baltan (Dick Raaijmakers) had stuff getting released in 1957.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 12/18/2015 22:54
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
I think even the pioneer status is overstated, like Kid Baltan (Dick Raaijmakers) had stuff getting released in 1957.
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/18/2015 22:55
  • Post subject:
Yep. So fuck. It's just fucking mint.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/18/2015 23:03
  • Post subject:
Graeme2 wrote:
Yep. So fuck. It's just fucking mint.

Too right. And much better listened to in German. Especially Schaufensterpuppen.

That and Europa Endlos genuinely makes the little hairs on my neck stand on end, as well as giving me a sudden urge to go inter-railing. The EU should have made it their de facto anthem.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/19/2015 00:58
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:

Did any other pioneer invent what they pushed forward (and were far more influential than the likes to Raaijimakers in the long run) or something? Did the Beatles invent Rock music or Pop music? No, they didn't. Kraftwerk's importance is definitely not overstated and stating otherwise is revisionist nonsense.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 12/19/2015 01:09
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Did any other pioneer invent what they pushed forward or something?

the definition is to be the first, not the most popular

Google Definition Thing wrote:
(v.) develop or be the first to use or apply (a new method, area of knowledge, or activity)

so yes every single pioneer by definition has invented what they pushed forward, in the sense you're referring to (i.e. no one here is making a claim that Kraftwerk or Raaijmakers or anyone else could truly "invent," from scratch, a genre of music)

I think that the influence of Kraftwerk is also slightly overstated. Despite them being hugely important for pushing the pop side of electronic music and their continued reference back by virtually any dance music artist today, their stature frequently allows for whitewashed narratives of electronic music history that skip and jump over the (larger) sonic innovations of the disco era. It's the same problem as the Elvis-James Brown question - Elvis is overstated not by virtue of not being important but by virtue of being a vehicle to erase or minimize the importance of a contemporary.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/19/2015 01:16
  • Post subject:
Quote:
I think that the influence of Kraftwerk is also slightly overstated.

Just like the impact of Elvis Presley or The Beatles, of course the influence of Kraftwerk is going to be a bit of an overextension of what they did in reality. Nobody is (or should, in my opinion) try to erase the importance of any of the artist’s mentioned even if they did more for popularization/contemporization than innovation; though I would say they did their own share of innovation alongside their impact.

Quote:
their stature frequently allows for whitewashed narratives of electronic music history that skip and jump over the (larger) sonic innovations of the disco era.

Every dialogue (documentaries included) I come across about Electronic music doesn’t ignore the electronic music scenes out of Chicago or Detroit, though? Unless you mean other creative expressions?
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 12/19/2015 01:22
  • Post subject:
i'm specifically referring to the tendency of particularly rock-oriented music writers to hop skip and jump over disco and to take house and techno music out of their social context as incredibly gay, black genres to make them into exclusively cerebral music or the tendency to lift up Kraftwerk, Aphex Twin, Daft Punk, etc. as "smarter" electronic or to give more coverage to them. i agree that people who take the time to write about electronic music, regardless of their background, tend to be better at identifying these lapses than rock writers are, with the latter camp having far too many people who are completely illiterate in funk, soul, and R&B because of the way that rock separates those strains out once Elvis and the Beatles come along.

i'm also not the person who brought this up, so i'm interested in waiting for Tap's reason for being hesitant about their influence before we go down a rabbit hole i've brought up on here many times.