Album of the day (#2196): The Velvet Underground And Nico

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/03/2016 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#2196): The Velvet Underground And Nico
Today's album of the day

The Velvet Underground And Nico by The Velvet Underground And Nico (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1967.
Overall rank: 9
Average rating: 89/100 (from 2143 votes).

Tracks:
1. Sunday Morning
2. I'm Waiting For The Man
3. Femme Fatale
4. Venus In Furs
5. Run Run Run
6. All Tomorrow's Parties
7. Heroin
8. There She Goes Again
9. I'll Be Your Mirror
10. The Black Angel's Death Song
11. European Son

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 12/03/2016 21:38
  • Post subject:
If I had to choose an album that I thought was, objectively, the greatest album ever; this would probably be my pick.
AfterHours

• Posted: 12/03/2016 22:32
  • Post subject:
HazeyTwilight wrote:
If I had to choose an album that I thought was, objectively, the greatest album ever; this would probably be my pick.

No argument there. A flat-out masterpiece.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/04/2016 05:10
  • Post subject:
Bonus points for identifying this movie:

While I agree this album is fantastic, the last two songs and overall mix (the high frequencies are painful at times) make me like the following album quite a bit more as it fits my aesthetics a bit more:

The Velvet Underground by The Velvet Underground
  • Visit poster's website
murmur

• Posted: 12/04/2016 06:45
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
the last two songs

what? "The Black Angel's Death Song" is one of the top like 20 rock songs ever written. and the mixing is delectable. so claustrophobic when it needs to be. those screeches really drive it home, and they aren't such a crutch as they are on WLWH. absolute masterpiece of moderation and excess all where it counts, the meaning of a masterpiece and the greatest rock album ever recorded (today - wait for TMR or Twin Infinitives to be AOTD and this superlative go to them, too)
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/05/2016 01:40
  • Post subject:
murmur wrote:
what? "The Black Angel's Death Song" is one of the top like 20 rock songs ever written. and the mixing is delectable. so claustrophobic when it needs to be. those screeches really drive it home, and they aren't such a crutch as they are on WLWH. absolute masterpiece of moderation and excess all where it counts, the meaning of a masterpiece and the greatest rock album ever recorded (today - wait for TMR or Twin Infinitives to be AOTD and this superlative go to them, too)

I've listened to them in full many times, but lately... I just skip them and the album is much better without them.

Somehow I agree with the screeches in Heroin... it means more to me somehow.

If I listen to the last songs really quietly, then they still work... but I usually like my music loud and it's just super painful.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 12/05/2016 08:11
  • Post subject:
Sunday Morning - 9/10

I love this opener. It isn't the greatest, nor the catchiest. But the subtlety of the percussion instruments, and thoughtful lyrics have a very nice touch.

I'm Waiting for the Man - 8/10

A faster, more traditional rock song than the Sunday Morning. I like it a lot, though it runs a little long for my taste. Supposedly the song is about waiting for the drug dealer to sell smack. I can buy that. Lou Reed, you edgy devil.

Femme Fatale - 10/10

Finally we get to hear Nico. Her wonderful voice was worth the wait. The first two songs are great, but this one tops them both. So catchy, and I love the minimalist instruments. It makes Nico's vocals carry the song better. The first verse makes the song seem about a woman out of the subject's league. But then comes the second verse and we learn the song is about a prostitute. Again, very edgy Mr. Reed.

Venus in Furs - 8/10

Just like the classic piece of literature, the lyrics of Venus in Furs explore themes of sexual dominance. More recently there was a Roman Polanski film of the same name. Decent movie if anyone's interested. Not my favorite song, but I can understand why some listeners consider it one of the best on the album. It is very good.

Run, Run, Run - 6/10

The album returns to a fast-tempo traditional sounding song. But unlike track #2, this one isn't striking in any way. The beat, the lyrics, the melody...just aren't up to the standard we've heard so far. It isn't a bad song, but it's the weakest song so far. But we do get our first taste of the guitar screech, a sound they will reuse on later tracks.

All Tomorrow's Parties - 10/10

This is my favorite song on the album. The atmosphere of the piano, the simple drum beat, and Nico's voice work wonderfully.

Heroin - 10/10

A haunting song of addiction and depression. The guitar screeches in the second half of the song feel like a metaphor for the raw unpredictable nature of tripping balls. What a song.

There She Goes Again - 9/10

Another fun, catchy song about prostitution. This is probably the most mainstream-friendly song on the whole album. A nice change of pace after the heaviness of the last track.

I'll Be Your Mirror - 7/10

A nice simple Side B track. It's good but nothing special.

Black Angel's Death Song - 5/10

I agree with seth. This album's final two tracks are weak. Minimal instruments was common on other tracks and worked great, but here we have a lead electric viola that is kind of annoying and all over the place. Meanwhile the lyrics have deep meaning to them but they're written in such a non-poetic manner, that Reed doesn't even sing them. He just speed talks. If you like it, I won't argue. But I personally don't dig this song.

European Son - 3/10

Weak closing track. Pointless rambling, jamming, and dissonant guitar screeching for several minutes. I've tried many times and failed to get into this song.

Overall - 9/10

I love Velvet Underground and Nico but I can't give it a perfect 10 because of how it ends. But there is no argument from me that it is one of the best and most important albums of all time.
  • Visit poster's website