Remasters - Which Ones are Essential?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Captain_Dude

United States

• Posted: 09/17/2017 02:50
  • Post subject: Remasters - Which Ones are Essential?
Audiophiles, this one is for you.

There have certainly been a lot of albums that have been "remastered."

Sometimes, it seems to make a big difference (for the better...sometimes for the worse) and other times I can barely tell.

I'm asking this because I just picked up a copy of the 2012 remaster version of David Bowie's The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars on CD. I have re-bought this album several times now. This particular version seems much more crisp and dynamic and I do believe that it was well worth it to "upgrade" my CD version.

2002's remastered version of Ozzy Osbourne's first two albums were horrific (the bass and drums were re-recorded by his new drummer and bass player at that time). Avoid those 2002 remastered albums!!!!

Can you all chime in on what some of the more "essential" remastered albums are? Also, it'd be nice to know which remasters to completely avoid because they've messed it all up.

Format is a big issue here, too. If we could, can we just stick to the CD remasters for now? (We can visit the other formats later, okay?) Very Happy
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/17/2017 04:03
  • Post subject:
I'm not one for comparing remasters/originals (I usually veer for the original), but I have to admit the recent Purple Rain reissue sounds incredible. Far prefer this mix. Lot more punch.
stangetzaway

Australia

• Posted: 09/17/2017 06:24
  • Post subject:
The recent Led Zeppelin remasters were of a pretty high standard. Probably my favourites though they are fairly pricey now I'd imagine are the SACD surround sound versions of some of Dylan's releases. Especially Blonde on Blonde which comes in a double cd whilst the original press is a single cd. No less than 2 of the single versions have blown up on me and the sound on the SACD is much better to boot.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/17/2017 06:34
  • Post subject:
I think a few on this site have mentioned the remastered Sgt pepper was worth it.

I seem to remember being impressed with pretty hate machin remastered.

Siamese dream on vinyl mix (liner notes claims it used a different mix) sounded better to me.

The nevermind remaster was terrible. Drums and bass sound like shit.
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/17/2017 07:07
  • Post subject:
This is a good topic. I really must listen to that sgt pepper one, everyone who talks about it is very impressed. My pal who is a massive Beatles fan said it's even made him rate the record higher.
Be good to see some suggestions here as I don't normally sit down and compare releases. Think I have that spiders from mars remaster on cd and the original on vinyl and though the cd is great, the vinyl is fine. Sometimes on albums I love I am happy with even what would be considered dodgy mixes as that is part of the thing I love, warts and all. The debut stone roses original version would never be considered a good master by today's standards but that is what I fell in love with. It has a horrible thin sound with the bass being far too low. But hey that's the 80s and I've heard the remaster which is fine but I'll live with the original. The smiths had a similar problem and their remasters sound great on the ones I've heard, much fuller bottom end. In fact when I listened to them before I always felt that a new master would improve my enjoyment.
The new ok computer is nice on the vinyl with a couple of tracks really standing out.
Couple of other very good ones I've picked up on vinyl are sleeps holy mountain and songs ohia steel magnolia electric company.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 09/17/2017 07:47
  • Post subject:
the remaster quality on "The Billie Holiday Collection" series is some kind of fucking miracle. Volume 2 in particular sounds like the songs could've been recorded 30 years later than they actually were
kickerofelves

Ireland

• Posted: 09/17/2017 11:54
  • Post subject:
Are we talking just remasters here or remixes as well?

Remixes are much more likely to be of dubious quality than remasters. The engineer has a lot more control over the sound since they have access to the individual stems and not just a single audio file.
The recent Sargent Pepper re-release is a remix, ditto those two Ozzy Osbourne albums mentioned above.

I rarely double dip on an album but I'm sorely tempted by the recent remix of XTCs English Settlement. The original album is a bit murky and lacks the polish of their other albums. Has anyone heard the new version?
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/17/2017 20:49
  • Post subject:
For an album I've listened to so much I know it back to front and sideways, the Analogue Productions remaster of Pet Sounds made my jaw drop when I first heard it (I ended up selling Lel my old copy). Even on my modest set-up the soundstage and instrument separation are unlike anything I'd ever heard.

Going the other way, listening to the original Scratch mix of Heart Of The Congos has made me fall in love with it all over again. I picked it up 3 days after RSD from Honest Jon's for £15 and it's already going for close-on £100, but once you listen to it (essentially a 'dry' mix, without the echo and reverb) you can see why.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/17/2017 23:05
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
the remaster quality on "The Billie Holiday Collection" series is some kind of fucking miracle. Volume 2 in particular sounds like the songs could've been recorded 30 years later than they actually were

ooh. Might have to get on this!

Nice to see ya, DBZ!!! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/17/2017 23:06
  • Post subject:
The Legacy edition of Sweetheart of The Rodeo is essential for Byrds fans or fans of country rock in general. Features Parsons on vocals (he had to excluded in the original release due to contractual issues. Obs this changes everything!)
  • Visit poster's website