Then I read up on what the album was about... holy shit.
Then I realized this was the most emotionally raw album dealing with death I've ever heard. I felt much of this when my father passed. Unless you've dealt with death like this before, probably really hard to relate to.
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
I did not like Souvlaki. I mean it was ok, but wasn't my cup of tea. Never had further interest in listening to this band again. But I thought, what they heck, it's high ranked, I'll check it.
I was presently surprised. I love the layering and the lyrics bring me to probably the late 80s, early 90s alternative rock. Somehow this 2017 album took me back there, but in a fresh way. First listen of the final track I thought it was really tacky and was like WTF, don't you have anything else to say, and my second listen it somehow meant something.
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
I had listened to a couple samples of FJM in the past and wasn't impressed.
This album though. The title track caught my attention, and then it was hook, line, sinker into the rest. Reminds me of a solo artist of Dylan or Simon of the 70s. I suppose he's a new artist regurgitating ideas past, but in a really good way. Sorry, that sounded worse than I wanted it to, but what I mean is he's not really doing anything new, but does a great job tapping into something great, and I really dig his lyrics.
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
I really wanted to like this more than I do. It's intriguing for sure, but I wouldn't spin this for years to come. As a bassist, I wanted to like it. Appreciating the interview I saw with him, discussing why he called it drunk - our society is just so drunk, and thought it fitting. His lyrics are also very fitting. IDK - reminds me a bit of Zappa. Someone else said it has too much half baked ideas - probably to represent our ADD society, but still, idk, yeah, it is a hot mess of an album. Probably will still make my list, but again as much as I respect it, I likely won't spin it again. It is a difficult listen. Listening level: Advanced.
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
Probably a top 5 album for me for 2017. Damn old bastards.
Seventh Heaven was a major turn off for this pure pop (not ironic pop) venture he makes here. Saw some headline he was inspired to go full pop by his kids.
Anyway, I've said it before but Coldplay goes pop and I vomit, Beck goes pop and it's mostly gold. Only 3 (?) mediocre songs? The rest I really dig.
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
John Frusciante left the RHCP, and created this...
Don't know what to think about that. It's cool, but no where near as amazing as his soulful guitar playing. i'm glad he doesn't pigeonhole himself as an artist though. And there's time I like his singing more than Anthony. Probably top 20 material of the year. Intriguing for sure. i'd probably spin it once or twice a year.
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
Great riff rock, instrumentation. Mediocre at best songwriting. Nothing terribly memorable. I think this band is a bit of hype to frank, even from the beginning. Regurgitating something already amazingly done by many artists before.
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum