MBGA: Discuss the Yearly Chart Above You

Goto page Previous  12345678  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Here's a year that I just recently revised.

Top 79 Music Albums of 2005 by Tha1ChiefRocka


A lot that I don't know on here, and I lot I need to check out. Amazing top album of course, and moving on through your top 20 I also know and like Demon Days, The Mouse And The Mask, and The Further Adventures Of Lord Quas. Later on, a disregarded gem that I'm happy to see is Let My People Go.

I'm listening to Modal Soul now for the first time based on its high position on your chart and it's really good. Don't know how I've passed it by for so long. Some very obscure emcees and Terry Callier over laid-back jazzy beats is a winning recipe.

The next album on your chart that I badly want to hear is Beauty And The Beat, so I've downloaded it for later.

Albums you might like for 2005 if you haven't tried them already:


We Got It 4 Cheap, Vol. 2 by Clipse


The Minstrel Show by Little Brother

For the next one I'll leave my 2016 chart here, which I updated recently. I still have a wishlist of 38 albums to work through though, so it's far from complete:

Top 72 Music Albums of 2016 by baystateoftheart
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
@ Baystate

Thanks! I'm fairly certain I've listened to a lot of what's on that Clipse album, but it's been awhile. Hell Hath No Fury is one of my favorite rap albums, so I know that one should probably be on my chart. Definitely will give Little Brother a listen to, those are some great names.

Yeah, that's probably Edan's best.

Definitely check out Cool Calm Pete as well. Good sample heavy hip hop record. Very obscure and weird samples.
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:

In short? The sounds please me on an innate emotional level.

Within Anna Burch’s scene, genre, and aesthetic I would say she approaches things in a way that I find better to her immediate peers. The songs might use a simplistic rhyming scheme and follow a mellow, airy approach (using terms like lazy are counterproductive toward conversation and I do not use them) but they have resonance and that is what is centrally important.

Quit the Curse is rather vibrant and heartfelt. It has a soundscape that harkens back to the mid-90s twee and dream pop, which it tries to apply to current sensibilities in the singer/songwriter sphere in the alternative music scene. “Belle Isle” is probably one of the best songs 2018 is produced and I won’t listen to any argument against it. As for the songwriting? You don’t need to be verbose, technical, and mathematic in your songwriting to capture the imagination of a listener or the spirit of a theme. Brevity is something that Anna Burch latches onto and her songs feel warm and latch onto something for me that puts me in a focused state of mind. As a debut that I had zero impressions going into it surprised me and after nearly a dozen listens after my first listen, I would say that its staying power proves to me that it deserves placement as my favorite record of the year.


Point taken on “lazy” being a bit negative and counterproductive.

I’m not all that familiar with mid 90’s twee and dream pop, but I do like The Sundays from a bit earlier, and The Innocence Mission from around that time, and can hear a connection to that.

I listened to “Belle Isle” again. The lyric “twisted myself up into the sheets with guilt” is a great tactile one.

Some interesting chord changes, too. I like the minor chord iv to I, Dm to A (which is reminiscent of 60’s guitar pop). And the C# to Dm on the bridge is unusual. I also like that the song ends unresolved on the chord V, E7.

Intro
D C#m Bm A C#m F# Bm7 E E6 E7

Verse
A A/E A A
A F#m Bm7 E
A A/E A A
A F#m Bm7 E
Dm A Dm A Dm A E E6 E7

Bridge
Bm E C#m F#
Bm E A E
Bm E C# Dm
Bm E A E E6 E7

I’m wondering what you think of this one? I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Similarly “indie” sounding (to my limited knowledge of such things), and heartfelt delivery, shows the material to be better than I believed it to be.


Juliana Hatfield Sings Olivia Newton-John by Juliana Hatfield

And because you like Caitlyn Smith and Kacey Musgraves, I’m wondering if you’ve checked out this one?...


By The Way, I Forgive You by Brandi Carlile


Last edited by rkm on 04/23/2018 22:58; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
  • Quote
Anyone going to discuss the last chart posted? (cough cough)
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
rkm wrote:
Gowi wrote:

In short? The sounds please me on an innate emotional level.

Within Anna Burch’s scene, genre, and aesthetic I would say she approaches things in a way that I find better to her immediate peers. The songs might use a simplistic rhyming scheme and follow a mellow, airy approach (using terms like lazy are counterproductive toward conversation and I do not use them) but they have resonance and that is what is centrally important.

Quit the Curse is rather vibrant and heartfelt. It has a soundscape that harkens back to the mid-90s twee and dream pop, which it tries to apply to current sensibilities in the singer/songwriter sphere in the alternative music scene. “Belle Isle” is probably one of the best songs 2018 is produced and I won’t listen to any argument against it. As for the songwriting? You don’t need to be verbose, technical, and mathematic in your songwriting to capture the imagination of a listener or the spirit of a theme. Brevity is something that Anna Burch latches onto and her songs feel warm and latch onto something for me that puts me in a focused state of mind. As a debut that I had zero impressions going into it surprised me and after nearly a dozen listens after my first listen, I would say that its staying power proves to me that it deserves placement as my favorite record of the year.


Point taken on “lazy” being a bit negative and counterproductive.

I’m not all that familiar with mid 90’s twee and dream pop, but I do like The Sundays from a bit earlier, and The Innocence Mission from around that time, and can hear a connection to that.

I listened to “Belle Isle” again. The lyric “twisted myself up into the sheets with guilt” is a great tactile one.

Some interesting chord changes, too. I like the minor chord iv to I, Dm to A (which is reminiscent of 60’s guitar pop). And the C# to Dm on the bridge is unusual. I also like that the song ends unresolved on the chord V, E7.

Intro
D C#m Bm A C#m F# Bm7 E E6 E7

Verse
A A/E A A
A F#m Bm7 E
A A/E A A
A F#m Bm7 E
Dm A Dm A Dm A E E6 E7

Bridge
Bm E C#m F#
Bm E A E
Bm E C# Dm
Bm E A E E6 E7

I’m wondering what you think of this one? I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Similarly “indie” sounding (to my limited knowledge of such things), and heartfelt delivery, shows the material to be better than I believed it to be.


Juliana Hatfield Sings Olivia Newton-John by Juliana Hatfield

And because you like Caitlyn Smith and Kacey Musgraves, I’m wondering if you’ve checked out this one?...


By The Way, I Forgive You by Brandi Carlile


That Olivia Newton-John covers album is the most surprising thing I've seen in a long time. I laughed when I saw it right now. Just seems like a funny idea. Olivia had at least three great ones, two of which are covered here. Magic and A Little More Love. However my favorite one is missing: her first hit, a cover of Bob Dylan's If Not For You. Anyway, I look forward to hearing this album.
  • Quote
baystateoftheart wrote:


For the next one I'll leave my 2016 chart here, which I updated recently. I still have a wishlist of 38 albums to work through though, so it's far from complete:

Top 72 Music Albums of 2016 by baystateoftheart


We have these 6 in common. I didn't spend really any time on 2016, I was more focused on my decade charts that year.

Lemonade by Beyoncé (7 points)
Weezer (The White Album) by Weezer (7 points)
★ (Blackstar) by David Bowie (6 points)
The Life Of Pablo by Kanye West (4 points)
99.9% by Kaytranada (3 points)
Light Upon The Lake by Whitney (3 points)

I was heavily disappointed in Weezer's effort, but blown away by Bowie and Beyonce's efforts.

I'm a bit surprised EMOTION isn't number 1. What do you like about the first 3 albums better?

There are quite a few albums on the chart I'm familiar with by name, but only listened to once and wasn't crazy about them. Probably more a me problem than the albums themselves as they were critically acclaimed.

I have yet to check out Kendrick's effort from that year.

Thanks for mentioning the Massive Attack EP too. It any good?
  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:


For the next one I'll leave my 2016 chart here, which I updated recently. I still have a wishlist of 38 albums to work through though, so it's far from complete:

Top 72 Music Albums of 2016 by baystateoftheart


We have these 6 in common. I didn't spend really any time on 2016, I was more focused on my decade charts that year.

Lemonade by Beyoncé (7 points)
Weezer (The White Album) by Weezer (7 points)
★ (Blackstar) by David Bowie (6 points)
The Life Of Pablo by Kanye West (4 points)
99.9% by Kaytranada (3 points)
Light Upon The Lake by Whitney (3 points)

I was heavily disappointed in Weezer's effort, but blown away by Bowie and Beyonce's efforts.

I'm a bit surprised EMOTION isn't number 1. What do you like about the first 3 albums better?

There are quite a few albums on the chart I'm familiar with by name, but only listened to once and wasn't crazy about them. Probably more a me problem than the albums themselves as they were critically acclaimed.

I have yet to check out Kendrick's effort from that year.

Thanks for mentioning the Massive Attack EP too. It any good?


That's surprising. A lot of the songs on that record were power pop heaven. Not as good as their first two albums, to be sure, but better than the bits and pieces of what I've heard from their output since.

To clarify, this is EMOTION side B, so a different album than the one I was defending in AfterHours' diary. It's a leftovers EP, but it still has a lot of amazing pop songs. Here are brief synopses of the albums ahead of it:

1. Telefone is a very mellow jazz rap mixtape with warm beats and a lot of replay value as a nocturnal album, and she has great flow and meaningful lyrical content.

2. We Got It From Here is ATCQ's triumphant return to the music industry, featuring Phife's last recordings (RIP). It has amazing beats, tight flows, some cool guest appearances and a decidedly more political edge than their earlier work, which it stands up well to.

3. Bonito Generation is just a really fun sugar rush - an extremely danceable electronic pop album with lyrics in both English and Japanese.

I did like the Massive Attack EP. It's been a while since I listened but I gave it a 4/5 last time I did.

And Seth, you forgot to leave a chart of your own for someone to respond to!
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
Thanks for the run down of those 3 albums - and Doh! I knew she had a b-sides album to that album, but wasn't paying enough attention obviously.

I felt like that Weezer album had all the elements their earlier stuff had, so I see why it's liked, but somehow it just sounded like B-sides from that time period... nothing really took off for me. I got excited for nothing. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't good. For me their previous album "everything will be alright in the end" far surpassed it - even the less acclaimed Red Album did better for me. idk... maybe I should give it another listen. I think their last effort was even worse.

I suppose there's my 50's list:
Top 100 Music Albums of the 1950s by sethmadsen

I think a future version of this list will have Classical music only written during the 50's... idk. I was trying to show that the 50's had an alive and well classical music following still, but failed at doing so in a way that really reflects that, if that makes any sense. Most classical albums listed are good works that just happened to be albums recorded in the 50's instead of acclaimed 50's classical recordings if that makes any sense.
  • Quote
Let's revive this game if people are interested. Someone will have to drop a chart in the thread though because the last one posted was a decade chart, not a year chart.
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  12345678  Next
Page 3 of 8


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
Sticky: Chart talk Guest Music
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
Do you keep yearly lists of singles? rkm Music
Decade/yearly chart "Sort by&quo... asimpkins Suggestions

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.