Music: US vs UK

Goto page 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Country with best music
UK (United Kingdom):
44%
 44%  [16]
US (United States):
55%
 55%  [20]
Total Votes : 36

  • Quote
Which country do you think has the best musical history, best musical culture, biggest music-legends/musicians, greatest albums / what do you like the most / if you could only listen to music from either one of the two countries ftrofyl, what would it be? The United States or The United Kingdom?

For me, I would mostly say US, just purely based on how essential it has been for me my entire life. But atm, I'm currently digging some UK artists a lot.

Here's some examples of essentials:

US:
Bob Dylan
Nirvana
Michael Jackson
Stevie Wonder
Marvin Gaye
The Doors
Pixies
Kanye West
Eminem
Nas
Jimi Hendrix
Weezer
Jack White
Queens of The Stone Age
Elliott Smith
OutKast
Captain Beefheart
Wu-Tang Clan


UK:
Radiohead
The Beatles
Pink Floyd
The Prodigy
The Cure
Led Zeppelin
David Bowie
The Who
Queen
Gorillaz
Blur
Oasis
Nick Drake
Joy Division
Yes
Van Morrison
The Kinks
Talk Talk
ELO
XTC
Spiritualized
_________________
My Top 100 :
www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=4...amp;page=1

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian


Last edited by DommeDamian on 05/14/2019 19:01; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
I'm gonna abstain. So much great music from both, that it's impossible to choose.

Within certain genres, I might be able to lean one way or the other, but overall, not a chance.
  • Quote
As much as I enjoy music from the UK, if I could only listen to music from there, then I would be out all of my favorite Jazz and Hip Hop albums, so that would kind of suck.
  • Quote
For years and years, I would have said UK. But now its the USA all the way. Even if this country obsession I'm going through fades, I don't think jazz ever will.
  • Quote
badseed wrote:
For years and years, I would have said UK. But now its the USA all the way. Even if this country obsession I'm going through fades, I don't think jazz ever will.


Jazz is what keeps me from voting UK. If it was just rock, I'd be inclined to lean UK with the likes of the Moodies, Sabbath, Tull, Yes, King Crimson, ELP, Maiden, Who, Kinks, etc. but theres no way I'm going without Davis, Coltrane, Montgomery, Blakey, Hancock, Hubbard, Morgan, etc.
  • Quote
The UK often just polishes our turds, and I mean that in a loving way for both sides of the pond.
  • Quote
I love jazz, rock and classic R&B almost equally. Even if I ceded all of my favorite rock to the UK (which I don't: my overall has slightly more US rock than UK), it's still not even close. But since I don't believe in pitting countries' art against each other, I'm abstaining.
  • Quote
if youre looking at older stuff, through like the 80s or so, you'd probably have to give the edge to the UK, but after that (and certainly in the last 10 years) the US has the UK beat handily

just to check and make sure i wasnt overstating, i took a peak at my 2010s chart to see what the skew was, and yeah, canada easily has a better music scene now than the UK does. the only 2 uk albums i have on my 2010s chart are welsh and scottish, in fact, so england is... really lagging! altho now that i thnk about it i should probably include lets eat grandma on my list... hm...[/b]
_________________
My top songs of the 2010s
and
Spotify link

Last.fm
  • Quote
UK music may have fallen in the last decade, but if you look overall, IMO, UK is on top of the US. So many legendary bands that are unforgettable. And they are a small country compared to the US...
  • Quote
does this get me out of listening to oasis for good?
_________________
follow me on the bandcamp.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 12  Next
Page 1 of 2


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Music Diaries SuedeSwede Music Diaries
[ Poll ] Best Music Video(TEST) Take #2 (And A... GARY Music
What is the greatest bit of Classical... BasdeWit97 Music
Music Review / Discussion Podcast - M... Keithfloman Music
Anyone want to work with music / alre... Guest Lounge

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.