You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 135136137 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
(1)


Infected by The The

This is an awesome synth-pop album. I've known of The The for years and years (never had a chance or cause to listen) and always thought they were a noise rock/alternative band akin to Sonic Youth or Dinosaur Jr. Anyways, the first two tracks were okay..."Infected" tries to roar out of the gate, and only somewhat succeeds. "Out Of The Blue" is my least favorite song on the album. But, from "Heartland" on, the album is aces. "Angels Of Deception" shifts around in a cool way...it almost goes out as a different song from how it began. I love the coda. "Twilight Of A Champion" was my favorite track. The chorus is super catchy and sounds like something by Bowie, and Matt Johnson's slow swelling, sweated out vocal delivery is incredible. I'm not sure why it's rated so low here, but it's a killer tune.

Yep Purple, I found some really good stuff in your chart! All three albums I tried from your top 5 were incredible, in particular. I don't think I walked away from any album without at least one bomb track, except maybe Car Seat Headrest. So, the hit rate was excellent, awesome chart. I decided to stop when I got to 50/100 listened, and actually went to 51 because I listened to Come On Pilgrim right after Surfer Rosa. I need to replay Screamadelica, and I'm sure I'll get to the other two Smiths album I haven't heard at some point.

(2)

See if A+ lives up to it's name, Chief.

(3)

baystateoftheart's Greatest Albums:

6. Acabou Chorare // Novos Baianos
7. Superfly // Curtis Mayfield
9. Modern Vampires Of The City // Vampire Weekend
11. Telefone // Noname
12. In A Silent Way // Miles Davis
15. Pieces Of A Man // Gil Scott-Heron
16. Trouble Will Find Me // The National
18. Boxer // The National
19. Curtis // Curtis Mayfield
20. Presenting The Fabulous Ronettes Featuring Veronica // The Ronettes

I left off Blood On The Tracks, because I'm in the process of going through Dylan's discography chronologically. I'll skip The Hissing Of Summer Lawns for the same reason.
  • Quote

The Latch-Key Child by A+

Probably the best hip hop album ever made by a 13-year-old. Q-Tip, Prodigy, and AZ are even featured. A nice little novelty for hip hop heads.

Superfly for sure, Jameth.

Psycho Realm - A War Story Book I
Liekki- Korppi
Artesia - Llydaw
Alberich - NATO-Uniformen (Crap, the next 4 hour album)
Ajilvsga โ€Žโ€“ The Origin Of The Chaul
Horse Lords - Interventions
RLW - Points Of Reference
The Toy Matinee- Toy Matinee
Die Verbannten Kinder Evas - In darkness let me dwell
A Primary Industry - Ultramarine
  • Quote
1.


Suicide by Suicide

This is undoubtedly an extremely important album. According to RYM, it's the first synth punk album and second minimal synth album ever. Plus, it sounds cool as hell, instrumentally and vocally. On the downside, "Girl" is a bit meh, and I don't know how I feel about the message on "Frankie Teardrop" that we are all men who committed a double-murder suicide. Message aside, what a harrowing and well-composed track. Despite any misgivings, I enjoyed this a lot more than I predicted I would. It's really good. 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. Idk, Psycho Realm I guess. It has B-Real at least.

~~~~~

3. BEA Top Rated Chart Sampler

61. Kurtco: 28. Henryโ€™s Dream - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
62. joyofdivision: 2. Screamadelica - Primal Scream
63. kaduphemingsucks: 10. The Real McCoy - McCoy Tyner
64. awesomness425: 8. Sleep - Flatsound
65. sebfox: 46. 13 - Blur
66. stangetzaway: 4. Songs For Swinginโ€™ Lovers! - Frank Sinatra
67. splashfoop: 1. Friedrich Cerha: Spiegel; Monumentum; Momente - Sylvain Cambreling / Friedrich Cerha / Dennis Russell Davies
68. sssvnnn: 2. The Living Road - Lhasa De Self
69. jdenny2018: 1. Hemispheres - Rush
70. Medelsvensson: 24. Europe โ€™72 - Grateful Dead
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote

The Psycho Realm by Psycho Realm

So, War Story Book I was their lowest rated album, so I listened to their debut instead, which was rated much higher. Good dark beats and conspiracy-laden lyrics make for an interesting album. B-Real is in good form, but the other two MC's aren't that impressive. Cool album though, and another reason why late 90s hip hop ruled.

Baystate, it's time for Hemispheres by Rush, which, to me, simultaneously has some of their best and dorkiest songs.

Liekki- Korppi
Artesia - Llydaw
Alberich - NATO-Uniformen (Crap, the next 4 hour album)
Ajilvsga โ€Žโ€“ The Origin Of The Chaul
Horse Lords - Interventions
RLW - Points Of Reference
The Toy Matinee- Toy Matinee
Die Verbannten Kinder Evas - In darkness let me dwell
A Primary Industry - Ultramarine
Susumu Hirasawa- Kyuusai no Gihou
  • Quote
1.


Hemispheres by Rush

This is what people mean when they talk about wanky prog. Tracks one and two are pretty good in spite of that. Tracks three and four are just okay, and wow does The Trees have terrible lyrics haha. The cover is also hilariously bad. I'll give this a passing grade, but who knows when I'll listen again. 3/5.

~~~~~

2. Try this:


Interventions by Horse Lords

~~~~~

3. BEA Top Rated Chart Sampler

71. briggs54: 13. Barbed Wire Maggots - Borbetomagus
72. mozzmozz: 2. In Absentia - Porcupine Tree
73. alexgagne: 1. The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place - Explosions In The Sky
74. buzzdainer: 2. Closing Time - Tom Waits
75. Lgk21: 20. Imperial Bedroom - Elvis Costello & The Attractions
76. meruizh: 9. Zitilites - Kashmir
77. corenfro: 16. Tommy - The Who
78. flamingyesdept: 12. Aja - Steely Dan
79. Tha1ChiefRocka: 2. The Piano Music Of Henry Cowell - Henry Cowell
80. Ulf: 1. Unplugged - Eric Clapton
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote

A Hairshirt Of Purpose by Pile

An album I meant to listen to in 2017 but somehow never got around to. This post-hardcore indie rock album is a rather interesting listen with changing dynamics. Soft and loud, slow and energetic, melodic and noisy, minimalist and maximalist etc. Often within the same song and over the album as a whole. This means not every song works for me, but when they do, like Texas, and Fingers for example, they are great. His voice is interesting too, with notes that I wasn't expecting and taking me by surprise. 8/10 and 65/100 for 2017.

Baystate listen to Tommy


Tommy by The Who

Rocka's 2010's mix (3 picks left)

Wakin On A Pretty Daze by Kurt Vile
The Terror by The Flaming Lips
Kill For Love by Chromatics
Engravings by Forest Swords
Pleasure Suck by The Spirit Of The Beehive
Slow Focus by Fuck Buttons
How To Live With A Phantom by Shintaro Sakamoto
Heavy Hearted In Doldrums by Antwon
Just Married by Glocca Morra
Everywhere At The End Of Time by The Caretaker
  • Quote

Interventions by Horse Lords

An experimental rock band with a penchant for the avant-garde pioneers of yesteryear. From what I read, it says that their primary influence was La Monte Young, but I also hear a lot of one of my favorites, Henry Flynt.

According to Discogs the band "plays experimental music with elements of krautrock, post-punk, Appalachian and African musical traditions, polyrhythmia, arcane tunings and modular synthesis. The band uses the just intonation tuning system favored by avantgarde composers La Monte Young and James Tenney, so the musicians are playing hand-modified guitars with repositioned frets, re-tuned and customized by [band member Owen] Gardner."

So, based on that premise, I'd say that this album is pretty successful, and I am interested to hear more.

Purple, listen to Fuck Buttons. (Man, what a name.)

Liekki- Korppi
Artesia - Llydaw
Alberich - NATO-Uniformen (Crap, the next 4 hour album)
Ajilvsga โ€Žโ€“ The Origin Of The Chaul
RLW - Points Of Reference
The Toy Matinee- Toy Matinee
Die Verbannten Kinder Evas - In darkness let me dwell
A Primary Industry - Ultramarine
Susumu Hirasawa- Kyuusai no Gihou
Wayne Smith โ€Ž- Youthman Skanking
  • Quote

Slow Focus by Fuck Buttons

Oh wow! I think this is one of the best first listens of an electronic album I've had. In a genre I'm not into much this really stands out. A great post-industrial type sound that held my attention, a drone influence that successfully drew me into the songs instead of losing me, with treats of neo-psychedelic effects throughout. A great album that I enjoyed so much I am putting it in my top 10 or the year after one listen. 8.5/10 and 8/44 for 2013.

Now I am looking forward to checking out A Primary Industry Rocka.


Ultramarine by A Primary Industry

Rocka's 2010's mix (2 picks left)

Wakin On A Pretty Daze by Kurt Vile
The Terror by The Flaming Lips
Kill For Love by Chromatics
Engravings by Forest Swords
Pleasure Suck by The Spirit Of The Beehive
How To Live With A Phantom by Shintaro Sakamoto
Heavy Hearted In Doldrums by Antwon
Just Married by Glocca Morra
Everywhere At The End Of Time by The Caretaker
The Disintegration Loops by William Basinski
  • Quote
Purplepash wrote:

Slow Focus by Fuck Buttons

Oh wow! I think this is one of the best first listens of an electronic album I've had. In a genre I'm not into much this really stands out. A great post-industrial type sound that held my attention, a drone influence that successfully drew me into the songs instead of losing me, with treats of neo-psychedelic effects throughout. A great album that I enjoyed so much I am putting it in my top 10 or the year after one listen. 8.5/10 and 8/44 for 2013.



๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜
  • Quote
(1)


Superfly by Curtis Mayfield

I've been wanting to check out more R&B, soul, and funk, so this moved me in that direction. It looks like this is generally regarded as funk, but I don't know to what extent it's considered that. It doesn't seem to fit the mold of the harder funk sound by groups like Parliament. Soft funk? Smooth funk? Cool funk?

First, I'll say that I love Mayfield's rich, mellow tenor, and the way he pairs it with politically-charged lyrics has to be a pretty rare combo. It's certainly lush, musically, there's a lot happing in the background. Some of the instrumental tracks, it's really the opposite. Not much happening on "Think". I don't know if there are similar instrumentals on his first two albums, but I feel like these were composed with the film in mind, and not necessarily with an album in mind. They don't really do anything for me.

Overall, I'd say that the music is really good, the lyrics are impactful, but at the same time this isn't something that I would want to sit around the house listening to. Maybe it's because this has a sound that I find akin to disco, I don't know. I know it's unfair to compare this album to something that came after, but I can't push the similarities out of my mind. I think I prefer the 60's for R&B or soul...the stuff from the 70's doesn't seem to have aged nearly as well.

(2)

Chromatics could be interesting, Purple.


Kill For Love by Chromatics

(3)

6. Acabou Chorare // Novos Baianos
9. Modern Vampires Of The City // Vampire Weekend
11. Telefone // Noname
12. In A Silent Way // Miles Davis
15. Pieces Of A Man // Gil Scott-Heron
16. Trouble Will Find Me // The National
18. Boxer // The National
19. Curtis // Curtis Mayfield
20. Presenting The Fabulous Ronettes Featuring Veronica // The Ronettes
21. Donuts // J Dilla

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 135136137 ... 444445446  Next
Page 136 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.