You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 213214215 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote

Wild Why by Wobbly

Smidge scattered for my liking. Not sure I dug it at all. I don't think it gives you any time. Kinda like Girl Talk in a pinball machine. I get the appeal, but truly not for me. Impressive production for 2002 though.

Babyblue— Queen II. Even if you don't dig it, might's'well have it checked off.



From Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by Tap

Keith Rowe - The Room Extended
Olivia Block - Heave To
Hrvatski - Oiseaux 96-98
Micachu - Never
Oskar Sala - Electronic Virtuosity
AMM - The Crypt
Luc Ferrari - Hétérozygote / J'ai Été Coupé
Ami Yoshida & Toshimaru Nakamura - Soba To Bara
Kemialliset Ystävät - Ullakkopalo
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
// 1


The Velocity Of Love by Suzanne Ciani

I listened to this while taking in an afternoon snowfall, which I'd have to say were/are the optimal conditions for listening to Ciani's style of music. I love the warmth of analog synths, and Ciani has a genial style that maximizes the characteristics of her instruments. This album reminds me somewhat of Tangerine Dream, but what I love about this is that it isn't overly drone-y or repetitive like TD can be. Ciani's musical training helps her here, I'm sure. I think my biggest complaint is with the production on the last three tracks. After also listening to Seven Waves, it's clear that "The Eighth Wave" is from the same sessions, and likely "Lay Down Beside Me" is, as well. The last three tracks lack the dynamics of the eight waves and the second track, which is disappointing. Anyways, I probably won't ever appreciate this as much as you, Luigii, but this album (and Seven Waves) will fit nicely in my growing electronic repository.

I have to mention that the new age tag for her music is unfair, because it certainly doesn't fall in with the strictly commercial releases of that so-called genre. I'll stick with the progressive electronic and ambient labels.

// 2

I need to give AMMMusic another listen. I didn't like it when I first heard it, but I'm sure I'd understand it better now. Check out The Crypt.


The Crypt - 12th June 1968 by AMM

// 3

Luigii’s 84 Greatest Music Albums (two more):

3. Caracal /--/ Disclosure
11. Astral Progressions /--/ Josef Leimberg
15. The Royal Scam /--/ Steely Dan
16. Love Deluxe /--/ Sade
17. Emergency On Planet Earth /--/ Jamiroquai
20. Here To There /--/ DJ Spinna
21. Bridges /--/ Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson
22. One From The Heart /--/ Tom Waits
23. Big Calm /--/ Morcheeba
24. Mule Variations /--/ Tom Waits
_________________
Can you play free, or in three, or agree to try something new?
  • Quote

Buena Vista Social Club by Buena Vista Social Club

I imagine this would have been an important album in 1997, in terms of promoting and raising awareness of world music in general, and Cuban music specifically, but listening to it in today's streaming times, when there is so much world music easily available, I feel there is a lot more engaging world music out there for me. It's not that I disliked this at all, it just didn't move me in any way. I believe I could play this around my pensioner age parents and they wouldn't complain. There is not much music I play that fits into that category. Maybe that's the problem I have...it has a very European old timey vibe to it to me. It's okay but very unlikely I will come back to it. 7/10, and 47/50 for 1997.


Jameth, I just listened to Mule Variations recently and it's the album I liked most from what I've heard on this list.


Mule Variations by Tom Waits


Top 100 Music Albums of the 1990s by Hayden (3 picks left)

4. Another Thought by Arthur Russell
6. And She Closed Her Eyes by Stina Nordenstam
7. Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde by The Pharcyde
16. Geek The Girl by Lisa Germano
18. Lisova Kolekciya by Світлана Няньо / Олександр Юрченко [Svitlana Nianio / Alexander Yurchenko]
20. So Tonight That I Might See by Mazzy Star
30. Louis Andriessen: De Staat by Reinbert De Leeuw / The Schoenberg Ensemble
31. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain by Pavement
32. The Infamous... by Mobb Deep
33. Don't Send Me Flowers by Twa Toots
  • Quote
(1)

Emily's D+Evolution by Esperanza Spalding
Well bay, it's easy to see why you like it. It's a magnificent blend of soul, rock, jazz and blues, with incredible players and a fantastic vocalist. And along with being a great singer, Esperanza is not too shabby of a songwriter too, there really wasn't too many weak moments here. One was my favourite, it's an instant hit. 10-minute live version of Unconditional Love is incredible. I may have been too lenient with my ratings for the last few albums, some of them weren't as enjoyable later as when I reviewed them here (Somi, Kyuss). So I made sure to give Emily's D + Evolution 3 listens, and it's consistently great. 8/10

(2)
Crooked Rain was cool 90s lofi indie, from what I remember

(3)
deepcuts top 50 of the decade & RYM metal top 100

15/ The Armed - Untitled
20/ Mica Levi - Under the Skin OST
49/ Greg Ward - Touch my Beloved's Thought
50/ Oceansize - Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up
Neurosis - Through Silver In Blood
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Immolation - Close To The World Below
Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote

25 Years Later by Blaze (US)

I wasn't done with the album when I typed that, it got more dated by the end, but I still think it sounds a bit ahead of it's time with contemporary dance stuff that was being done later in the decade. Still fun house music with some other genres thrown in for good measure.

Ledzep, listen to the Neurosis album.

Alan Watts- This Is It
Bob Bell-Necropolis
猫 シ Corp. : Palm Mall
Gnidrolog- Lady Lake
Shannon Wright- Over the Sun
Akira Ishikawa & Count Buffaloes - Uganda
GÉRARD GRISEY : "Les Espaces Acoustiques"
THOU-Heathen
Steve Moore - Light Echoes
Etna- Etna
  • Quote
@Jameth, It has been a while since I have listen to Suzanne Ciana, so I don't know if I adore that album that much. But since the world has gone crazy, I might go back to clean that up. Maybe. But I'm glad to expand anyone's electronic listening habits.

#1


So for the second album from PJ Harvey, I do enjoy this album. A little more than her 2000 album. Which, to be a bit blunt, haven't really listen to it since I went through the 2000 year end list back in 2019. Thought it was good, but not an album I'd go back to on a usual basis. And that is due to not being my aesthetic or my cup of tea within music listening. But this was a little better. For any arguments I have with this album would be how I wish the sound had a little oomph to it due to how this record has themes of revolting and showing politics in the UK from the early 2010's. As well as the first couple of songs while not bad, sound wise was a bit of a turn off. And it isn't because it is atonal or not pleasing to ears. It just hits a certain chord for me that made me hesitant from going full force. Had to listen to some other albums before I decided to venture through this.

But after that hurdle, it got better. If there was something that made me look at this album more positively more than the other album I listened to would be how some songs off this album had this dream pop vibe to it. It oddly reminded me of Cocteau Twins. Which is a positive from me. And while I didn't feel invigorated to be more political, I will give her props to going in that direction. If you want a political album I love, listen To Pimp A Butterfly for the umpteenth time again. To end this off, does Harvey have a full album that has the dream pop vibe I got from this? Because if she does, that will be great. Grade wise it will be an 80 and decimal it is a 8.3.

#2
Chief Listen to This Is It.

#3
Fantano's Top 100 of the 2010's

(2) Swans-To Be Kind
(6) Charli XCX-Charli
8 Fleet Foxes-Helplessness Blues
(15) Ondatropica-Self Titled
(22) Richard Dawson-2020
(24) Natalia Lafourcade-Musas Vol 2 (probably will listen to Vol 1 as well)
(25) Lingua Ignota-Calligula
(27) Behemoth-The Satanist
(31) Shabazz Palaces-Black Up
(32) La Dispute-Wildlife
  • Quote

This Is IT by Alan Watts

Well, Brain Sound now has it's counterpart album with this weird and mostly vocal thing from Alan Watts. This is mostly experimental gibberish with no real musical merit, but that didn't make it any less challenging or entertaining to listen to. I would give this a listen, and look up who this guy was if you don't know. He's in the sam realm of Timothy Leary, Ken Kesey, and the like. I hate the pretension and faux-intellectualism of the Beat Generation, but I can't say that I'm not fascinated by it.

Luigii, Black Up.

Bob Bell-Necropolis
猫 シ Corp. : Palm Mall
Gnidrolog- Lady Lake
Shannon Wright- Over the Sun
Akira Ishikawa & Count Buffaloes - Uganda
GÉRARD GRISEY : "Les Espaces Acoustiques"
THOU-Heathen
Steve Moore - Light Echoes
Etna- Etna
  • Quote
(1)

Through Silver In Blood by Neurosis
I've listened to this one once or twice before, but didn't know it well and haven't rated it. There were some other albums without rating from top 100 RYM metal, but that's the stuff that I know pretty well and will rate it without a relisten (Morbid Angel, Bathory were rated in the last few days, and some other stuff I'm yet to rate).
ANYWAYS enough of the rambling. This is an intense, agressive listen. Do not make the mistake of listening to it while doing other stuff. That happened at my first listen (yesterday), but the music's just too present, so I was distracted a lot. And I've managed to study with death metal, industrial, noise, avant-garde, free jazz and just about anything else in the background. Not this one. Neurosis is the band that pioneered now well known subgenre of post-sludge (mix of sludge metal and post-rock, often with progressive, ambient or other tendencies). Other bands in the same realm that joined the party a bit later are Isis and Cult of Luna. I've never listened to much of Neurosis, despite being a great admirer of Scott Kelly's work with Mastodon. Unlike the two aforementioned bands, Neurosis to me sounds a lot more industrial and avant-garde (or noise) inspired band. Crushing riffs mixed with relatively strong vocals. Just occasional breathers. Quieter parts sounded more like experimental rock than post-rock though. There's a soothing piano and even a violin lingering deep in the mix in Strength of Fates intro though, that's a bit like 2000s post rock (even though this is a 1996 song). There's two short interludes which slowed the album down a bit, but weren't bad. The album starts with fierce drums and guitars of the title track, and ends with maybe 2 best songs, Aeon and Enclosure in Flames, both of which were diverse and engaging. I liked the longer songs more, since they fit the style better - long intros and buildups, long passages of drums, bass and guitars kicking your ass and cathartic crescendos. That's maybe a compositional similarity with post-rock. Favourite moment - and there were many incredible parts - is the intro and initial buildup of Aeon. It's beautiful and grand (GRAND, caps lock). Enough of the rambling, c++ awaits. 8.5/10 with a strong chance of it being better with further listens. It's that kind of a slow-burn stuff.

(2)
Uganda. Just wonder what it is, no particular reason.

(3)
deepcuts top 50 of the decade & RYM metal top 100

15/ The Armed - Untitled
20/ Mica Levi - Under the Skin OST
49/ Greg Ward - Touch my Beloved's Thought
50/ Oceansize - Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Immolation - Close To The World Below
Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
1.


Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos

My reaction to this is very similar to the two other Tori Amos albums I have heard so far. Very talented artist making very good music, but the songs aren't resonating yet. None of the hooks have stayed in my head, and the storytelling hasn't blown me away. Either her albums will grow into favorites or will remain albums I greatly respect but don't love. Her vocals and songwriting are the highlights here, and the instrumentals aren't special, but I can't complain either. 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. Haven't heard this, but I enjoyed the album I tried by Mica(chu).


Under The Skin by Mica Levi

~~~~~

3. NPR's The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women

11. Coat Of Many Colors - Dolly Parton
14. Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston
17. Control - Janet Jackson
24. Coal Miner's Daughter - Loretta Lynn
25. Little Plastic Castle - Ani Difranco
34. Private Dancer - Tina Turner
38. It's A Mighty World - Odetta
42. Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Johnny Mercer Song Book - Ella Fitzgerald
44. Dreamboat Annie - Heart
47. Son Con Guaguanco - Celia Cruz
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote

Uganda by Akira Ishikawa & Count Buffaloes

A bizarre consummation of African and Psychedelic influences made by a Japanese artist. Certainly a unique experience. Ishikawa tries his best to replicate an African sound, but a lot of times falls flat. However, when the fuzzy psych-rock guitar is thrown in, it's actually incredible. A mixed-bag for sure.

Listen to Classic Rock radio stalwarts Heart.

Bob Bell-Necropolis
猫 シ Corp. : Palm Mall
Gnidrolog- Lady Lake
Shannon Wright- Over the Sun
GÉRARD GRISEY : "Les Espaces Acoustiques"
THOU-Heathen
Steve Moore - Light Echoes
Etna- Etna
Message - From Books and Dreams
The Northern Hymn - Kammarheit

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 213214215 ... 444445446  Next
Page 214 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.