And, while not being a new favorite excatly, listening to this album was excellent for several reasons. For one, I have always avoided this album and artist quite forcefully. Dio and in particular this iconic album were very connected to that absurd rawk nonsense of Jack Black. Now, looking back, I find those glorious early Tenacious D days quite amusing, but at the time I took the whole metal and music thing too seriously. So, finally listening to the album and soaking it up was a great experience. Also that album cover is So. Fucking. Outlandishly. METAL. Its both AMAZING and also quite ridiculous. So yeah that didn't vibe with me in my 13-16 metal years nor at any point since 16.
Now, I don't have a whole shit load to say about Holy Diver. The songs are consistently quite good and insanely well done. The lyrics are actually surprisingly good at times. Just at times, other times its just silly to my ears anyway. Now I wanna stop myself there and ask "why are these fantasy epic lyrics bad at all?" This is a good question. Cuz no joke after finishing this batch of metal albums I went and pushed play on another Episode of Critical Role. Critical Role is a youtube show with 4 hour episodes of Dungeons and Dragons played by voice actors. aka the dorkiest thing ever. But I love it. I love fantasy adventures, RPG video games, movies and Books, so why do I bristle a little and turn my nose up at metal lyrics of the same nature? WEll, i don't know. Its getting better! Like I said, I actually quite liked these lyrics at times. Maybe I'm finally pushing past the punk rock/somewhat elitist side of me that I have slowly developed for 20 years. We shall see.
The main star of the show is Dio and his insane vocals. This little man is such a God. I finally get the Jack Black obsession and his cameo in the Tenacious D movie. He really is quite legendary. His style is not my fave style, but without a doubt when it comes to technical virtuosity, massive sounding rock or metal vocals I'd put him right alongside Halford. And many of you would say "Yeah, obviously" well yeah but I never liked that. I never "got" the love of Dio until hearing this epic.
Also love the solos. They were less prominent on this than on say a Maiden or Priest album of the same era, but where they show up they are quite good. Just a rock solid metal album. it gets a 3.5 evil face score but i'll round up... ๐๐๐๐
This was good. I am quite familiar with Thrash and even this band. But I was soooo insanely laser focused on Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and a sampling of some Sepultera, Pantera and Exodus as a young thrash fan, I somehow didn't ever give these guys the respect they deserved. Is it as good as any Slayer from 83-91? No. How about Metallica 1983-1988? Nope. Megadeth circa 1986? yes, I'd say its in the same neighborhood, but not 1990 Megadeth. This is a slower, much less intense in terms of whiplash speed, somewhat less precise (a lot less precise) version of Thrash that I like but don't love. This is some filthy hardcore punk with more chops. This shit is just gnarly. From what I hear here or on even the much more clean and intense To Mega Therion, this isn't the same level of musicianship as what you'll hear on Kill Em All, Hell Awaits or even Bonded by Blood. But its got something they all lack (exodus has some of it) and that's a certain punk, fuck you attitude. For all the big four's technical adventage, they were a little up their own asses a bit with the musical aspect of things. These guys seem less inhibited by this especially on this debut and they just sound like some pissed off young bastards and I love it for that. Still, its a tier below To Mega Therion, and the other albums mentioned in my opinion. 3 evil faces ๐๐๐
What can I say about this album? Its just....its just amazing. Its a five facer just without a doubt so lets get that out of the way ๐๐๐๐๐
As for why its so good, well the songs are these weird (i mean they are strange, they are really slightly off kilter, like the band isn't taking itself one hundred percent seriously, but you're never sure what percentage is serious or not). The vocals are some of the most uniquely awesome of all time. They sound like they would fit on a college rock band or a post punk band or something other than heavy metal. But they also work here, but the fact they are so quirky makes all the songs and vocals sound all the better and more engaging. The intensity of some of the songs is amazing. Never full on thrash but always on the verge of becoming just a complete face-pummeler. I need to listen again to try to 1. recapture the magic of this first listen and also 2. be able to remember and explain better whyat I loved. Also need to listen to Melissa asap! This stuff is 1980s chart worthy (only the second album on the metal project that I can say is decade chart worthy - along with Pagan Altar and I loved this more than even Pagan Altar!)
-----------
also listened to Julien Baker
s Sprained Ankle, which is still good but I'm no longfer like 100% in love with it. It caught me at an emotionally vulnerable time initially so I cried. But i didn't cry this time. bummer. still great.
also listened to a couple 2020 albums today, Brass and some psych rock/black metal album by Oranssi Pazuzu. Also the 2021 album No Place by Danielle Durack. No Place has been playing a lot last couple days and I should have a shitty review of it soon up. Its likely to be a top 10 of 2021 or even higher. Good stuff.
OH and I relistened to this MASSSIVELY UNDERRATED AND OVERLOOKED GEM FROM @)!( (also know as 2019 when not holding down capslock)
Really its quite great. Singer Songwriter album that does some really gorgeous and weird stuff musically with great lyrics and songcraft and an engaging and personable vocalist. Check it out maybe.
(this wasn't on my list cuz I was familiar with it, but this is a great revisit and its just a fucking blast. better than Bonded by Blood? Maybe. I'll relisten to BbB for the first time in a decade soon and see how it holds up.)
and after this I will listen to more classic metal. AS I come up to the late 80s shit gets really REALLY intense. About 1987 (post Reign In Blood maybe) shit just got amped up to 11 in so many ways and I think I am ready. I hope I am ready. Napalm Death, Morbid Angel and Bathory here we come motherfuckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! _________________ -Ryan
Looking at metal as a whole, there are only a few ALBUMS that I would say are major for me personally. I like hundreds and really really admire and love dozens. But if I were to say what are the metal albums of all kinds that I would put in a pantheon as being both great and loved but also are personally deeply personal favorites they'd be 16 in number
Reign In Blood by Slayer
Ride The Lightning by Metallica
Kill 'Em All by Metallica
Master of Puppets by Metallica
NOLA by Down
Vol. 4 by Black Sabbath
Sad Wings of Destiny by Judas Priest
Prowler In The Yard by Pig Destroyer
Filth Pig by Ministry
Leprosy by Death
Broken by Nine Inch Nails
Heartwork by Carcass
Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler by Ulver
Sehnsucht by Rammstein
Far Beyond Driven by Pantera
Filosofem by Burzum
now some of those might seem weird. Heck some aren't even super high on my year charts. But these are the 16 albums that range from all time great albums that i also love and that also had a huge affect on me in my life (essentially that rarefied air is 1-8 above.) to albums I'd say aren't as good or classic as many albums I've heard but not included in my personal pantheon for purely personal reasons. They made the list because 1. They ARE great albums in their own way, and 2. they were truly personally important. Namely, that Nine Inch Nails EP, Pantera's FBD, Sehnsucht and Filth Pig are all albums that were integral to my youth, I spent hundreds of hours in the age range of about 13-15 listening them while feeling anger and feeling sorry for myself. To this day if I hear them I'm transported to another time and place. But also I do love 'em AS albums but maybe I don't speak up about them because idk maybe I'm a little embarrassed or maybe because I don't have enough faith in my convictions to mention them on conversations with people who love metal or heavy music.
Anyway, if over the next few months I discover even 1 or 2 more albums that can be added to that rarefied list I'd be happy. Very happy. Those 16 are so deeply ingrained in me I doubt any album will show up and become quite as deeply loved. We shall see.
Not sure what made me think of this. I guess I was wondering what metal albums can I honestly say are all time true blue favorites of mine and so I got to typing. Back to other stuff. See ya. _________________ -Ryan
But also I do love 'em AS albums but maybe I don't speak up about them because idk maybe I'm a little embarrassed or maybe because I don't have enough faith in my convictions to mention them on conversations with people who love metal or heavy music.
Anyway, if over the next few months I discover even 1 or 2 more albums that can be added to that rarefied list I'd be happy. Very happy. Those 16 are so deeply ingrained in me I doubt any album will show up and become quite as deeply loved. We shall see.
I get that, I had the same experience with lots of albums. I think most people have. Doesn't mean they're inherently bad albums or that you should be ashamed, I still blast Bon Jovi from time to time even though it's not exactly a pinnacle of music lol. Anyway here's to hoping that you find a new favourite or two down the road.
Also what's your opinion on Melissa vs Don't Break The Oath vs Abigail? That's always an interesting debate. _________________ Overall chart Fake overall chart
But also I do love 'em AS albums but maybe I don't speak up about them because idk maybe I'm a little embarrassed or maybe because I don't have enough faith in my convictions to mention them on conversations with people who love metal or heavy music.
Anyway, if over the next few months I discover even 1 or 2 more albums that can be added to that rarefied list I'd be happy. Very happy. Those 16 are so deeply ingrained in me I doubt any album will show up and become quite as deeply loved. We shall see.
I get that, I had the same experience with lots of albums. I think most people have. Doesn't mean they're inherently bad albums or that you should be ashamed, I still blast Bon Jovi from time to time even though it's not exactly a pinnacle of music lol. Anyway here's to hoping that you find a new favourite or two down the road.
Also what's your opinion on Melissa vs Don't Break The Oath vs Abigail? That's always an interesting debate.
yep, I'm sure we do all have those types of albums in our lives.
I went and listened to Far Beyond Driven again yesterday and I loved it still. I also re-listened to Down's debut NOLA and yeah that is on another level. I really think NOLA is one of the greatest metal albums ever and Its overall chart worthy for me personally. I adore it. What are your thoughts on Down's debut? Just curious.
Oh and regarding the great debate if Melissa vs Donโt Break The Oath vs Abigail, I canโt say yet. Havenโt heard Melissa in a hot minute and have no recollection at all of it. Nor have I heard AT ALL Abigail as far as I recall. Will be delving into em soon considering how much I dug DBTO. _________________ -Ryan
But also I do love 'em AS albums but maybe I don't speak up about them because idk maybe I'm a little embarrassed or maybe because I don't have enough faith in my convictions to mention them on conversations with people who love metal or heavy music.
Anyway, if over the next few months I discover even 1 or 2 more albums that can be added to that rarefied list I'd be happy. Very happy. Those 16 are so deeply ingrained in me I doubt any album will show up and become quite as deeply loved. We shall see.
I get that, I had the same experience with lots of albums. I think most people have. Doesn't mean they're inherently bad albums or that you should be ashamed, I still blast Bon Jovi from time to time even though it's not exactly a pinnacle of music lol. Anyway here's to hoping that you find a new favourite or two down the road.
Also what's your opinion on Melissa vs Don't Break The Oath vs Abigail? That's always an interesting debate.
yep, I'm sure we do all have those types of albums in our lives.
I went and listened to Far Beyond Driven again yesterday and I loved it still. I also re-listened to Down's debut NOLA and yeah that is on another level. I really think NOLA is one of the greatest metal albums ever and Its overall chart worthy for me personally. I adore it. What are your thoughts on Down's debut? Just curious.
NOLA is definitely on my wishlist now. I'm curious because this is another one of those albums which escaped under my radar.
MercuryTurn your back on the pay-you-back last callProfile St. Louis
and its good. Its not Sad Wings, Painkiller or Screaming For Vengeance. I also wouldn't say its quite Stained Class or Sin to Sin. Its a bit better than British steel maybe, just personal enjoyment-wise. But Yeah it is just classic Priest and I liked it. But the whole time I was thinking "why am i listening to this album which despite being a new listen is completely familiar to me and kinda not blowing me away?" I soldiered through (lol sooo dramatic) and right when it ended I put on an album that I hadn't listened to in years or actually maybe 15 years since last listen, and it was awesome. That album was....
Holy shit. I used to think this was a decidedly big step down from the stuff I really loved from that era - such as metallica and slayer and so forth - but this time It clicked with me. When I was young i remember thinking the vocals were so stupid. But I don't understand that opinion anymore. While not being the best vocals ever, they do consistently kick ass here. And the speed! The riffs! The fucking solos! The change ups and the epicness of the album! Holy crap! I think this is way way more precise and fast and brilliant than the 84 Celtic Frost album, and also a good deal better in all those regards than the Celtic Frost 85 album. I think its better than Hell Awaits as well. This may be my new fave thrash or metal of any kind album of 1985. Its stellar. Easily a ๐๐๐๐๐ album through and fuckin through.
Oh and I forgot to say Defenders of the Faith is ๐๐๐ as of now. _________________ -Ryan
But also I do love 'em AS albums but maybe I don't speak up about them because idk maybe I'm a little embarrassed or maybe because I don't have enough faith in my convictions to mention them on conversations with people who love metal or heavy music.
Anyway, if over the next few months I discover even 1 or 2 more albums that can be added to that rarefied list I'd be happy. Very happy. Those 16 are so deeply ingrained in me I doubt any album will show up and become quite as deeply loved. We shall see.
I get that, I had the same experience with lots of albums. I think most people have. Doesn't mean they're inherently bad albums or that you should be ashamed, I still blast Bon Jovi from time to time even though it's not exactly a pinnacle of music lol. Anyway here's to hoping that you find a new favourite or two down the road.
Also what's your opinion on Melissa vs Don't Break The Oath vs Abigail? That's always an interesting debate.
yep, I'm sure we do all have those types of albums in our lives.
I went and listened to Far Beyond Driven again yesterday and I loved it still. I also re-listened to Down's debut NOLA and yeah that is on another level. I really think NOLA is one of the greatest metal albums ever and Its overall chart worthy for me personally. I adore it. What are your thoughts on Down's debut? Just curious.
NOLA is definitely on my wishlist now. I'm curious because this is another one of those albums which escaped under my radar.
Nice! Iโm curious your thoughts whenever you do get around to it. Itโs such a diverse album with sludgey bits that absolutely kill and also some southern metal/ rock parts and thereโs a soulfulness to the whole album that is missing in most other metal albums I think. And yep there is some definite groove metal in there but they are indeed groovy as hell! Down II is also great. _________________ -Ryan
I've heard Nola once years ago, didn't think much of it. I'm not often in stoner metal mood lately, and I'm even less in Pantera mood these days. Of course Down is not that close to Pantera with their sound, might put it in the queue soon for education purposes if nothing else ๐
I have to agree that Far Beyond Driven is absolutely Pantera's most consistent album with some of their best songs ever to boot. _________________ Overall chart Fake overall chart
I've heard Nola once years ago, didn't think much of it. I'm not often in stoner metal mood lately, and I'm even less in Pantera mood these days. Of course Down is not that close to Pantera with their sound, might put it in the queue soon for education purposes if nothing else ๐
I have to agree that Far Beyond Driven is absolutely Pantera's most consistent album with some of their best songs ever to boot.
Yeah I get it. If and when you get back to it let me know what you think (unless its suuuuper negative.)
And yeah Vulgar Display gets most of the attention and its great and has some great solos, but Far beyond driven is way heavier and has way more edge. The Great Southern Trendkill is maybe the heaviest of them and it may have the best individual songs, but its close and FBD is way more consistent. Plus you just can't beat "I'm Broken" lol.
Oh and Cowboys from Hell is okay as well, maybe the most thrash of their peak albums. _________________ -Ryan
Also I listened to the remainder of the 4 classic singer-songwriter albums needed to finish that round of the still-going singer songwriter tournament thing. I'll say a few things about them soon and then post what the next 2 match ups are. We WILL finish this tournament! haha
as for metal, not much listening, but listened to a little of Black Future by Vektor. I wanted to hear some modern metal. It was really good. Didn't finish the album b ut I will at some point.
Also have been listening to some other 2021 albums like the new Weezer, new Lia Ices, Portrayal of Guilt, the new Arlo Parks, some of the new Tribulation, some of the new Madlib, the entirety of the new The Body album, some of the new Anna B. Savage, etc. Lots of listening. _________________ -Ryan
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum