You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 352353354 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote

Lied An Die Freude by Andy Giorbino

For those of you that didn't go check out my new rating system, go check out my diary.


Composition 13/25
Production 15/25
Performance 11/20
Album Pacing/ Organization 7/10
Lyrics 6/10
Originality 8/10

Bonus: Nice album cover +2

Total 62/100 =mediocre

This is a fun and inventive minimal synth album from the height of that genres popularity. It's more guitar-centric than a lot which gets it some originality points. Production is very much of its time and it sounds like it should. Songs are mostly around the 2:30 mark which keeps things moving, but it also doesn't allow for a lot of the songs to grow past one idea. The guitar playing is much more impressive than the synth work, but there's also a lot of other strange stuff going on in the background like breaking glass, mouth sounds, sirens, and what I'm assuming to be sampled movie or tv stuff. It's in German, so I don't know what's being said, but that's fine. The cover is cool; it looks like some dinosaur puppet is reenacting the balcony scene from Romeo and Juliet, and that's a plus in my book. This is kind of where I expect most albums to end up; somewhere in between the totally fine and mediocre category, which is how I feel about most things. Totally fine means that it's fine for one listen, but probably not much more than that. I can see this rating system coming back to bite me in the ass though, because I'll probably end up ranking this inconsequential release higher than something revered and classic, but I guess that's kind of the point, isn't it?

I love Static Age.

AD- Conspiracy
ADN' Ckrystall- Jazz' Mad
Agencement- Agencement
Amber Route- Snail Headed Victrolas
Anima- Stürmischer Himmel
Anna Homler- Dō Ya Sa' Di Dō
Anna Själv Tredje- Tussilago Fanfara
Anthony Davis- Epistēmē
Anton Bruhin- InOut
Apocalypse-Apocalypse


Last edited by Tha1ChiefRocka on 05/31/2021 16:07; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
1.


Static Age by Misfits

This is great. I feel so silly never having heard this. I almost always start with debut albums when it comes to punk classics. I always thought Walk Among Us released in 1982 is their debut. And it is officially. Still, 1982 always threw me off cuz I thought they were a relatively early punk act. I have also spent a lot of time with their 2 very famous collections. And so I recognize many of these songs from them.

Anyway, this is the best album by the Misfits I've heard. Excellent Ramones style pop punk energy mixed wioth Cramps-ish horror and campiness. Its justr a lot of fun. Danzig is such a great rock vocalist. The riffs are so loud and dirty and heavy and simple and batter me in the best way. Some of these songs are the best punks songs ever or some of the best. And one (Last Caress) is one of my, say, top 40-50 favorite songs of all time. Its perfect. But alss tracks like We Are 138, Static Age, TV Casualty, Some Kinda Hate, Return of the Fly, Hybrid Moments, Teenagers from Mars, Angelfuck, Hollywood Babylon, Attitude, Bullet etc etc are all punk rock classics and gems. If this was really their debut, released in 1978 it would be one of the most iconic punk albums of the era. Its just so much more consistent and intense and well done then their 1980s albums (although I do like them just not nearly as much) and man, just a great punk album, through and through.

-------------------------

2.

@Chief, never heard of any of them but some seem interesting. I choose Anton Bruhin- InOut


------------------------

3.

BIG CHANGE!!!! I may come back to this list or all time metal, but for now I am going to leave it and go to all time ranks (including EPs, Mixtapes, Live, and Archival) highest rated albums unheard or really REALLY need to revisit after years or after just never paying much attention to the album. Mostly these will be first listens. I'll put an * next to much needed relistens (or, knowing me, I'll write notes). Also to be honest I am skipping stuff over 2-2 and a half hours or so. Also skipping stuff that I have zero, like none, interest in - maybe add them later.

1. 98.12.28 男達の別れ (98.12.28 Otokotachi no Wakare) by Fishmans/1998/RYM #17 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (heard it once thought it was alright, need to hear again.
2. F♯A♯∞ by Godspeed You! Black Emperor/1998/RYM #46 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (yes I've heard this. Its been forever. Remember the guitar solo and the spoken word poem with the canadian guy and...that's it)
3. Live at Massey Hall 1971 by Neil Young/2007/RYM #57 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (yeah, I'm surprised too. When I took out rated albums, this was there and as I went to rate it I realized I haven't heard this or if I have it was once years ago and I think it deserves some time and attention. Edit: Just found the CD copy. I have heard it, but can't remember much about it.)
4. Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada E.P. by Godspeed You! Black Emperor/1999/RYM #66 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (listened to it years ago and I just never gave it even 1/10th the time I gave their 2000 LP or 1/4th the attention I gave their debut. Need to hear again.)
*5. Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963 by Same Cooke/1963/RYM #153 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (Y'know... I have never heard this. Sam Cooke is great. Should hear it.)
6. Blade Runner by Vangelis/1994/RYM #162 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (Have heard this. Close to a decade ago. When I was listening to a lot of classic kinda ambient stuff. Can't remember a thing about it.)
7. Exmilitary by Death Grips/2011/RYM #182 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (I included mixtapes and voila! This appeared and I realized I've never seen this famous album on a RYM list before because I never ever included mixtapes! Anyway, I have heard this. When it came out. Should revisit.)
*8. Irish Tour '74 by Rory Gallagher/1974/RYM #196 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (I have never heard this famous blues rock album.)
9. Larks' Tongues in Aspic by King Crimson/1973/RYM #199 Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (I've probably heard this album 3-4 times and the first track 10 times, yet never with much attention glued to the music and certainly less than this album and band deserves. Considering my love for other albums released by them in this era, I figure I should really listen and write a comment so its seared in my brain.)
*10. Blues & Roots by Charles Mingus/1960/RYM #266 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (I actually think I've never listened to this. Ooh how exciting for me.)
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
1.


There's No Leaving Now by The Tallest Man On Earth

Mercury, I knew you were going to pick this album as soon as you had the chance. This is the sixth release of his I've heard, and unsurprisingly, it's yet another very good folk album from The Tallest Man On Earth. The use of steel guitar is a major plus. There's No Leaving Now has about four great songs, and the rest are consistently well-made. Matsson's vocals are a bit of an acquired taste that I haven't fully acquired. They sound quite nice in some songs, but iffy in others. I think it boils down to mellow > strained. Those vocal moments, along with lyrics that aren't always top-flight, hold his music back from being among my personal favorites. Instrumentally though, it always hits the spot. 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. This is an amazing live album. The version of Long Season is way better than the studio version imo.


98.12.28 男達の別れ [98.12.28 Otokotachi No Wakare] by フィッシュマンズ [Fishmans]

~~~~~

3. Alphabet Game, Cohort 8 (4 picks left)

Q: Lullabies To Paralyze - Queens Of The Stone Age
R: I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings (EP) - Radiohead
S: So Tough - Saint Etienne
T: Live Versions - Tame Impala
U: The Flesh Of The World (EP) - Uboa
V: Lookaftering - Vashti Bunyan
W: Night Dreamer - Wayne Shorter
Y: Dump YOD: Krutoy Edition - Your Old Droog
Z: Zapp II - Zapp
&: Timeabout, (EP) - 유키카 (YUKIKA)
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Just went from listening to Billie Holliday to the first Cattle Decap track.

Me can haz ogre.

Actually, for the style of singing, I find this one kinda more "believable"?

Although I'm glad I can't really hear the lyrics based on the titles of the tracks. They either would creep me out or make me laugh more for their obvious want to be "scary" but failing.


For context, if you have not researched it, Cattle Decapitation is a Vegan band whose whole purpose is to make music that pertains to the environment and animal abuse/factory farming/climate change.


That does make more sense. It often felt dualistic in not just meaning only that. There's a lot of ways you could be writing about that. Song titles like Dead Set on Suicide, Do Not Resuscitate, and Forced Gender Reassignment, if not queued into the vegan angle also just sound like Rob Zombie like stuff for the fanfare of it, but then also the typical metal "evil" take.

I am genuinely more impressed by the musicality of this band though. Every part of the band is really solid in tone and execution of their art. It doesn't feel like replacement is ever made and even the super fast drumming feels real because of it. Guitar is intentional instead of gratuitous "shredding" for only reason is it's metal. Bass, when isolated, sounds rad. Often the joke with metal bassists is they just drool. Even the vocals are way more intriguing/believable, etc, with dynamics of the style (very well portrayed in Dead Set on Suicide). So if I were into this genre type, I'd likely make this a top 20 album or so.

Even so, I'm not into it by any means, even if it's likely the best of it's kind I've heard in a very long time.

1.

Monolith Of Inhumanity by Cattle Decapitation
See above

2. Lullabies To Paralyze - Queens Of The Stone Age

3. LedZep top 100 of 2010s (Last Pick!)
10. Autumn Bells by Gidge
11. Queen of Time by Amorphis
13. All Bitches Die by Lingua Ignota
21. Everywhere At The End Of Time by The Caretaker
25. Lost by Trentemøller
35. Vanilija by Svemirko
26. Coin Coin Chapter Four: Memphis by Matana Roberts
27. Veronica Falls by Veronica Falls
33. Magdalene by FKA twigs
34. Kill For Love by Chromatics
  • Quote

InOut by Anton Bruhin

See, this is where I'm going to have a hard time with rating things. First off, this is an archival release of four different tapes and pieces of music, so it's not really meant to constitute an album, and it's also batshit insane. I've listened to my fairshare of tape music and it's derivatives, and the title track is up there with the most manic the genre has to offer. The title track is just sensory overload for 23 minutes straight with almost no breaks to even think about what you're listening to. "Wochenwende" is a little bit more palatable, but at the same time not as engaging. "Die Welt" is only 3:40 long and features helium-like vocal meanderings. The other 23 minute track on here was much more structured than the title track, and featured some echoing and repeating woodwinds that were pretty cool to start. (At least I'm pretty sure they're woodwinds) And then more and more and more and more...oh wait, it's all woodwinds until about the 15 minute mark. Some noodling happens here and there, but it's pretty boring. And then it sounds like he's chopping vegetables for a minute. Title track was worth the listen, but the rest was not.

composition- 10
production- 15
performance-7
pacing- 3
lyrics- NA (so more points go to composition and performance)
Originality-8

No Bonus

43/100=mediocre

Kill For Love is very 2012, and I like it for that.

AD- Conspiracy
ADN' Ckrystall- Jazz' Mad
Agencement- Agencement
Amber Route- Snail Headed Victrolas
Anima- Stürmischer Himmel
Anna Homler- Dō Ya Sa' Di Dō
Anna Själv Tredje- Tussilago Fanfara
Anthony Davis- Epistēmē
Apocalypse-Apocalypse
Arbete & Fritid- Arbete & Fritids Andra LP
  • Quote
1.


Lullabies To Paralyze by Queens Of The Stone Age

Lullabies To Paralyze is the fourth Queens Of The Stone Age album I've listened to, all via this game. As usual for them, it's a heavy album, which is good, but I wish more of that heaviness was in service of propulsive bangers. Instead, they wallow a bit much. The songwriting is a mixed bag, as there are some cool songs, but also a bunch of duds. The lyricism is more sexual than on their other works that I've heard, which is not great. They're not among the artists that I want to hear singing about sex. Overall, the guitars carry this and make it a pretty good record, but there are quite a few flaws, and it doesn't hold up to its predecessor Songs For The Deaf. 3/5.

~~~~~

2. Let's go with Anthony Davis in honor of the NBA playoffs (although he just got injured - hope it's not too serious).

~~~~~

3. Alphabet Game, Cohort 8 (3 picks left)

Q: Innocent Country 2 - Quelle Chris & Chris Keys
R: I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings (EP) - Radiohead
S: So Tough - Saint Etienne
T: Live Versions - Tame Impala
U: The Flesh Of The World (EP) - Uboa*
V: Lookaftering - Vashti Bunyan
W: Night Dreamer - Wayne Shorter
Y: Dump YOD: Krutoy Edition - Your Old Droog
Z: Zapp II - Zapp
&: Timeabout, (EP) - 유키카 (YUKIKA)

*Last chance!
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
1.


98.12.28 男達の別れ [98.12.28 Otokotachi No Wakare] by フィッシュマンズ [Fishmans]

This was good, solid, consistently beautiful and dreamy, some really cool dub meets dream pop meets psych stuff. I liked it but long stretches were just okay to me. I understand why they have accumulated such a huge fan club post break up and tragic passing of their lead singer. I think this is music I more admire than actually have interest in listening to. I'm not a big Dub fan or Neo psych fan or dream pop fan either. Vocals were okay but sometimes irked me. The album was long and it sounds like quite the special album to be at or to hear on this album if you are an invested fan. The story behind the creation of this album and the situation revolving around the show itself is super interesting and touching and these facts do give me more context for the extra emotional weight this already solid album has.

Also yes I think the extended Long Season as played here is incredible and my favorite part of the album. Maybe I was looking forward to it TOO much because my anticipation for it made the first 75 minutes fall under its looming shadow. Still "Long Season" is already awesome but add in the extra live energy and that incredible emotional guitar solo, chef's kiss.

I'm glad I heard it. Not really my thing or likely to be on my 1990s chart, but it is still a special document of a special band.

-------------------------

2.

@Baystateoftheart, respect your Tallest Man On Earth write up. Glad you enjoyed it. "Criminals" is one of my fave songs of all time. Anyway, here's your next one...


Lookaftering by Vashti Bunyan

------------------------

3.

Took EPs off and took archival off and am so deluged by Live albums I'm thinking of removing them too and just working through LPs and Mixtapes, while keeping one EP on - an EP longer than most albums - on as well as the Live albums here I will probably keep and as they are nominated I'll fill this list more and more with LPs and Mixtapes.

1. F♯A♯∞ by Godspeed You! Black Emperor/1998/RYM #46 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (yes I've heard this. Its been forever. Remember the guitar solo and the spoken word poem with the canadian guy and...that's it)
2. Live at Massey Hall 1971 by Neil Young/2007/RYM #57 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (yeah, I'm surprised too. When I took out rated albums, this was there and as I went to rate it I realized I haven't heard this or if I have it was once years ago and I think it deserves some time and attention. Edit: Just found the CD copy. I have heard it, but can't remember much about it.)
3. Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada E.P. by Godspeed You! Black Emperor/1999/RYM #66 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (listened to it years ago and I just never gave it even 1/10th the time I gave their 2000 LP or 1/4th the attention I gave their debut. Need to hear again.)
*4. Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963 by Same Cooke/1963/RYM #153 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (Y'know... I have never heard this. Sam Cooke is great. Should hear it.)
5. Blade Runner by Vangelis/1994/RYM #162 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (Have heard this. Close to a decade ago. When I was listening to a lot of classic kinda ambient stuff. Can't remember a thing about it.)
6. Exmilitary by Death Grips/2011/RYM #182 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (I included mixtapes and voila! This appeared and I realized I've never seen this famous album on a RYM list before because I never ever included mixtapes! Anyway, I have heard this. When it came out. Should revisit.)
*7. Irish Tour '74 by Rory Gallagher/1974/RYM #196 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (I have never heard this famous blues rock album.)
8. Larks' Tongues in Aspic by King Crimson/1973/RYM #199 Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (I've probably heard this album 3-4 times and the first track 10 times, yet never with much attention glued to the music and certainly less than this album and band deserves. Considering my love for other albums released by them in this era, I figure I should really listen and write a comment so its seared in my brain.)
*9. Blues & Roots by Charles Mingus/1960/RYM #266 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (I actually think I've never listened to this. Ooh how exciting for me.)
10. Powerslave by Iron Maiden/1984/RYM #280 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (I don't think I've ever finished listening to this. If I have, I don't remember. One of the all time great metal records yet Maiden has always been something I don't love or even usually like))
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
1.

Kill For Love by Chromatics
Into the Black nearly had me think Niel Young was singing for a few split seconds. Then the album took a quick turn somewhere else. Somewhere I was like meh at best with.

2. Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963 by Same Cooke

3. Top 100 albums by Craola
1. The Return Of The 5000 Lb. Man by Rahsaan Roland Kirk
2. Afro-Harping by Dorothy Ashby
3. Love And Devotion by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
4. New Heroin by A Neon Rome
5. Baabel by Leïla Martial
6. Mingus Moves by Charles Mingus
7. Nina Simone And Her Friends by Nina Simone
8. The Exotica Album by Øyvind Torvund
9. Junjo by Esperanza Spalding
10. Circles by Anne Paceo
  • Quote

The Wild Hunt by The Tallest Man On Earth

Even though I've heard some The Tallest Man On Earth before and knew what to expect I still found those vocals instantly jarring at the very start of the first song, but only for a minute or so as my music ears remember and adjust. In fact the vocals are the strongest point for me. I like distinctive voices and dig his vocal stylings. The music is the weak point. It's not that it's bad at all, in fact it's quite good, but when it comes to contemporary folk acoustic guitar it's just not very different or interesting, so I need the lyrics to stand out. And here the lyrics don't do a lot for me either....until the last two songs. That's where I became interested in the lyrics. Especially so in the last song, which combined with the unexpected change to a piano backing, and in my opinion the most passionate singing on the album, made the closer the best song on the album for me. So a solid good consistent set of songs, no real highlights apart from Kids On The Run, but not a bad song to be found. Love the album art though. I give it a light 7.5/10, and it comes in at 47/90 in my 2000 chart.




I haven't heard any of these RTB, so I'm going with the one I would like to hear the most - New Heroin by A Neon Rome


New Heroin by A Neon Rome




BEA Best Albums of 2010 (3 picks left)

7. Plastic Beach by Gorillaz
15. Congratulations by MGMT
18. Total Life Forever by Foals
20. Body Talk by Robyn
21. Tourist History by Two Door Cinema Club
22. Crystal Castles (II) by Crystal Castles
25. Swim by Caribou
26. How I Got Over by The Roots
29. Heligoland by Massive Attack
30. Clinging To A Scheme by The Radio Dept.

(I have heard of couple of these once in my pre-ranking days)
  • Quote
(1)

Thanks, Sorry! by Jeff Rosenstock
Taking a step back, I listened to Worry. and Post- since I realized I had never heard Jeff Rosenstock before. I quite liked both, surprised these flew under the radar for me. Reminds me a lot of Titus Andronicus (who I love). This album is a great live set featuring most of the tracks from Worry. and Post- and a few from earlier albums. My personal favorite off the studio albums is "HELLLLHOOOOLE" and I think that was solid live. But the highlight of the live album is really Rosenstock's crowd banter. The whole live set is almost like a mix of Titus Andronicus and Andrew W.K.
4/5

(2)
Purplepash, listen to:

Body Talk by Robyn
It's way more than just "Dancing on My Own", the whole album is great.

(3)
RYM's top albums of all time (minus archival releases)
- Swans Are Dead by Swans (live)
- Sun Bear Concerts Piano Solo: Recorded in Japan by Keith Jarrett (live)
- Irish Tour '74 by Rory Gallagher (live)
- Silent Hill 2 by Akira Yamaoka (soundtrack)
- Colors_Live by Between the Buried and Me (live)
- Rétrospective Vol. 1 & 2 by Magma (live)
- Coltrane "Live" at the Village Vanguard by John Coltrane (live)
- At the Mountains of Madness by Electric Masada (live)
- Symphony No. 9 [Beethoven] by Berliner Philharmoniker & Herbert von Karajan (interestingly, I've heard the 1977 Berlin Philharmonic/Karajan recording of Beethoven's 9th, but the entry at RYM appears to refer to the 1963 recording)
- Live by Magma (live)
_________________
51 Washington, D.C. albums!

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 352353354 ... 444445446  Next
Page 353 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.