You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 395396397 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
(1)

Talk Memory by BADBADNOTGOOD
So, a second BBNG album (and a bunch of songs) later, I still like their sound, but am not THAT impressed with the songs. I do prefer it when they stick to jazz (especially the more organic fusion stuff), as opposed to doing hip hop beats or messing with loads of electronics. Which is interesting, since I usually like the experimentation in modern jazz, but not with BBNG obviously. All of that makes this my favourite BBNG style, and most of the album is really cool. The opening track Signal from the Noise was good, City of Mirrors is a wonderful orchestral piece with a playful piano. Besides April was a good one too, but Love Proceeding was my favourite of the whole album. Lush, rich, orchestral jazz rock and jazz fusion piece with a fantastic buildup. Probably the best song by the band overall. Enjoyed it a lot, but wish I did even more. 7.5/10

(2)
Haven't heard that Jeromes Dream/Orchid split but it's going straight to my (and your) queue ๐Ÿ˜

(3)
2021

JPEGMAFIA - LP!
Lil Ugly Mane - Volcanic Bird Enemy and the Voiced Concern
ะ ะพะถัŒ [Rozh] - ะ’ะตั‡ะฝะพะต
Lorde - Solar Power
Wolves in the Throne Room - Primordial Arcana
Marissa Nadler - The Path of the Clouds
Courtney Barnett - Things Take Time, Take Time
Blanck Mass - In Ferneaux
Portico Quartet - Monument
Converge & Chelsea Wolfe - Bloodmoon: I
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
due to a total fuck up by me, my damn "review" of jeromes dream/orchid EP is lost to time. also I recommended Bloodmoon I to ledzep. apologies
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!


Last edited by Mercury on 11/27/2021 01:56; edited 2 times in total
  • Quote
1.


Scott by Scott Walker

Scott Walker's debut solo album is known for its Jacques Brel influence, which I can detect, but it's far from a hollow imitation. The song selection, evocative vocals, and swelling strings all maximize the melodrama, bringing the music to thrilling heights. Walker may be the second-most melodramatic artist of the 60s I've heard after The Shangri-Las, who are a personal favorite group. The arrangements on Scott are gorgeous throughout. Not every track is a winner, but the vast majority are strong. Along with Scott 4, this is a great record. Now I'm looking forward to hearing Scotts 2 and 3. 4/5.

~~~~~

2. Haven't heard any of those, but this is on my to-do list:


Black Dots by Bad Brains

~~~~~

3. Pop Genre Grab Bag: Brill Building

4. Make Way For Dionne Warwick - Dionne Warwick
5. Burt Bacharach Plays His Hits - Burt Bacharach
8. Maintenant - Gigi
9. Lesley Gore Sings Of Mixed-Up Hearts - Lesley Gore
10. Presenting Dion And The Belmonts - Dion And The Belmonts
11. The Windows Of The World - Dionne Warwick
13. Anyone Who Had A Heart - Dionne Warwick
14. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' - The Righteous Brothers
16. I Will Follow Him - Peggy March
17. Just Once In My Life - The Righteous Brothers
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
(1)

Bloodmoon: I by Convergeย &ย Chelsea Wolfe
You're absolutely right Merc, this is excellent. And if that "failing music website" is Pitchfork, it's no wonder the review sucks cause their writers often have next to no idea about current metal trends (or metal in general). So, we've been spoiled by 3 mega "goth girl + metal band" collabs in the last few years. Emma Ruth Rundle had a collab with Thou, A. A. Williams did songs with Cult of Luna and Russian Circles, and now this. I'm sure there are more similar collabs, but these 3 stand out as I'm a fan of all 3 of these ladies and a moderate to big fan of all metal bands involved. That being said, Converge and Chelsea Wolfe have produced by far my favourite album of those mentioned. The chemistry is unbelievable, the fit seamless and I really like the style they've adopted: it doesn't feel too far from what either is doing on their own. The opener is absolutely fantastic, but honestly there weren't many moments where I wasn't enjoying the music. I'll give it another more thorough listen tomorrow, but for now it's easy top 40 of the year. 8/10

(2)
Haven't heard any of those, but the only song I've heard from Dionne Warwick is absolute hot garbage. Let's hope that Make Way For Dionne Warwick is better than her material in the 80s.

(3)
2021

JPEGMAFIA - LP!
Lil Ugly Mane - Volcanic Bird Enemy and the Voiced Concern
ะ ะพะถัŒ [Rozh] - ะ’ะตั‡ะฝะพะต
Lorde - Solar Power
Wolves in the Throne Room - Primordial Arcana
Marissa Nadler - The Path of the Clouds
Courtney Barnett - Things Take Time, Take Time
Blanck Mass - In Ferneaux
Portico Quartet - Monument
Adele - 30
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
LedZep wrote:
Haven't heard any of those, but the only song I've heard from Dionne Warwick is absolute hot garbage. Let's hope that Make Way For Dionne Warwick is better than her material in the 80s.


It sounds like you had the worst possible entry point into her discography. She's a legend with a lot of classics, and this compilation capturing her career from 1962-70 is a great listen:


The Dionne Warwick Collection: Her All-Time Greatest Hits by Dionne Warwick

I haven't heard any of her albums before, so your pick should be interesting.
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
1.


Black Dots by Bad Brains

Well this was a delight to hear. I consider Bad Brains debut to be the greatest hardcore punk LP ever. Only major competition I've heard are Group Sex by Circle Jerks and some days I put DKs' debut or Damaged by Black Flag. But really if you want to hear the best LP released AS an LP (Minor Threat Complete Discog is REALLY the only other thing I put in Bad Brains or Group Sex tier) then look no further than that delicious yellow covered classic from 1982. That being said, hearing many of those songs contained on their debut on this rougher and less fleshed out demo form was awesome. In many ways and on many songs this feels even more like how you should hear it, raw and rabid and impossibly fast. Also, while I like the Reggae tracks on the debut well enough, they are a bit shallow and unfocused in my opinion as played on the debut, and here there is nothing like that. It's just straight up 1979 (super super early and very mindblowing due to how early this was recorded) hardcore punk played at speeds that wouldn't be challenged for 5 or 6 years by the thrash/speed metal kids.

Sadly this isn't on streaming services and not even a full album upload on youtube, so quite ironically while listening to this I was interrupted every 3 minutes by some ridculous ad. For a Hardcore or Grind album this is particularly troublesome because the songs are so short. Anywho... it is now a mission of mine to get a hard copy (vinyl or CD or even Tape would be cute) version of this.

-------------------------

@LedZep, 'tis me again... 3 in a row... now finally I can pick for you this album:


LP! by JPEGMAFIA
------------------------

3.

Let's focus on a few genres. As you can see with my most recent update of my chart(s), I have been re-acquainted majorly with my punk/hardcore roots. And that is still the case the morning after. I am going to look for albums of interest within Death Metal, Grindcore, Powerviolence, Hardcore Punk, Crust Punk, D-Beat, Screamo, Sludge Metal, and other genres that are part of the punk/hardcore punk tradition in one way or another. Here are 10.

1. I Don't Care Where I Go When I Die by Gaza/2006 (I have heard their 2012 album No Absolutes... and its sick. Need to revisit it and was gonna put it hear but then I saw that their debut perhaps is where I should go next. Its Mathcore with elements of sludge and noise and its all quite angry and pissed and that is cool.)

2. Sonic Excess In Its Purest Form by Crowbar/2001 (Been meaning to listen to this closely for, LITERALLY, 18 years! I remember the first time hearing NOLA by Down - which is great and you are wrong eyekanfly lol - and seeing that one or 2 of the members of that supergroup were members of Crowbar and I thought "I should check that out"... never did. Its really thick, heavy, nasty SLUDGE as far as I understand. Looking forward to this one.)

3. Sadness Will Prevail by Today is the Day/2002 (Up there with any swans album in terms of darkness and oppressive hopeless atmosphere. This is a massive 2 hour and 15 mi ute mix of sludge/noise rock/avant garde metal and found sounds and like all kinds of stuff stuffed together into a daunting listen. I started this a bit back and tbh it kind of unsettled me despite checking a ridiculous amount of boxes in what I am into musically lately. Before picking this, Pray for me.)

4. Dopesick by Eyehategod (One of the more acclaimed pure, disgusting sludge albums that I have never heard. )

5. Monuments to Thieves by His Hero Is Gone/1996 (crust punk from a memphis band that lasted 4 years and was gone. Super alluring stuff.)

6. The Faith/Void Split LP by The Faith and Void/1982 (Old school ultra intense hardcore)

7. Magrudergrind by Magrudergrind/2009 (Heard this Powerviolence and Grindcore insanity a bit back, forget what I thought of it. I present it now as an option.)

8. 01010101 by Portraits of Past/1996 (90s screamo. interesting.)

9. A Blaze In The Northern Sky by Darkthrone/1992 (Keeping this super classic black metal album here, as I am told by things that maybe there is some death metal elements buried in there as well.)

10. At Action Park by Shellac/1994 (A classic 90s post hardcore release that I have been meaning to play for a decade or close to. When I was updating my 90s chart yesterday I saw this and instantly remembered how much I've wanted to give this a spin. So here it is as an option.) Doesn't fit any categories previously mentioned except its post hardcore so that will do. very intrigued.)
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
baystateoftheart wrote:

The Dionne Warwick Collection: Her All-Time Greatest Hits by Dionne Warwick

I haven't heard any of her albums before, so your pick should be interesting.

Yeah, I knew she was pretty respected among the 60s pop lovers, that's why "That's What Friends Are For" with Elton John, Gladys Knight and Stevie Wonder was a huge disappointment. Glad you've nominated it in the other game, looks good ๐Ÿ˜„

(1)

LP! by JPEGMAFIA
I've listened to both the "online" and "offline" versions back to back, I know most people loved the offline one much more. It seemed pretty similar in quality, there's only several songs which are different and the offline version doesn't have Bald, which is a great song. It does have more songs though, all of which are bangers. Overall may be the most chill thing that Peggy has released in some time (although I haven't heard all of his recent EPs), while still being glitchy, weird and unique. The best songs don't rival those on Veteran, but I might prefer the tracklist as a whole to his JPEGMAFIA debut. No weak points, never fails to keep me on the edge of my seat. A lot of the cuts even sound pleasant. WHAT KIND OF RAPPINโ€™ IS THIS? is probably the catchiest song on the album with its earworm of a closing chorus. Some tracks have genuinely beautiful instrumentals, THOTโ€™S PRAYER! sounds like a dream pop tune given JPEGMAFIA treatment until the trap triplets kick in. DAM! DAM! DAM! intro reminds me of 70s progressive electronic masters and DIKEMBE!, apart from a shoutout to the underrated Mutombo, samples Stan Getz' Saudade Vem Correndo. The highlights, for now at least, are REBOUND with its triumphant synths, and an excellent cut with Tkay Maidza, THE GHOST OF RANKING DREAD! The beat switch is absolutely killer, as is the shoutout to Dread. Also, Peggy goes hard on this one when talking about Billy Woods (for some reason they're beefing, haven't been keeping up with that though):

Attack of the Clones when these n*ggas be spittin'
Off-beat shit ain't gon' make you a livin'
Teach you somethin' since you think that I'm kiddin'
Woke, third-eye rappin' ass n*ggas
NOI flows, with pork for an image
Woah, call up the minister, something just ain't addin' up
But lions and leopards ain't meant to be jiggy


Very good all around, might even dethrone Veteran after another listen or two. 8/10

(2)
Darkthrone's classic next

(3)
2021

Lil Ugly Mane - Volcanic Bird Enemy and the Voiced Concern
ะ ะพะถัŒ [Rozh] - ะ’ะตั‡ะฝะพะต
Lorde - Solar Power
Wolves in the Throne Room - Primordial Arcana
Marissa Nadler - The Path of the Clouds
Courtney Barnett - Things Take Time, Take Time
Blanck Mass - In Ferneaux
Portico Quartet - Monument
Adele - 30
Carcass - Torn Arteries
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
1.


Make Way For Dionne Warwick by Dionne Warwick

I already knew four of these songs from the aforementioned compilation and they're great, especially the all-time classic Walk On By. It's good to hear that the other eight are not far behind in terms of quality. Nine of twelve tracks are Bacharach compositions, and it certainly helps that Warwick was the go-to singer for the peak years of one of the greatest pop songwriters of all time. Of course, she was for good reason, as she has tremendous vocal ability and interpretive powers. Warwick nails both tenderness and melodrama, backed by very strong production throughout. Get Rid Of Him is fairly disposable, but otherwise this album is very consistent. 4/5.

~~~~~

2. Let's take it from the top:


Volcanic Bird Enemy And The Voiced Concern by Lil Ugly Mane

~~~~~

3. Pop Genre Grab Bag: Bubblegum

3. Tan Simple Como El Amor - La Casa Azul
5. Son Of My Father - Giorgio
7. Paint America Love - Lou Christie
9. Ohio Express - Ohio Express
12. Id Music - The Third Rail
15. We're The Banana Splits - The Banana Splits
21. Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus - Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus
24. If Music Be The Food Of Love... Prepare For Indigestion - Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich
25. The Partridge Family Sound Magazine - The Partridge Family
27. I Wonder What She's Doing Tonite? - Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
1.


A Blaze In The Northern Sky by Darkthrone

Classic album indeed. Great and somewhat iconic album cover. The debut by one of the greatest bands in metal and certainly black metal history. GFrom what I understand this was an influential album in black metal, helping to usher in a new era for the genre and looking at the date and looking at the major releases before and after this release date, I can visualize this being a massively influential album indeed. I am not super familiar with so called first wave black metal, having only heard the bathory albums and that great 1989 Anno Domini album as far as I can recall. Still, this does seem to take what especially Anno Domini did and perfect it and make it uglier and eviler and more gnarly.

When first I saw this was chosen I was a bit hesitant. As with any album so famous and "Important" I was worried I was just going to be listening for educational purposes, which is generally annoying to me. But after a couple false starts with me being interrupted mid first classic 10 minute track, I finally listened to this through in one sitting. And as it went along I did notice that I was sinking more and more into its world. At first I will admit I felt at arm's length and was a bit irked by the straight up black metal mayhem going on. But by the end of that epic first track I think I was bought in. This album has more texture and detail than I was giving it credit for from my one listen a long while back. I thought it was one-note before, but no now I am hearing the riffs, all ugly and crusty and lo fi, slow down and speed up and get chunky one minute and have this ascending victorious vibe the next, its great. The drumming is classic BM - sound terrible but in the best way, and the constant blast beats become almost soothing after awhile. The vocals are either the most typical black metal vocals ever or perhaps they just were influential to so many after that I only now think they are typical because they were copied. They certainly sound evil and at times pained. The big gnarly walls of sound that the musicians create are certainly impressive.

Certainly one of the better BM albums I've heard. I have noticed, at least as of now, that I have a definite preference for other forms of extreme metal. No album has come and changed fully my perspective on this strange genre. If I were to have a line up of all the most major sub genres of metal and there was an equally acclaimed album presented for each I would probably pick em in this order: Grindcore/Deathgrind>Sludge/Atmo Sludge>Death Metal/Technical Death>Thrash/Speed metal>Black metal/ atmo BM>Doom Metal ... and I am tired of wracking my brain for others. But yeah, BM isn't the least interesting but decidedly lower in terms of hit rate than those other genres ahead. Dead As Dreams, Exercises In Futility, Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk, Filosofem, Bergtatt, have been the main albums in the genre to blow my mind. This debut Darkthrone has not ascended there yet, but its damn fine.

Okay I have rambled on long enough. This was excellent and informative. and EEEEEvIIIIIIIlllll

-------------------------
@Baystateoftheart, I've not heard any of those but seem like interesting releases. I will simply choose the first one:


Tan Simple Como El Amor by La Casa Azul

------------------------

3.

Let's focus on a few genres. As you can see with my most recent update of my chart(s), I have been re-acquainted majorly with my punk/hardcore roots. And that is still the case the morning after. I am going to look for albums of interest within Death Metal, Grindcore, Powerviolence, Hardcore Punk, Crust Punk, D-Beat, Screamo, Sludge Metal, and other genres that are part of the punk/hardcore punk tradition in one way or another. Here are 10.

1. Living In Darkness by Agent Orange/1981 (One of those classic hardcore punk albums I always wanted to hear but kinda forgot about when young and haven't gotten to since rediscovering/remembering its existence.)

2. Sonic Excess In Its Purest Form by Crowbar/2001 (Been meaning to listen to this closely for, LITERALLY, 18 years! I remember the first time hearing NOLA by Down and seeing that 1 or 2 of the members of that supergroup were members of Crowbar and I thought "I should check that out"... never did. Its really thick, heavy, nasty SLUDGE as far as I understand. Looking forward to this one.)

3. Sadness Will Prevail by Today is the Day/2002 (Up there with any swans album in terms of darkness and oppressive hopeless atmosphere. This is a massive 2 hour and 15 mi ute mix of sludge/noise rock/avant garde metal and found sounds and like all kinds of stuff stuffed together into a daunting listen. I started this a bit back and tbh it kind of unsettled me despite checking a ridiculous amount of boxes in what I am into musically lately. Before picking this, Pray for me.)

4. Dopesick by Eyehategod (One of the more acclaimed pure, disgusting sludge albums that I have never heard. )

5. Monuments to Thieves by His Hero Is Gone/1996 (crust punk from a memphis band that lasted 4 years and was gone. Super alluring stuff.)

6. The Faith/Void Split LP by The Faith and Void/1982 (Old school ultra intense hardcore)

7. Magrudergrind by Magrudergrind/2009 (Heard this Powerviolence and Grindcore insanity a bit back, forget what I thought of it. I present it now as an option.)

8. 01010101 by Portraits of Past/1996 (90s screamo. interesting.)

9. Death Church by Rudimentary Peni/1983 (Old school anarcho-Hardcore punk album. Sounds cool.)

10. At Action Park by Shellac/1994 (A classic 90s post hardcore release that I have been meaning to play for a decade or close to. When I was updating my 90s chart yesterday I saw this and instantly remembered how much I've wanted to give this a spin. So here it is as an option.) Doesn't fit any categories previously mentioned except its post hardcore so that will do. very intrigued.)
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote

Mahler: Das Lied Von Der Erde by Otto K...on Dermota

I found what I think is a 1951 version of this. A symphony for two vocalists and an orchestra, this was a bit out of my league. It was dramatic and emotional but without knowing
and understanding it, there was no drama or emotion for me. Just background music that was a nice listen.




I haven't heard this yet but want to. At Action Park by Shellac.


At Action Park by Shellac




Time to spend some time in 1971 now. 1971 is already probably my favourite year of the decade, and there are still some mouth-watering by reputation albums I haven't heard yet on the BEA year chart.

BEA Best Albums of 1971 (5 picks left)

14. Aqualung by Jethro Tull
15. Electric Warrior by T. Rex
18. At Fillmore East by The Allman Brothers Band
19. There's A Riot Goin' On by Sly & The Family Stone
20. Maggot Brain by Funkadelic
21. Songs Of Love And Hate by Leonard Cohen
22. The Yes Album by Yes
23. Histoire De Melody Nelson by Serge Gainsbourg
24. Pearl by Janis Joplin
25. Nursery Cryme by Genesis

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 395396397 ... 444445446  Next
Page 396 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.