Rank 'Em: The Beach Boys

Goto page Previous  123 ... 110111112 ... 174175176  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Recs! RecS Recs! Recs! GiMMe YOUR 1981 Recs!!!

Ok. Christmas is ovah'. Kick that tree to the curb (PRO TIP: b careful to NOT scratch your tv! tThose branches get dry and SHARP!), because it's time to get ready for another year in building my 1980s Chart. As you may recall, I was neck deep in 1980 b4 Riot Fest & Pitchfork intruded on the proceedings. Instead of going back to 1980 though, I need to move forward. Time waits for no chart!

So just like last time, give me your recs! Any genre! If it gets the REPO FIVE SKULLS seal of approval it's in.

ps: I'll also b working on a punk genre chart for 1985 in the background. So get ready for that as well in the coming months!


I'll place all the recs here... for safekeeping! And rate them as I get to them. Happy Holidays, everyone! ๐Ÿ˜

=============================================================================

BayState
Beauty And The Beat - Go-Go's
Songs Of Pain - Daniel Johnston
Heaven Up Here - Echo And The Bunnymen
Reflections - Gil Scott-Heron
Pleasure - Girls At Our Best!
Computer World - Kraftwerk
Never Too Much - Luther Vandross
Glide - Peter Davison
Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out The Trash - The Replacements
Northwest Passage - Stan Rogers

Dihanssee
Juju by Siouxsie
Youth Of America by the Wipers
TC Matic by TC Matic: I know it's not the first time I try to plug this one.
Bastogne by Red Zebra: a mini-album by a great coldwave band with a huge live reputation in Belgium
African Queen by Allez Allez: very danceable and rhythmic rock with African roots: just start with the title track
Red Skies Over Paradise by Fischer-Z
October by U2
Faith by The Cure
Talk Talk Talk by The Psychedelic Furs
My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts by Brian ...avid Byrne

Led Zep
Agent Orange - Living In Darkness
Japan - tin Drum
Tuxedo Moon - desire
Scientist - space invaders
scientist - vampires
luzmila carpio - sumaj llajta

kokkinnos
The Lounge Lizards - s/t
Hannibal - The Angels of Atlanta
James Blood Ulmer - Freelancing
Penguin Cafe Orchestra - s/t
Takeo Moriyama - smile
Egberto Gismonti - Sanfona
OMD - Architecture & Morality ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
Robyn Hitchcock - Black Snake Diamond Role

PurplePash
Dead Kennedys - In God We Trust
The Birthday Party - Prayers On Fire
Joy Division - Still
Glen Branca - The Ascension
Phew - Phew
Television Personalities - ...And Don't the Kids Just Love It

Mercury
PIL - Flowers Of Romance
Rickie Lee Jones - Pirates
Pat Metheny & Lyle - As Falls Wichita
Pete Shelley - Homsapien
The Gun Club -


Last edited by Repo on 01/11/2022 16:48; edited 5 times in total
  • Quote
Happy holidays! Here are some of my favorites so far.

Amazing:

Beauty And The Beat - Go-Go's

Great:

Songs Of Pain - Daniel Johnston
Heaven Up Here - Echo And The Bunnymen
Reflections - Gil Scott-Heron
Pleasure - Girls At Our Best!
Computer World - Kraftwerk
Never Too Much - Luther Vandross
Glide - Peter Davison
Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out The Trash - The Replacements
Northwest Passage - Stan Rogers
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
Repo wrote:
Recs! RecS Recs! Recs! GiMMe YOUR 1981 Recs!!!

Ok. Christmas is ovah'. Kick that tree to the curb (PRO TIP: b careful to NOT scratch your tv! tThose branches get dry and SHARP!), because it's time to get ready for another year in building my 1980s Chart. As you may recall, I was neck deep in 1980 b4 Riot Fest & Pitchfork intruded on the proceedings. Instead of going back to 1980 though, I need to move forward. Time waits for no chart!

So just like last time, give me your recs! Any genre! If it gets the REPO FIVE SKULLS seal of approval it's in.

ps: I'll also b working on a punk genre chart for 1985 in the background. So get ready for that as well in the coming months!


I'll place all the recs here... for safekeeping! And rate them as I get to them. Happy Holidays, everyone! :D

For me there's two albums that are inescapable:
- Juju by Siouxsie (just listen to Spellbound and Arabian Knights to be convinced
- Youth Of America by the Wipers

And for one reason or another I have many Belgian albums that I'm desparate to share of which I would mainly advise:
TC Matic by TC Matic: I know it's not the first time I try to plug this one.
Bastogne by Red Zebra: a mini-album by a great coldwave band with a huge live reputation in Belgium
African Queen by Allez Allez: very danceable and rhythmic rock with African roots: just start with the title track

And then some other guilty and not so guilty pleasures:
Red Skies Over Paradise by Fischer-Z
October by U2
Faith by The Cure
Talk Talk Talk by The Psychedelic Furs
My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts by Brian Eno & David Byrne

But of course there's much to appreciate on the metal front with fine albums by Iron Maiden (Killers), Saxon (Denim And Leather), Accept (Breaker), Holocaust (The Nightcomers) and Riot (Fire Down Under) but of course you already know that. And this is not all because also AC/DC, Venom, Ozzy and Sabbath, Rainbow and the Tygers of Pan Tang released some fine albums.
  • Quote
Awesome recs, Baystate & dihansse!!! I'll start digging in!

Quote:
But of course there's much to appreciate on the metal front with fine albums by Iron Maiden (Killers), Saxon (Denim And Leather), Accept (Breaker), Holocaust (The Nightcomers) and Riot (Fire Down Under) but of course you already know that. And this is not all because also AC/DC, Venom, Ozzy and Sabbath, Rainbow and the Tygers of Pan Tang released some fine albums.


Totally! 1981 Was a GREAT year for metal! What would your top five albums (in order) be?! Would love to see others too. (My 1981 Metal rankings are just a few pages back.)
  • Quote
Repo wrote:
Awesome recs, Baystate & dihansse!!! I'll start digging in!

Quote:
But of course there's much to appreciate on the metal front with fine albums by Iron Maiden (Killers), Saxon (Denim And Leather), Accept (Breaker), Holocaust (The Nightcomers) and Riot (Fire Down Under) but of course you already know that. And this is not all because also AC/DC, Venom, Ozzy and Sabbath, Rainbow and the Tygers of Pan Tang released some fine albums.


Totally! 1981 Was a GREAT year for metal! What would your top five albums (in order) be?! Would love to see others too. (My 1981 Metal rankings are just a few pages back.)

I put them in order (at least the top 5) so we agree about Killers but as you may already know Iโ€™m not a big fan of Def Leppard while I miss Denim and Leather in your top 13.
  • Quote
Some which haven't been mentioned:


Living In Darkness by Agent Orange


Tin Drum by Japan


Desire by Tuxedomoon


Scientist Meets The Space Invaders by Scientist
or

Scientist Rids The World Of The Evil Curse Of The Vampires by Scientist


Sumaj Llajta by Luzmila Carpio

And of course Youth of America, Juju, Discipline, Fire Of Love and Deceit

Edit: Also Moving Pictures and Faith, ofc. The Cramps are always worth a listen too, even though Psychedelic Jungle isn't exactly their best (I am a normie who prefers their comps ๐Ÿ˜ )
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
dihansse wrote:
Repo wrote:
Awesome recs, Baystate & dihansse!!! I'll start digging in!

Quote:
But of course there's much to appreciate on the metal front with fine albums by Iron Maiden (Killers), Saxon (Denim And Leather), Accept (Breaker), Holocaust (The Nightcomers) and Riot (Fire Down Under) but of course you already know that. And this is not all because also AC/DC, Venom, Ozzy and Sabbath, Rainbow and the Tygers of Pan Tang released some fine albums.


Totally! 1981 Was a GREAT year for metal! What would your top five albums (in order) be?! Would love to see others too. (My 1981 Metal rankings are just a few pages back.)


I put them in order (at least the top 5) so we agree about Killers but as you may already know Iโ€™m not a big fan of Def Leppard while I miss Denim and Leather in your top 13.



Denim And Leather by Saxon

For me, Saxon was moving in the wrong direction in 1981 after their 1980 breakout with both Wheels Of Steel and Strong Arm Of the Law . The songwriting wasn't quite as good resulting in a few generic rockers ("Play It Loud" & "Rough & Ready" being the most obvious examples). But probably most importantly, while other bands like Accept and Riot were pushing metal in a faster and rawer direction, Saxon decided to go in a more melodic direction which really didn't lend itself to their strengths.

Denim & Leather is good but, but it was already clear that Saxon was no longer at the front of the pack. I would put it in the same 1981 tier as ...,

Y&T - Earthsaker
Tygers of Pan Tang - Spellbound
Tygers of Pan Tang - Crazy Nights
Michael Schenker Group - MSG
Anvil - Hard n' Heavy
Picture - Heavy Metal Ears

All really good albums that would place just below my top 13. I kind of feel that that top 13 I listed earlier are all pretty special! ๐Ÿ˜
  • Quote
The main musical trends of the time are not exactly my cup of tea. As a result, 1981 is one of my least explored years. That being said, hereโ€™s a few albums I quite like โ€“ roughly in order, though it has to be said that itโ€™s been ages since I listened to some of those. (Apologies if any of them has already been mentioned.)


The Lounge Lizards - Lounge Lizards


Hannibal (US) - The Angels Of Atlanta


James Blood Ulmer - Free Lancing


Penguin Cafe Orchestra - Penguin Cafe Orchestra


Takeo Moriyama - Smile


Egberto Gismonti - Sanfona

Other great choices would be Architecture & Morality or Black Snake Dรฎamond Rรถle, but I see these two have already made your chart.
_________________
Bob Dylan
Charles Mingus
  • Quote
kokkinos wrote:


Other great choices would be Architecture & Morality or Black Snake Dรฎamond Rรถle, but I see these two have already made your chart.


VERY intriguing recs, guys!!! I added pretty much all of them to the OP. Reviewed Architecture & Morality a couple of months back, but will repaste it here...

'81:2 Heโ€™s Leaving. He waited for so long.


Architecture & Morality by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark


Every day a new start, and she prefers the sudden truth
We'll never learn to guide our heart, we'll never find what we deserve
She's leaving, she waited for so long
She pretends that he cares, invents some tale just to get his heart
With no more dreams she didn't have
She washed her hands of this whole affair
She's leaving, she waited for so long
But as she left, she gave her all, abandoned hope, she took for home
- She's Leaving

The Cure. New Order. Depeche Mode. We can all agree theyโ€™re the big three of 80s DARK synth pop. Crushing songs. Deep songs. Songs that made us feel understood in the crazy storm called junior high. Songs that could get us through. As an awkward 80s kid, I was a massive fan of all three. But, for some reason (I'm blaming Pretty In Pink!), OMD were relegated to a "best of" in my growing vinyl collection. An LP that I would break out merely for 80s dance parties. I (& most my friends back then) considered them lightweight. Fluff.

So what a surprise when I started revisiting the early 80s due to Mercuryโ€™s request to make an 80s chart to find this stunning, deeply touching album. As my Genni would say, โ€œItโ€™s deep, Dad". Deep indeed, I reply in return. My Genni loves things that are deep. And dark. A turn in events from just a few years ago. Things change I guess. I remember hanging out with her in the lobbies of movie theaters to let the scary scenes pass. Watching her jump & twist on the lobbies makeshift attempts at comfortable seating. So happy that we were just there together. Waiting out the scary parts. Waiting for the storm to pass. Waiting for our Tilly, the daredevil oldest, to burst out the exit doors like a tempest gabbing a mile a minute to catch us up on all we had missed.

We had missed nothing though. Because we had each other.

To weathering the storm. And finding those who are willing to wait with us through it. No matter how uncomfortable the seating.

Rating: ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
  • Quote
Repo wrote:


Architecture & Morality by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark


Every day a new start, and she prefers the sudden truth
We'll never learn to guide our heart, we'll never find what we deserve
She's leaving, she waited for so long
She pretends that he cares, invents some tale just to get his heart
With no more dreams she didn't have
She washed her hands of this whole affair
She's leaving, she waited for so long
But as she left, she gave her all, abandoned hope, she took for home
- She's Leaving

The Cure. New Order. Depeche Mode. We can all agree theyโ€™re the big three of 80s DARK synth pop. Crushing songs. Deep songs. Songs that made us feel understood in the crazy storm called junior high. Songs that could get us through. As an awkward 80s kid, I was a massive fan of all three. But, for some reason (I'm blaming Pretty In Pink!), OMD were relegated to a "best of" in my growing vinyl collection. An LP that I would break out merely for 80s dance parties. I (& most my friends back then) considered them lightweight. Fluff.

So what a surprise when I started revisiting the early 80s due to Mercuryโ€™s request to make an 80s chart to find this stunning, deeply touching album. As my Genni would say, โ€œItโ€™s deep, Dad". Deep indeed, I reply in return. My Genni loves things that are deep. And dark. A turn in events from just a few years ago. Things change I guess. I remember hanging out with her in the lobbies of movie theaters to let the scary scenes pass. Watching her jump & twist on the lobbies makeshift attempts at comfortable seating. So happy that we were just there together. Waiting out the scary parts. Waiting for the storm to pass. Waiting for our Tilly, the daredevil oldest, to burst out the exit doors like a tempest gabbing a mile a minute to catch us up on all we had missed.

We had missed nothing though. Because we had each other.

To weathering the storm. And finding those who are willing to wait with us through it. No matter how uncomfortable the seating.

Rating: ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ :twisted:


I'm literally just listening to this album, hopped to your diary and there it was! The last entry! What are the chances lol. Perfect timing, fantastic album, as is the follow-up.
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 110111112 ... 174175176  Next
Page 111 of 176


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] CLOSED Let's Rank 23: The Beach Boys ... RepoMan Music
Rank 'Em: Ozzy Osbourne CA Dreamin Music
Album of the day (#388): Pet Sounds b... BestEverAlbums Music
New Beach Boys Single alelsupreme Music
Looking for music influenced by The B... Guest Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.