Rank 'Em: The Beach Boys

Goto page Previous  123 ... 116117118 ... 174175176  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
LedZep wrote:
Gowi wrote:
Neither Savatage, Cirith Ungol, or Manilla Road were power metal; even American style variants. You can lend an argument that they had some influence in the foundation similar to Maiden, Fates, etc. but thatโ€™s about it.

I think you're unnecessarily putting constraints on a genre you yourself called surprisingly diverse (or something along those lines). I've always considered all 3 of them at least partially US power metal, and so have many others. At the very least, they're notable parts of that scene. But, like Repo said, whatever Cirith Ungol are, they're an absolute blast (the other 2 as well).


Totally! I mean if all Power Metal sounded like this...


Hall Of The Mountain King by Savatage

..it'd probably be my favorite genre of metal. Dark, progressive, and intelligent? And you can rock to it with a 30-pack of Busch Light at a campsite as if it's Skynyrd?!?! Sign me the fuck up!!!
  • Quote
Repo wrote:
But, I sorta would. Like when I make my 1968 Metal chart, Blue Cheer will be #1! If you were a Metalhead in 1968, if you liked things heavy and loud, Blue Cheer were your favorite band. Don't discriminate against us old folks!! We have the right to metal too!!! ๐Ÿคฃ

I mean just listen to how HEAVY this is...


Link


As Metal as that Indiana band Primeval that's for sure! (Great, great rec btw! Played it today & it ROCKS!!! \m/)


Being an influence doesn't equate to being a thing. The Beatles were not prog rock, etc.
  • Quote
Trexasle wrote:
Another band I think influenced Power Metal and alot of 80's Metal in Particular (Specifically the Neo Classical Scene.)

Was Alcatrazz

Or as I call it "Graham Bonnet's home of Wayward Guitar Virtuoso's"


Like Yngwie or not...To say he doesn't have influence is dead wrong especially in Power and Neo-Classical.

And Steve Vai...is Steve Vai, his influence especially in Neo Classical and songwriting is pretty big.

That's not even getting to the leading man Graham Bonnet himself. Whose Voice would influence Alot of Japanese Metal singers (Yukio Morikawa of Anthem is the strongest example.)


Completely agree! I LOVE this album in particular by Yngwie...


Rising Force by Yngwie J. Malmsteen


Link
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:
I can never confidently call Melvins a metal band is why I don't often mention them. Were they influential toward sludge metal, drone metal, etc. Yeah, sure. But so was Black Flag but they were definitely never metal by my metrics. The majority of their discography in the 80s were punk/grunge/etc. records and you are asking who are the most influential METAL BANDS of the 80s not the most influential BANDS TO METAL in the 80s.

Mercury wrote
This is a good point. Specifically that last statement. Been thinking that ever since I mentioned Black Flag. If we are talking most influential bands TO metal going forwardโ€ฆ yeah Melvins, Discharge, Black Flag all should be mentioned. But yeahโ€ฆ not truly metal bands even at their โ€œmetalyestโ€.

========================================================================================== ================

I'm putting together my Top 10 Metal Albums of '82 and started thinking about this...



Revelations by Killing Joke

Just a Brick in The Wall

Cue it up. Turn up your speakers. What do you hear?

Pink Floyd may have have SANG about being another brick in the wall, but Killing Joke make you FEEL it. That YOU are just a brick. Perhaps surrounded by other bricks? Hard to say. You feel alone. Cold. The only weight you feel is that of indifference as you go about your brickly existence.

Yikes! Well donโ€™t get all depressed on me. Itโ€™s Christmas! Sing some Rudolph, grab yourself a nog and cue it up again. Now, what do you hear?

Itโ€™s metallic. I see a massive factory hammoring out rivet after rivet after rivet. BUT, the workers are all in rhythm. In a trance. Itโ€™s like theyโ€™re dancing as their hammering those rivets into the steel with sparks. And fire from the weld. And the hammers. Lots of hammers! Is this one of the first industrial metal albums?

They invented it, dude! Sheesh. Get a clue. BUT, itโ€™s not your fault, really. Killing Joke never quite fit in, did they? Lost somewhere in the vast chasm between post-punk & metal. Humans are quite as fluid as they should be. Weโ€™re only too quick to categorize. Judge. Assign. Killing joke are Killing Joke. And they are, without a doubt, arguably the most underappreciated metal band of all time.

Long Live The Joke!

Ps. This is just as good as their self-titled debut. IN FACT, Their first FOUR albums are ALL industrial metal landmarks. Etch in your name now before itโ€™s too late!

==========================================================

Should it go in my Metal or Punk list?! (I only do two lists so Post-punk is NOT an option.)
  • Quote
Yeah, this is a: "they were not a metal band and you are the first person I've met to speak about them in this way" category. I love Killing Joke. One of the greatest alt rock/post-punk bands of the 80s that people have largely forgotten. At their best they inched toward no wave and very early industrial rock (not quite Swans, but yeah). If Killing Joke are metal, so is Black Flag and the Melvins. They are more influential to KMFDM and Trent Renzor than Dagoba and Godflesh. The few times they made metal albums wasn't even until the 90s!

Anyway, I'm not denying their impact (they are one of my FAVORITE BANDS). So, put 'em in the punk list so I don't have to physically hurt you.
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:
Yeah, this is a: "they were not a metal band and you are the first person I've met to speak about them in this way" category. I love Killing Joke. One of the greatest alt rock/post-punk bands of the 80s that people have largely forgotten. At their best they inched toward no wave and very early industrial rock (not quite Swans, but yeah). If Killing Joke are metal, so is Black Flag and the Melvins. They are more influential to KMFDM and Trent Renzor than Dagoba and Godflesh. The few times they made metal albums wasn't even until the 90s!

Anyway, I'm not denying their impact (they are one of my FAVORITE BANDS). So, put 'em in the punk list so I don't have to physically hurt you.


Ha! Totally agree. Slotting it into my Punk list!

What are YOUR Top Ten Metal albums of 1982?! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

(i'd love to see everyone's even if it's just a top or something! Mine will be trickling out over the next week or so. My kids have Spring Break next week and we're road tripping to Paducah, KY just because so I should have some time to write at night!)
  • Quote
Killer - Wall of Sound
Picture - Diamond Dreamer
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
Scorpions - Blackout
Motรถrhead - Iron Fist
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
Twisted Sister - Under the Blade
Accept - Restless and Wild
Venom - Black Metal

Girlschool - Screaming Blue Murder
  • Quote
Gowi wrote:
Killer - Wall of Sound
Picture - Diamond Dreamer
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
Scorpions - Blackout
Motรถrhead - Iron Fist
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
Twisted Sister - Under the Blade
Accept - Restless and Wild
Venom - Black Metal

Girlschool - Screaming Blue Murder



GREAT picks, Gowi!!! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ I was just listening to ...


Diamond Dreamer by Picture

yesterday. Such a great album. It won't make my top ten, but it came really close. I love its marriage of Mach II Sabbath/early Dio with a just a hint of early 80s Whitesnake cock rock. The singer can BELT with the best of 'em and reminds me of a cross of Dio and Coverdale.

My Rating: ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ


I've never even heard of Killer so that will go into the queue immediately!
  • Quote
I'd add these 2


Volume 1 by Pagan Altar


Death Penalty by Witchfinder General

and an honorable mention to possibly the best KISS album


Creatures Of The Night by Kiss
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
LedZep wrote:


and an honorable mention to possibly the best KISS album


Creatures Of The Night by Kiss


That would be an interesting topic all on its own! My vote would be for...


Kiss by Kiss

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 116117118 ... 174175176  Next
Page 117 of 176


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] CLOSED Let's Rank 23: The Beach Boys ... RepoMan Music
Rank 'Em: Ozzy Osbourne CA Dreamin Music
Beach Boys Reunite Guest Music
[ Poll ] Beach Boys Albums outside of Pet soun... newbands1 Music
[ Poll ] Which is better: The Beach Boys or Th... Guest Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.