Songs "heavy" for their time

Goto page 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
The past few days I've been researching early 60's songs that were "heavy" for their time. Whether it be an especially crunchy guitar or gritty vocals. But I can only go so far with my own knowledge. So if any of you know some songs that were heavy for their time, I'm mostly looking for late 50's to about '65 or '66. Rock and roll, blues, pop, whatever genre is fine. Thanks for any recommendations!
_________________
And I will be alone again tonight my dear.
  • Quote

Link


or some Yardbirds?
  • Quote
*reads OP*

'Ah, Them would fit that description.'

*scrolls down*

Norman Bates wrote:

Link


'Good old Norman.'

Gonna leave 'Mystic Eyes' here anyway, because Them are great.


Link

_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
A lot of people claim this is the first song with a growled lyric.


Link


No idea if that's true or not, and it honestly sounds a bit out of place and silly, but that's something.

This is also pretty cool and seems up the right alley:


Link

_________________


. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

"While I'm alive, I'll make tiny changes to Earth" - Frightened Rabbit
  • Quote
how bout noise music in 1913

Link
  • Quote
One LP immediately springs to mind, from '66:


Black Monk Time by Monks

Seriously, any album that starts 'Alright, my name's Gary' is worth 30 minutes of anyone's time. There's a few vids of them performing on German TV on YouTube - check out Monk Chant (not on the LP, but ace anyway) and the below:


Link


And whilst we're talking Yardbirds, here's a 60s US garage rip-off. In fact there's a fair bit of mid-60s garage rock worth listening to, but I've always had a soft spot for this, also from '66:


Link

_________________
'Reggae' & t'ing
Folk 'n Stuff
SHAMELESS RECORD DEALER PLUG
  • Quote
This 66 captain beef heart is pretty fuckin heavy (Diddy Wah Diddy)


Link


And of course this instrumental from 65 I think by the who is sick! And HEAVY! (The Ox)


Link


And earlier stuff I always found pretty heavy for its time is this howlin wolf track from I think 49 or 51 (Moanin in the moonlight)


Link


That's all I wanna share at the moment
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
Also this is fucking weird! I think it's from 65 or 66 and this just is heavy sloppy garage which sounds like pre-Dead Kennedys to me anyway. (Spazz by the elastic band)


Link


And honestly I highly recommend listening to the Nuggets and Nuggets II box sets. Those sets are full of heavy ass stuff.

Like this sonics song too (The Witch)


Link


Or this Love song (7 and 7 is)


Link

_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
Screamin' Jay Hawkins - At Home with Screamin' Jay Hawkins (R&B/Shock Rock) [1958]

Link

The Trashmen - Surfin' Bird (Frat Rock/Garage Rock/Psychedelic/Garage/Rock & Roll/Surf) [1963]

Link

The Kinks - Kinks-Size (Rock And Roll) [1965]

Link

The Wailers - Out Of Our Tree (Garage Rock) [1966]

Link


Last edited by FatalIn10sity on 05/21/2016 19:42; edited 2 times in total
  • Quote
You can't talk about mid 60's heavy rock without this song from 1966...

You've Got A Hard Time Comin' by The Remains


Link

_________________
I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 12  Next
Page 1 of 2


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Songs titled " Rock and Roll&quo... bobbyb5 Music
FYI "Songs" and "Chart... ffudnebbuh Music
I like this artist's album more than ... Spyglass Music
Artists that were important due to th... Jasonconfused Music
[ Poll ] Albums ahead of their time Saoirse Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.