Spotify

View previous topic :: View next topic
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 05/27/2012 07:33
  • Post subject: Spotify
Just released here in Australia. I downloaded it. Looked at it, set it up and then closed it down.

I have been umming and ahhing about it for a while and wasn't sure what the fuss was about. Streaming albums - great but I still like my sense of ownership with an album. I know you can subscribe and get premium features which allows you to listen offline but I am still trying to figure out the real benefit of a program like Spotify.

Pros and cons I think is what I am after, people. So proceed to enlighten me.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/27/2012 08:35
  • Post subject:
I was listening to the Stanford Entrepreneurial Thought Leaders podcast the other day and Daniel Ek (co-founder of Spotify) was the guest speaker - http://www.stanforddaily.com/2012/05/17...lks-music/ He gave some interesting insights on the service, and where it was headed. The bottom line is that Spotify will take $120 off you per year, whereas the average listener currently only spends $12 a year on CDs/MP3s. I think this kind of service is cost effective for people who are buying a lot of music each year, and useful to others who just want listen to music on tap and build playlists. A few of my friends run restaurants and bars, and they use it for background music as it saves buying loads of CDs. I don't know exactly how big their catalogue is (e.g. notable omissions etc, but interesting post here - http://pansentient.com/2010/07/so-long-...e-streams/ )
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/27/2012 12:20
  • Post subject:
I use the Unlimited version which only costs £60 a year. i find it really good, the music doesn't take up space on your computer and any omissions you can add files from your own computer.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 05/27/2012 12:57
  • Post subject:
Yeah, it's an extraordinary value. Especially for discovering new music.

Before Spotify, I would buy CD's of stuff like ZZ Top that I thought I'd like, but ended up hating. But with Spotify, before I ever go on Amazon to buy something, I can listen to it in full, to see whether I like it or not.
  • Visit poster's website
lancashirearab
A Porky Prime Cut

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/27/2012 15:15
  • Post subject:
Spotify is amazing. It saves you ending up with buying albums that you haven't listened to. But that was part of the excitement of discovering music. You would hear of something and then had to decide whether to risk your money buying it.
My son has Spotify so he doesn't have to cart all his music collection to university or fill his computer with the files.
It is a great service, but my phone keeps cutting out when I try to listen to it! Crying or Very sad
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2012 04:23
  • Post subject:
Spotify is great for testing out albums before you buy them. I also would just buy albums that were well rated on this site (actually I still do... haha) but now I can test them out to make sure I at least like the sound. Plus, when my funds are limited (right now) I'm able to listen to music I love but can't afford.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
kramerfan86

United States

• Posted: 05/28/2012 05:16
  • Post subject:
Yup testing is definitely the big advantage. I definitely disagree though with the idea that somehow its a reasonable replacement for owning albums that some people try to proclaim which seems to be the aspect of it you are skeptical about.
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 05/29/2012 17:16
  • Post subject: Mixed App
I agree that's there's nothing like actually having the album in your hand and putting in your record or cd player to play it, but since i'm currently living out here in a small city where there isn't a decent record store, I admit Spotify has kept me from going insane. It's a great app, but it will never quite be the same as owning the actual album
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 05/30/2012 07:33
  • Post subject:
Have started to use it a bit but I am still being real tentative with it. Listening to Cardinal's Hymns at the moment as I cannot find it anywhere.

Spotify might become my official wishlist I think. See what happens.
  • Visit poster's website
Xavygravy

• Posted: 05/30/2012 10:16
  • Post subject:
I liked it when it was free (the first 48 hours). Streaming new music on my iPhone was amazing.

The only cons I can see are the cost, and the music library (which lacks many older, classic albums in favour of compilations). The interaction with other users could also do with some work.
  • Visit poster's website