Chart of the day (#485): By Norman Bates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 02/12/2013 08:27
  • Post subject:
Mother Nature's Son wrote:
You have two Beach Boys albums in your overall chart, but no Beach Boys albums here? I think Sunflower wouldn't be out of place and I even have a couple of favourites in front of that one. One question more: The reason why you don't like Pink Floyd, is it because they're pretentious or is it something else? Just curious.

1. Surf's Up was once up there, but on re-listening, even though there are some glorious moments (the title song, obv.), I found it a bit uneven to put in a top 100. I haven't re-listened to Sunflower in quite a while, will do.

2. "Pretentious", I don't know, I'm not comfortable with the notion of pretentiousness in music. I don't think post-Barrett PF is especially "pretentious": after all, it did encounter major success and has achieved masterpiece status in the eyes of today's critics. So, whatever pretentiousness there might have been could very well be justified, which means it's not pretentiousness anymore. It just that it is too bombabstic and intent on sounding deep for me, when I listen to those records (Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of the Moon), it seems I can always feel that "listen to how grand we are" thing which is difficult to bear, especially as I don't think the songs are anything special. It all goes down to a matter of taste really.
  • Visit poster's website
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 02/12/2013 17:22
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
1. Surf's Up was once up there, but on re-listening, even though there are some glorious moments (the title song, obv.), I found it a bit uneven to put in a top 100. I haven't re-listened to Sunflower in quite a while, will do.

I agree that Surf's Up is a bit uneven, it has some of my least favourite songs/covers by the group ("Take a Load off Your Feet" and "Student Demonstration Time"), though also some of their best songs. You should definitely give Sunflower another try. That's by far one of their most consistent albums, and I would've thought, according to the music on your various charts, that you liked it more.

Norman Bates wrote:
2. "Pretentious", I don't know, I'm not comfortable with the notion of pretentiousness in music. I don't think post-Barrett PF is especially "pretentious": after all, it did encounter major success and has achieved masterpiece status in the eyes of today's critics. So, whatever pretentiousness there might have been could very well be justified, which means it's not pretentiousness anymore. It just that it is too bombabstic and intent on sounding deep for me, when I listen to those records (Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of the Moon), it seems I can always feel that "listen to how grand we are" thing which is difficult to bear, especially as I don't think the songs are anything special. It all goes down to a matter of taste really.

Okay, that's actually true, the thing about "listen to how grand we are", especially with Wish You Were Here, which has always disappointed me a bit because I too have always thought that they tried too hard on that one, its "epicness" feels a tad too forced. Somehow it works perfectly with "The Dark Side of the Moon" for me! Confused The reason why I wondered is because I, before I joined here on BEA, thought that Pink Floyd were either a band you loved or a band you thought was boring. Like you say, it's probably just a matter of taste, though I'm sure that most people won't mind their, unlike some people here, overblown musical style when they've become used to one mindless pop/dance song after another in the radio.

• Posted: 02/12/2013 17:27
  • Post subject:
Mother Nature's Son wrote:
Like you say, it's probably just a matter of taste, though I'm sure that most people won't mind their, unlike some people here, overblown musical style when they've become used to one mindless pop/dance song after another in the radio.

I think something got lost in translation here. Do you means that people who are too used to "mindless pop/dance" can't stand - or, rather, are less inclined to enjoy - Pink Floyd's "overblown musical style"?
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 02/12/2013 20:09
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
I think something got lost in translation here. Do you means that people who are too used to "mindless pop/dance" can't stand - or, rather, are less inclined to enjoy - Pink Floyd's "overblown musical style"?

Less inclined. I had a specific girl in mind who found "Mother" boring. My point was that I haven't heard about any people, with only very limited interest in music, that find Pink Floyd unbearable. Only people that think they're boring. Anyway, it was mostly just empty words, I don't know why I wrote them.
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/13/2013 00:57
  • Post subject:
Wonderful chart - eclectic and inspirational.
  • Visit poster's website