Great to be here

View previous topic :: View next topic
PatrickD
Rank?

United States

• Posted: 12/18/2013 09:38
  • Post subject: Great to be here
I'm excited to join in on this site.

If I were to truly say why I'm here it's because I have become increasingly obsessive with organizing and boxing in my life in a systematic way to allow for a larger capacity. (As in, having one little baby and one little toddler running around my life demands me to be specific if I'm not going to live consistently reactive.)

Getting older AND our worldwide culture replicating information at a rapid speed are two doses of overdrive that are making me experience time in an increasingly deteriorating way.

And now to categorize, chart, and learn from people, who, I guess, naturally organize how they enjoy music. I'm not naturally so concrete but enjoy the exercise and hope to learn a few things on what this management may mean in life.

Question for you: Is "charting" 1) getting thoughts in your head out onto your system and freeing your mind, 2) focusing you to think way too much about things you shouldn't and can't rationalize and reach a final conclusion, or 3) allowing you an outlet for creativity.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 12/18/2013 11:11
  • Post subject:
Welcome to a wonderful site!

As for charting, don't put too much thought into it I guess. Just put down the music you love and change it as much as you see fit. That's how I view it anyway.

• Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 12/18/2013 18:32
  • Post subject:
Welcome!

I'd say I fall into 2 and 3. Or a and b above.

I like music. And this is a way if systematically and methodically getting into new music as well as tracking the stuff I have heard.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/18/2013 18:49
  • Post subject:
Welcome! For me, charting helps me keep track of the ridiculous number of opinions and thoughts I have about music. Going back to one of my charts may help me recall albums that I loved but had forgotten about. I don't worry too much about the exact order, it's just a rough span of positive or negative feelings. Charting is also great for discovering music. By looking at the charts of others with similar tastes (or different, but interesting tastes), I can quickly discover great albums.

However, I think you'll find that most of the active forum members here are far less methodical and concrete than you think...
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 12/18/2013 18:58
  • Post subject:
Welcome!
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 12/18/2013 19:10
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Welcome!

I think you'll find that most of the active forum members here are far less methodical and concrete than you think...
PatrickD
Rank?

United States

• Posted: 12/19/2013 08:18
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Welcome! For me, charting helps me keep track of the ridiculous number of opinions and thoughts I have about music. Going back to one of my charts may help me recall albums that I loved but had forgotten about. I don't worry too much about the exact order, it's just a rough span of positive or negative feelings. Charting is also great for discovering music. By looking at the charts of others with similar tastes (or different, but interesting tastes), I can quickly discover great albums.

However, I think you'll find that most of the active forum members here are far less methodical and concrete than you think...

Thanks! Your logic makes a lot of sense. The interesting dichotomy for me is that every chart at some point logically formats the intuitive. Not worrying too much about the order is an honest way to accept the limitations of a chart. I do appreciate those that try to massage a deeper meaning, though. I'm sure there has to be some true joy at a finished peace! haha
  • Visit poster's website