User Pick of the Day (#65): Crazy Rhythms (CellarDoor)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 05/24/2014 15:20
  • Post subject:
@skinny

I see your point of view on the Ivy League background, and I can also hear that background shines through on the music. There isn't much grit or struggle in their music. But I do feel there is emotion and really solid songwriting, amazing melodies and harmonies and excellent hooks and ENERGY. I love how much intense energy comes from their albums. And as for their privileged upbringing, when they mention this in their songs I at least know they're being honest. I can't stand it if a songwriter completely ignores or skews how they really live. So, in a way I feel Ezra Koenig is at least not shying away from what he knows. So, when he writes a bouncy song about an Oxford comma, it's because he has some personal gripe and experience dealing with English classes, etc. I just mean there is to that degree honesty in their music.

And can I honestly say I've lived a struggle-filled life? Have I overcome poverty? Not really. I came up in the lower middle class. And I almost never had to worry about food or shelter or being mugged walking to school. So, I can relate to VW in that regard - they just lived with much more privilege than me. There was a time when I was very young and I lived in a pretty bad neighborhood and my parents were struggling, so I have those 3 years between 6 and 9 to remember to (mildly - SUPER mildly) relate to an artist like Nas when he communicates about his world. The point is I think a lot of what makes music connect is a relatability factor. And I suppose I can totally relate or at leat see where Vampire Weekend are coming from. And I love their music and energy and sounds as well. So here we are.

Also, this whole point of background and being well-off or being real has so many blurred lines. Case in point is Mobb Deep. The guys who made one of the greatest, grittiest hip hop albums ever, chronicling the street life in all it's rugged and ragged edges. They met at art school! They were brought up middle class suburbia. So, what is "honest" in music or in artists? Belle and Sebastian, while not as rich or well off as VW, met in college, they're also very suburban. They also had a very similar air of intellectualism, literate songwriting, pop leanings, they openly spoke of what was real to them, and all that. Yet they are adored and never called out as being uppity, smarmy, rich kids. I don't fully understand all the double standards in this area. Just because someone comes from a rich household, why should we resent that? Whatever. It's neither here nor there.

We just have a disagreement on this band, I guess. And yes, I apologized for using cretin and asshole against another user. I think both of us have had experience in getting a bit out of line in a misguided attempt to defend our favorite musicians.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 05/24/2014 15:26
  • Post subject:
Secondsoul wrote:
Ha Ha, some post there. God, it's so good to have you back!!

Agreed.

However, I don't think economic privilege really has much to do with a person's ability to write about sadness, frustration, etc. Brian Wilson had all the money in the world when he wrote Pet Sounds, but it didn't change the fact that he felt sad and alone. Working in academia, most of the people I encounter come from privileged backgrounds, but rest assured, there are a lot of tortured souls in their ranks.

And hardship is relative, too. Even African Americans who are in the bottom 10% of the US tax bracket are still richer than most of the world. One could easily say that all popular music is just self-satisfied garbage when you look at the struggles of the rural poor in central Africa.

But to some extent, lethal's still right, because he's just explaining his perspective. Perspectives aren't always rational and we can't help the way we respond to music. So yeah, the only asshole here is Defago. We would do well to remember that.
KevDoesTheAstro

United States

• Posted: 05/24/2014 17:02
  • Post subject:
Not a frequent user, so my 2 cents probably doesn't matter all that much, but having said that:
Skinny makes a great point, although I personally have a hard on for VW (not unlike Mercury). Space Tiger also makes a valid point.

Since I know Mercury IRL, and I have been listening to his rant about this thread for the last day and a half I felt the need to contribute.

VW makes great music and they're not pretending to be something they're not (which is more than can be said for a lot of other artists). They're stuff communicates to a very specific audience (awesome people who love good music).

But Red (Mercury), I think it's a bit harsh to start name-calling simply because someone doesn't agree with your taste. Opinions are like assholes: everyone has one and they usually stink... and if you get all up in someone else's and try to rip it appart you're likely to get shit on.

My opinion: VW is awesome Cool
  • Visit poster's website