• Posted: 07/02/2014 17:58
  • Post subject: User Pick of the Day (#98): R Plus Seven [MrFrogger]

R Plus Seven by Oneohtrix Point Never

Chart: Forum Regulars' 500+ Chart by sp4cetiger
User: MrFrogger
Year: 2013
Rank on BEA Overall: 3,278
Average Rating: 73/100
Summary Info: The seventh studio album by Brooklyn-based experimental electronic musician Daniel Lopatin. This ambient offering is also his label debut with Warp Records.

Details on the implementation and chart selection process of "User Pick of the Day" can be found here and here, respectively. A chart documenting the previous picks can be found here.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 07/02/2014 18:05
  • Post subject:
It's easily Lapotin's best, definitely hear a massive Grosskopf influence in there. It's obviously supposed to sound dated in a very strange way, a sort of "found sound" exercise that makes me think of those strange public service announcement-type VHS tapes they used to keep in schools, and little bespectacled wannabEnos sitting in their stuffy one-bed flats, trying to get their old mini-Moogs to sing. Playful throughout, and regularly beautiful, this is the sort of synth geekery I can really get behind. I just love the way such calming tones are twisted and thrown around with such childlike exuberance. Very impressive, and one of my favourites of the last few years.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 07/02/2014 19:37
  • Post subject:
One of my favorites of the current decade for sure. Lopatin has a true talent when it comes to crafting eery, synth infused electronic music. The element that this album has, puts it over the top the top, is the vintage feel he puts over the music, through the use of samples. It's like he took the (shitty) genre of vaporwave, made it not a piece of crap, then twisted it into a pretzel.

I recommend that anyone with even the slightest interest in electronic music give this a listen.

Also if anyone else here appreciates some creepy, vintage French animation, check out the short film that the album cover is taken from

Link
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/02/2014 19:45
  • Post subject:
Yeah, it’s pretty great. I don’t recall how I ended up discovering this one but it was exactly the sort of thing I look for in electronic music. I still haven’t explored the deep discography available from the artist but if this is the tip of the iceberg I’m certainly excited to explore more.
  • Visit poster's website
Silver

• Posted: 07/02/2014 19:48
  • Post subject:
Disagree that it's his best, but it is very good. Really interesting rhythmic ideas and synth leads throughout, oscillates between ambience and really frenetic and cool sampling.. I should really come back to OPN more often than I do, his stuff his great.
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 07/02/2014 20:03
  • Post subject:
I think it's his best. The textures are cool.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 07/02/2014 20:25
  • Post subject:
I've only heard this and the kinda compilation type thing called "Rifts". And they're both excellent. I especially love this record. There's a definite free flowing creativity in this album. Like it goes all over yet it never feels jarring or inconsistent , rather it just is a listening experience with lots of interesting mood changes and rhythmic and textures changes tht keep you guessing and keeps you intrigued and, very importantly, stays beautiful throughout.

I need to get in on more of this man's stuff, and this album deserves a few relistens too. I almost picked up a used copy of "Replica" a couple months ago, but decided against it. I wish I had made a different decision now.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website