BEA's Year-End List #4: Meshes of Voice

View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger
  • Posted: 02/07/2015 18:49
  • Post subject: BEA's Year-End List #4: Meshes of Voice

Meshes Of Voice by Susanna / Jenny Hval

This atmospheric collaboration between Norwegian art poppers Jenny Hval and Susanna Wallumrød caused several BEAers to swoon, so much so that it landed in our top 4. Here are some comments from the charts and forums:

Gowienczyk wrote:
Art pop conventions collide in an ambient noise soundscape that inspires and most certainly does not disappoint. Of course being crafted by two of the most talented and interesting musicians in the Norwegian art pop scene is something that really helps Meshes of Voice become a standout record. I absolutely love Jenny Hval’s work and Susanna has always been a gifted collaborator (see last year’s collaboration with Ensemble Neon for example) so it comes to no surprise that they have created this amazing piece of music together. But what is surprising is how well they play off one another on this record or at least it is to me as I’ve heard collaborations before that end up being great but obviously wonky as the musicians involve try to play a game akin to tug of war. The arrangements are noisy here, but also lush and beautiful. It’s a keeper.

19loveless91 wrote:
I didn't really care for this the first time around, and it was mostly because of what I called irritating vocals. Didn't start any better this time around. Also, while I like the idea of the third track, I Have Walked This Body, I could only think about how it's trying to be "edgy" without much of a result. Dunno... Unfortunately, I can't say much about the tracks after that, cause I took an involuntary afternoon nap. Woke up at the last couple of tracks, the last one is actually pretty great, with a good vocal interplay. Um... Will give it another listen soon.

RockyRaccoon wrote:
I don’t even know where to begin with this album. It’s absolute insanity, as crazy and feverish as anything Swans or Current 93 have put out, like some kind of nightmare you never want to wake up from. This is a live collaboration project from Jenny Hval and Susanna Wallumrod, two Norwegian vocalists. All fifteen tracks on here are interconnected, one flowing into the other, and they all form one incredible piece that forces you to stop what you’re doing, shut up, and listen. Hval and Wallumrod are able to put something together that can sound like an absolute chaotic mess at times, but a controlled chaotic mess, if that makes any sense. It’s an album you have to hear to really get it, describing it is difficult. Just know, this album is a ride, a crazy, roller coaster of an album that will leave you going “What just happened?”.

Norman Bates wrote:
Well, yes. Undoubtedly.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif
  • Posted: 02/07/2015 19:00
  • Post subject:
An excellent, alarming record - like lovers lost in a blizzard, scared and shivering, but able to find solace and inspiration in each other and their will to live. It's quite astounding how they muster up all these distinct, repetitive, almost minimalist motifs repeated within songs (I'm thinking 'A Mirror in My Mouth', 'Black Lake'), forming little vignettes that are then sewn together absolutely seamlessly, to the point where they feel completely out of place alone, even when they could and should work. A record it's extremely easy to get lost in, and one that I've gone back to time and (bed)time again in the past few months. Very pleasantly surprised to see it land so high up here.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States
  • Posted: 02/07/2015 19:14
  • Post subject:
Yeah, this sounds really really interesting.

But question Sp4cetiger, how was this list arrived at? What poll was done? The order seems totally unconnected to anything on the site's ranking.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger
  • Posted: 02/07/2015 19:20
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Yeah, this sounds really really interesting.

But question Sp4cetiger, how was this list arrived at? What poll was done? The order seems totally unconnected to anything on the site's ranking.

Yeah, the site's rankings don't play into it:

BEA's Year-End List
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 02/07/2015 19:58
  • Post subject:
Awesome Very Happy Surprised this ever made the list. Stunningly beautiful record from last year.
craola
crayon master

United States
  • Posted: 02/08/2015 00:19
  • Post subject:
I am very happy to see this here. It was my AOTY. Beautiful record through and through.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States
  • Posted: 02/08/2015 01:36
  • Post subject:
Another one I've yet to hear, but I think I may've even voted for it for best album cover in the BEAMAs, it was rather intriguing to me, I just need to actually check it out some time soon.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Silver
  • Posted: 02/09/2015 21:22
  • Post subject:
Forgot to post on this when it went up, but I was really pleasantly surprised to see this on the list. Really great album. I had already been a big fan of Jenny Hval when this came out, and Innocence Is Kinky was in its own right an uncomfortably intimate, intense album, but this just went off the deep end. Really intense, sobering album, it keeps you on edge. I always found Hval had this unnatural ability to dig into your skin (though I've heard from some people this album is more from Susanna's style, need to get around to hearing some of her solo stuff). Regardless, the album has an amazing sense of dynamics and is really impressive.