40%  [10]
Total Votes : 25

Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 05/04/2015 21:28
  • Post subject:
Well my thought on this is....

1-9-8-4!!!! Relatively easy choice for me.

But don't get me wrong, 2014 is super solid. Actually singles wise - as much as I love that Pastels and a-ha and Newcleus I just may give the edge to '14. With that Bored In The USA being the best in the round. Really that's one of the greatest songs I've ever heard, so yeah any team with it is cool. Also that FKA Twigs is HOT!

But where 84 takes it easily for me is the Albums. Damn! How can I vote against 3 that are absolute masterpieces and 3 of my all time faves (Diamond Life, Let It Be, Ride The Lightning), and another beautiful Manuel Göttsching album. I can't. I never liked Zen Arcade too much. But still it's influence on indie and hardcore punk is almost unfathomable. So at the very least there's respect there.

And I can honestly say Ride The Lightning is basically the first album that really really shook me to my core. I knew from the first seconds of the insane speed burst of Fight Fire With Fire that I was a music fan. So I have a VERY special place in my heart for that choice.

In comparison, none of those 2014 albums have even remotely had a chance to be lived with and in like the '84 ones. I have heard those '14 albums tops maybe 2 times. They're quality. But 2 of the albums Repo chose are another level of time honored loves of mine. And all 5 have stood the test of time as greatness in their genres.

Vote to '84!

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 05/05/2015 11:21
  • Post subject:
Again, was expecting to go for one team off the bat but a strong offering from both captains makes this a much more difficult decision. That 84 album team is absolutely ridiculous- Let it Be is an all-time treasure (I still choke up every time I hear Androgynous), Ride the Lightning gets my vote for best Metallica Album (and maybe best 80s american-metal album), Zen Arcade is absolutely brilliant (not without it's flaws) and Diamond Life is a cold but fascinating beauty and always an instant turn-on. I haven't heard E2-E4 but likely won't diminish a terrific album team. The singles team is also pretty solid top to bottom- but lacks a stunner, a knockout punch.

And while I found 2014 a bit underwhelming as a year so perhaps it may have lowered my expectations somewhat, that team by far surpassed my expecations, leave it to that pesky mathematical law-breaker Wink to change my mind. Heartleap and Workshop 19 are terrific, Black Metal is a strong wild-card and I just recently discovered Dark Comedy, fun and quirky surprise. Haven't heard Budos Band yet though. Singles team def win it here, while have mixed feelings about the albums they come off of, as stand-alones they range from quite groovy to beautiful to brilliant. Great job all-around. And 14 def wins it presentation-wise, def love the TV-Tropes style album descriptions.

Donno. Leaning 84 on albums but 14 on singles. Will listen to what I haven't so far and make up my mind. Or just flip a coin.
undefined

• Posted: 05/09/2015 01:42
  • Post subject:
just a friendly reminder that voting 84 makes you a bad person
RepoMan

• Posted: 05/09/2015 03:03
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
just a friendly reminder that voting 84 makes you a bad person man

Let's take a look at some footage recently shot just outside the Repo household on learning of his likely victory over the plucky DBZ...

Link

"I'm king of the world! I'm pretty! I'm a bad man!" - RepoMan Twisted Evil

Insanely great team, DBZ!!!! I especially loved that Kassem Mosse album!!! <3 My singles were totally better though. LOL.