What Vinyls do you recommend?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/04/2017 19:53
  • Post subject:
"Getting into vinyls" (or records as some of us old timers call them) is only really worth it if you've got something decent to play them on in the first place, assuming of course you're doing more than buying them to look at or keep gathering dust on a shelf. If you buy a new record (for say £20/$25) and play it on one of those Crosley Cruiser things you'll not only defeat the object as the sound will be atrocious, but you'll wreck the record after a few plays given the ceramic stylus and the ridiculously high (and non-adjustable) tracking force.

You should in theory be able to pick up a fair amount of half-decent original presses for reasonable prices in any self-respecting second hand record shop. Vinylhub is a God-send if you want to find some stores near to you. Dig through the dollar bins, pick up some random stuff as Seth says - it's half the fun. And whilst I agree with the Siren person who reeled off some classics (nowt wrong with any of them), with the mad costs of records these days I'd seriously consider trialling the albums on a streaming service/YouTube first before spending silly money. Vinyl ain't cheap.

Komorebi-D wrote:
Bit left-field but maybe try getting into some ambient albums too. The hiss from the needle sounds like it was the way the artist intended.

I could not disagree more with this. For starters, you shouldn't get any 'hiss from the needle' unless you're playing the record through a shitty setup or it's dirty/scratched/bad pressing. I've got an original press of Music For Airports and it sounds great without the slightest hint of static/surface noise, but having 'hiss' to accompany it would completely destroy the experience. No self-respecting ambient artist would want their finely-crafted soundscapes to ever sound 'hissy' unless it was added as part of the mastering for 'effect', in which case the storage media wouldn't make a shred of difference.
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 05/05/2017 01:01
  • Post subject:
I'd add Aja by Steely Dan to the lists people have provided. That album's production is perfect, and it would sound really nice on vinyl.
  • Visit poster's website
jackbrown8786

• Posted: 05/06/2017 00:23
  • Post subject:
Based on your taste in Beatles, I want to say: Beach Boys' Pet Sounds. Rolling Stones' Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Exile on Main Street, Sticky Fingers. Jimi Hendrix's Are you Experienced, Axis Bold as Love, Electric Ladyland. The Who's Who's Next, Tommy, Quadrophenia. The Beatles' Sergeant Peppers, Abbey Road, White Album, Rubber Soul.

Based on your taste in Deep Purple I want to say: The Doors' S/T, Strange Days, LA Woman. Black Sabbath's S/T, Paranoid, Master of Reality, Vol 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Led Zeppelin's 1, 2, 4, Houses of the Holy. Cream's Disraeli Gears.

Based on your taste in John Lennon, I want to say: John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band, Imagine, Mind Games.
Nick Drake's Pink Moon, Five Leaves Left, Bryter Later. Leonard Cohen's The Songs of Leonard Cohen, Songs of Love and Hate. The Velvet Underground's S/T. Neil Young's After the Gold Rush, Harvest, On the Beach, Tonight's the Night, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere. Lou Reed's Transformer. Paul McCartney and the Wings' Band On the Run. Maybe Patti Smith's Horses but I could just be blinded with bias for this one, she's kind of love or hate and I'm too obsessed and I relate far too much to it to judge it objectively any more.

I want to say more but at the same time I don't want to speculate. I don't know why ppl are recommending some of the random s*&^ that they are. I don't think many of them took what you already bought into consideration. Maybe their reasoning skills are a bit off. Give some of your other favorites and I'll be able to recommend more. I'd definitely get the Who and Zeppelin first just b/c they fit with both your taste in Beatles and Deep Purple which is more overlap than you have with the other bands I mentioned.

For future reference, the plural of "vinyl" is "vinyl," if you care.
  • Visit poster's website