Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/27/2017 04:27
  • Post subject:
jepstein wrote:

Somehow as part of the festival they were convinced to play both nights just before the headliners, first day Blue Album, second day Pinkerton. Went straight into the albums, played them through, then played 3 random songs to close each set.

I prefer the Blue Album of the two, but Pinkerton live was probably a bit better.

That's rad.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 07/27/2017 04:43
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:

Foo Fighters doing One by One even though it's probably my least favorite record from them, still quite the story.

I was a MAJOR Foo fan at this time. I was part of their street team and won some thing to be Nate Mendel's double in the music video times like these when they were throwing things off the bridge.

The party was at the Virgin Records store on Laurel Canyon and Sunset Blvd back when I lived there. They shut down the store for the party. Pretty cool experience to see them play in front of about 150 people, and at least 20 of them were involved in the production of the record.

I got a signed copy... if only it were Wasting Light or The Colour and the Shape... Sad

Bro, what else don't we know about you? That's pretty fucking amazing.

And yeah Wasting Light, what a record. The first Foo concert I saw was on the Wasting Light tour and they didn't play the whole record but they did damn near 8 songs from the album spread throughout the set. Quite the show. I'm looking forward to their upcoming record but I don't have incredible expectations.
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 07/27/2017 16:52
  • Post subject:
Dream Theater - The Astonishing

Aptly titled.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 07/27/2017 17:21
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Dream Theater - The Astonishing

Aptly titled.

Let's talk The Astonishing. I saw that show too, the Detroit stop, though my friends and I left at intermission. We knew what we were getting. We knew it was all of the new album and we were looking forward to it. We all left pretty disappointed. The music on the album is pretty modern day Dream Theater. Tighter than hell, dazzling moments of musicianship, and a good hook every now and again. However, even with a listen prior to going to the show and one listen after (so far), I just can't get into that record.

Now, I will say the beginning of the show was unreal. It was my 4th time seeing Dream Theater and I had never seen them use video screens and lights so brilliantly. But my sense of wonder (I won't use the term astonishment just yet Wink ) dissipated after the first couple songs. To me the music is alright on the Astonishing but gets a bit tedious after a minute. The song Three Days is probably my favorite on the album but I could barely even watch them play it because the screen visual was a swirling tornado of debris that gave me pretty heavy motion sickness. Maybe I'll get into the Astonishing more as time goes by but I was not feeling it that night. Bottom line is I appreciate you sharing a positive thought on Dream Theater, because I don't think they get a lot of credit on this site.

I think with the Astonishing, the concept is a little too sprawling, and a little hard to follow with SO MUCH MUSIC.
It's ambitious and I love how they hyped it up with very unique promotional tactics. I remember receiving emails asking "Which side are you on?" and got specific emails based off of which side I chose. I can't help but feel overall though that Petrucci wrote much better music with Portnoy as his partner.

These of course are just my thoughts. I would love to hear more of your thoughts on the show you saw. Maybe I should have stayed for the second half!
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 07/27/2017 17:30
  • Post subject:
Actually, if you were starting to suffer from some burnout by intermission, you would have suffered even more afterwards.

It is admittedly very hard to digest. The sheer length of it combined with the relentless onslaught of virtuosity and the not always cohesive story behind the music makes for a rather difficult experience. It did take a good deal of mental effort on my part to stick with it. I'm glad I went, and I got my money's worth out of it, but I wouldn't care to do it again.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 07/27/2017 20:36
  • Post subject:

Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth

Loveless by My Bloody Valentine

Was deaf in one ear for two days after drowning in the sound of the latter.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/27/2017 21:53
  • Post subject:
Only two (first one already mentioned, with apologies to Skinny):

George Best by The Wedding Present

Portsmouth Wedgewood Rooms, an age ago

Tomboy by Panda Bear

Electric Ballroom, Camden. Totally unexpected. Sonic Boom and PB played the whole album in order, then encored with Comfy in Nautica and Bros before the PA blew up
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 07/28/2017 01:55
  • Post subject:
I know I've seen Doolittle, Psychocandy, and probably others, but I'm typically not a fan of this. However, I am excited to Henry Threadgill's Zooid perform In for a Penny, In for a Pound in a couple weeks and will likely see Leo Smith's golden quartet (includes Anthony Davis (because I know Afterhours is the only one reading at this point)) perform Ten Freedom Summers in October.
O.T.

Germany

• Posted: 07/28/2017 14:26
  • Post subject:
Tuxedomoon - Half mute
Not even a year ago, and now Peter Principle is not among the living anymore, so it was the last time I ever saw them at all...
  • Visit poster's website
liveinacar

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/01/2017 20:33
  • Post subject:

Dirk Wears White Sox by Adam And The Ants

Moving Targets by Penetration
  • Visit poster's website