Did a bad album ever make you wanna jump out the window?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2018 22:53
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

Raditude by Weezer

Absolutely. This album was terrible.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 07/01/2018 17:28
  • Post subject:
No Brick wall
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/01/2018 18:09
  • Post subject:
carpents wrote:

Wild Mood Swings by The Cure

yeah for me it was just a bit earlier...

Wish by The Cure

still can't listen to the whole thing in one sitting - Wendy Song in particular depresses the shit out of me, but the longer tracks & letter to Elise I quite like.
  • Visit poster's website
RubenVrielynck

• Posted: 07/01/2018 18:56
  • Post subject:
Most U2 albums in the nineties after Achtung Baby (1991) were a dissapointment. All That You Can Leave Behind (2000) wasn't that bad. But everything after that was just cringeworthy. especially their latest "Songs of Experience" They should have stopped recording more than 20 year ago, please make it stop!

Queen & Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rocks .
First off: I'm a huge Queen-fan!! I also love Free & liked the first album of Bad Company. I liked the tour they did, because Paul Rodgers is a totally different singer than Feddie. It never felt like just a karaoke-act. (but now with Adam Lambert it does! Crying or Very sad ) But they should have left it with that. This album was so annoyingly bad that at the time I heard it, I felt some real hatred towards Brian May & Roger Taylor for smearing the Queen-name... I've cooled down over a period of 10 years Laughing

Most Deep Purple albums since perfect strangers (1984) have (with the exclusion of purpendicular (1996) have the same effect on me...

Some bands just need to know when to stop...
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 07/01/2018 19:08
  • Post subject:
RubenVrielynck wrote:

Most Deep Purple albums since perfect strangers (1984) have (with the exclusion of purpendicular (1996) have the same effect on me...

Steve Morse is easily one of the greatest guitarists of all time, any genre; but he's not a great fit for DP, being a more technically oriented guitarist as opposed to Blackmore's depth of feel.

That said, I do love his work on Now What (2013) and really appreciate the album overall.
  • Visit poster's website
RubenVrielynck

• Posted: 07/01/2018 20:39
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
RubenVrielynck wrote:

Steve Morse is easily one of the greatest guitarists of all time, any genre; but he's not a great fit for DP, being a more technically oriented guitarist as opposed to Blackmore's depth of feel.

That said, I do love his work on Now What (2013) and really appreciate the album overall.

I agree with the fact that Steve Morse is an excellent guitar player. The other members of the current Deep Purple are also masters of their instrument. But somehow it seems like they just can't produce any new material that I find interreseting or that can fit the standard of their early records. With the ever changing line-up it just seems like over the years they lost a bit of heart & credibility...
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 07/01/2018 20:52
  • Post subject:
RubenVrielynck wrote:
Fischman wrote:
RubenVrielynck wrote:

I agree with the fact that Steve Morse is an excellent guitar player. The other members of the current Deep Purple are also masters of their instrument. But somehow it seems like they just can't produce any new material that I find interreseting or that can fit the standard of their early records. With the ever changing line-up it just seems like over the years they lost a bit of heart & credibility...

Yeah,
I guess the reason I was able to take such a liking to "Now, What!?" was that with all the lineup changes through the years, I just stopped thinking of whatever batch of guys it was as "Deep Purple," and rather just thought of them as some random rock "supergroup." Supergroup albums often end up being disappointing as well, bucause the whole is rarely equal to the sum of the parts, but occasionally, you hear something in there worth listening to. So it was for me with Now What. It doesn't get a lot of spin time with me, but when it does, I find myself enjoying it, so long as a set aside any preconceived notions of what it should be and just try to appreciate it for what it is.
  • Visit poster's website
RubenVrielynck

• Posted: 07/05/2018 00:07
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
RubenVrielynck wrote:
Fischman wrote:
[quote="RubenVrielynck "]

Yeah,
I guess the reason I was able to take such a liking to "Now, What!?" was that with all the lineup changes through the years, I just stopped thinking of whatever batch of guys it was as "Deep Purple," and rather just thought of them as some random rock "supergroup." Supergroup albums often end up being disappointing as well, bucause the whole is rarely equal to the sum of the parts, but occasionally, you hear something in there worth listening to. So it was for me with Now What. It doesn't get a lot of spin time with me, but when it does, I find myself enjoying it, so long as a set aside any preconceived notions of what it should be and just try to appreciate it for what it is.[/quote]

I think it's different with solo-artists (or former band members-off "fill in big group"). Some make better albums over the years and the true great ones don't need to care about someone else's their opinion. So they can evolve over the years. But in a band it's different. There's been few rock bands who peak at their "10th album". Almost every band has their one (or 2,3) definitive album(s) in their first decade of existence. All the albums that follow will be compared by that because a band always has a fanbase and sound that they must live up to (how harsh it sounds Mr. Green )
  • Visit poster's website