Do you have a hard time deciding what to listen to next?

View previous topic :: View next topic
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/12/2020 16:40
  • Post subject: Do you have a hard time deciding what to listen to next?
I usually go through five options while listening to one album before making a final decision.
theblueboy

• Posted: 04/12/2020 16:59
  • Post subject:
Not lately. I decided to come off streaming services for the past few months and I'm just revisiting my collection (I've only bought one new album this year). I prefer it this way- streaming services are a great way to discover music but it's easy to get bogged down in so much music that you have a low investment in. When I'm looking at my own collection I instinctively seem to know what I want to listen to.
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 04/12/2020 19:22
  • Post subject:
Not particularly, I generally listen to 2 new albums a day, sometimes more or less, but I'll usually just pick something randomly off someone's chart around here and then listen to it through, I'm lucky enough in a sense in that my job allows me to work with music going for the most part, I personally prefer to have something happening whilst listening to music, helps me soak it up better I've always felt.

Spotify has been a life saver by the way, I remember when I first joined BEA trying to find some of the more 'obscurer' albums around these parts could be brutal, Spotify has made life so much easier.

• Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 04/12/2020 19:54
  • Post subject:
Not all the time, but it is a situation that I am no stranger to.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2020 00:56
  • Post subject:
I've found that I'm usually satisfied once I press play on something. Be it good, or not so good, I'm reminded how much I like the album experience and forming thoughts. The aspect of picking the next record I'll always struggle with is that there is simply so much music and still so many lauded pieces I've yet to take in. But you can only listen to one at a time anyway, so I will occasionally have to remind myself the quicker I can make a decision the better Very Happy
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/13/2020 02:02
  • Post subject:
Last year I finished a mission to listen to the entire BEA top 1000 Overall Chart.
It was made more difficult by the fact that the chart is constantly changing. But I did it. It took two and a half years.

Now I am more flexible but although I listen more to albums I want to I am still listening to the Overall Chart. I am in the 1200's now.
I am also listening to the All-Time Top 1000 Albums chart in the book of the same name by Colin Larkin. I have the book. I am listening to it backwards from 1000 to 1. It's pretty good, though out of date now - from the year 2000. But it's a handy guide to one muso journalist's guide to classic albums, as he sees them.

I have been trying to listen to more modern music. As my tastes tend to be from the 50's through to the 90's, but I am getting to know a lot more music from the last 20 years from the Overall Chart and I like a lot of it. Not all of it but quite a lot.

Anyway my conclusion from my methods of listening to music is that I am probably OCD but what the heck, I'm having fun!
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 04/13/2020 15:52
  • Post subject:
Honestly there are times where it is okay to not listen to music for at least one day, if you feel not into it. But in the sense of what to listen to next? I will admit that there are a few times that I want to listen to an album, but then get distracted by another album due to the album cover.
  • Visit poster's website
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/14/2020 14:45
  • Post subject:
I personally go through cycles.

So the last year/couple of years now I have probably only listened to 2/3 new albums?

There will come a time though - as usually happens - where I will consume and get to know tens/hundreds of new albums and familiarise myself very quickly with them. I am able to digest them somehow.

However at the moment I have no appetite, nor the ability to digest new material.

I find I need to get to know an album well before asserting my own conclusions.

That’s my own experience anyhow...

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Jameth

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2020 16:19
  • Post subject:
I either have specific plans for what I’ll listen to for a given day, or I’m lost in some madcap free-for-all. I don’t really struggle with choosing.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 04/14/2020 16:27
  • Post subject:
I do sometimes, but then I realise that no matter my efforts, I can't listen to everything I want as many times as I want. So I usually start off with listening to (mostly new) stuff that I planned, and towards the end of the day (if I'm home listening to music all day, that is) I drift off and put on anything I feel like listening at the moment.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website