Peculiar problem of the many bands named Clouds

View previous topic :: View next topic
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/31/2020 10:17
  • Post subject: Peculiar problem of the many bands named Clouds
I wanted to add a Romanian band Clouds, but noticed there's a lot of bands are called "Clouds". So I added this one as Clouds (RO), but turns out they're actually UK/Romanian band, so Mixed Nationality. How should I label them now? "Clouds (MN)" or some other abbreviation?

Edit: After some research, Clouds are currently working/living in Romania, so "Clouds (RO)" tag is ok. The question still stands though: if I have to label a band Mixed Nationality in the future, how should I do it?

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/01/2020 08:56
  • Post subject: Re: Peculiar problem of the many bands named Clouds
LedZep wrote:
I wanted to add a Romanian band Clouds, but noticed there's a lot of bands are called "Clouds". So I added this one as Clouds (RO), but turns out they're actually UK/Romanian band, so Mixed Nationality. How should I label them now? "Clouds (MN)" or some other abbreviation?

Edit: After some research, Clouds are currently working/living in Romania, so "Clouds (RO)" tag is ok. The question still stands though: if I have to label a band Mixed Nationality in the future, how should I do it?

Mixed Nationality is currently denoted using 'UN'. (Disambiguating artists sharing the same names is on my radar and something a bit cleaner will be added soon).
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/01/2020 12:06
  • Post subject: Re: Peculiar problem of the many bands named Clouds
albummaster wrote:

Mixed Nationality is currently denoted using 'UN'. (Disambiguating artists sharing the same names is on my radar and something a bit cleaner will be added soon).
Thanks! Yes, something a bit clearer might be a good idea, but no pressure Smile

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 06/08/2020 00:54
  • Post subject:
I just noticed that every single artist differentiated as being from the United Kingdom uses (UK), but the site rule is to follow ISO, which would be (GB). Is there an exception in this case?
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/09/2020 07:59
  • Post subject:
Fair point. The convention on BEA was to originally use top level domains. UK is a bit of an oddity here as it's possibly the only country whose ISO code is different to TLD (GB obviously only covers the mainland, whereas UK covers islands as well and would be wrong if artist was Northern Ireland and brackets were GB). I think keeping it as UK is right thing to do to keep it consistent with artist nationality and I'll add a note to the help text.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 06/09/2020 20:51
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
Fair point. The convention on BEA was to originally use top level domains. UK is a bit of an oddity here as it's possibly the only country whose ISO code is different to TLD (GB obviously only covers the mainland, whereas UK covers islands as well and would be wrong if artist was Northern Ireland and brackets were GB). I think keeping it as UK is right thing to do to keep it consistent with artist nationality and I'll add a note to the help text.

If that's the only difference with top-level domains, why not still use those as the convention instead of ISO?