Favorite Artists Survey RESULTS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic
badseed

United States

• Posted: 08/13/2020 23:00
  • Post subject:
Okay, correct me if I'm wrong. Been a while since I checked. But that top 6, that's the actual BEA top 6 ranked artists (albeit in a different order). So the fact that Nick Cave is #7 is so so so so so amazing. Like, wow. Yes. Thank you.
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2020 01:02
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Okay, correct me if I'm wrong. Been a while since I checked. But that top 6, that's the actual BEA top 6 ranked artists (albeit in a different order). So the fact that Nick Cave is #7 is so so so so so amazing. Like, wow. Yes. Thank you.

As the potentially greatest songwriter on Earth he deserves to be in the top ten.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2020 20:53
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
As the potentially greatest songwriter on Earth he deserves to be in the top ten.

Absolutely. I just checked and indeed the top 6 ranked artists based on BEA charts are the top 6 here. When I first discovered Nick he was way further back. Like #150 or so. Since then he's released two albums that were highly acclaimed both on BEA and most everywhere else that certainly gave him a boost, as he currently is at #65. While I don't consider myself anything close to the most influential user on BEA I'd like to believe I've helped him out some as well through my seldom yet passionate praise.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/14/2020 21:16
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Absolutely. I just checked and indeed the top 6 ranked artists based on BEA charts are the top 6 here. When I first discovered Nick he was way further back. Like #150 or so. Since then he's released two albums that were highly acclaimed both on BEA and most everywhere else that certainly gave him a boost, as he currently is at #65. While I don't consider myself anything close to the most influential user on BEA I'd like to believe I've helped him out some as well through my seldom yet passionate praise.

I don't mean to downplay it, I think it's a fine album, but I still find it weird The Boatman's Call is our #1 Nick Cave. I know there isn't really a consensus magnum opus in his discography, but it just feels odd that it's always been at the top here. I've always had a hard time ranking Cave... it feels like he has six or seven albums that could be his 'best' on any given day depending on the mood. Still, some of his releases feel a smidge low on our charts. If Let Love In or Skeleton Tree had a massive overnight jump into our top 200, I don't think anyone would question it. I've also always felt like BEA needs to give a bit more love to Tender Prey and Henry's Dream... both are in my top five from him.

I'd make a pretty safe bet in saying Nick Cave will continue to steadily climb in our rankings. One or two more albums down the road, I could see him landing our top 40.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2020 00:17
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I don't mean to downplay it, I think it's a fine album, but I still find it weird The Boatman's Call is our #1 Nick Cave. I know there isn't really a consensus magnum opus in his discography, but it just feels odd that it's always been at the top here. I've always had a hard time ranking Cave... it feels like he has six or seven albums that could be his 'best' on any given day depending on the mood. Still, some of his releases feel a smidge low on our charts. If Let Love In or Skeleton Tree had a massive overnight jump into our top 200, I don't think anyone would question it. I've also always felt like BEA needs to give a bit more love to Tender Prey and Henry's Dream... both are in my top five from him.

I'd make a pretty safe bet in saying Nick Cave will continue to steadily climb in our rankings. One or two more albums down the road, I could see him landing our top 40.

Out of their 17 studio albums I've had 11 different favorites in the short time I've been listening, many of which made my #1 overall for one or more periods of time. All but two of their albums have appeared in my overall top 100 at one point or another.

I personally don't fault BEA for Boatman's Call because, while I generally consider it among their "middle of the pack" albums, when the timing and mood is right it really slaps and jumps into my top 3-5. Same deal with Your Funeral, My Trial. I believe it's my most recently assessed #1, but is it their career best? No way. It doesn't touch half of them in historical significance or artistic quality, and outside of the title track it isn't very fun to sing along to. But I listened to it the most recently and it happened to hit just right at the time.

I agree Tender Prey's ranking is a bit of a travesty. Most other places it's a consensus top 1-4. However, Henry's Dream is about where it should be. I love it dearly but it isn't one of the 6 or 7 that I could listen to without bias and seriously question why they aren't one of the most famous bands in history. Don't get me wrong; each of the 9 tracks is a banger, and 3 of those (Straight to You, John Finn's Wife, Loom of the Land) are probably among their top 10-15 songs.

Releasing couple more albums should certainly elevate them to a higher ranking on the main page, although many artists in his current vicinity (Bon Iver @ 63, Animal Collective @ 66, LCD Soundsystem @ 68, GY!BE @ 70, Vampire Weekend @ 76, Beach House @77) could slow that process in one of three ways:
1. By having a more productive output, thus simply surpassing him due to quantity instead of quality (Beach House releases 5 albums in one year because fuck it, it's Beach House)
2. By releasing an equal amount of albums that receive more slightly more love on people's charts than Nick's (Let's be honest, Bon Iver just has to make an album that is kinda not sucky and it's gonna be top 5 of the year while Nick could release another masterpiece that ranks 12th of the same year)
3. Being less productive than Nick, but it's their best work ever (It isn't unthinkable that in the next 5 years we get 2 Bad Seeds records that are top 10-15 of the year, but just one LCD Soundsystem album that is immediately praised as their greatest album and locks down our #1 of the 2020s thumbnail for the rest of BEA's existence)

Confused

Seriously though, the exposure of being #7 here should raise interest amongst the many users that have and will view this list, and that may translate to some charts over time.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 08/15/2020 11:35
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

It's a 5-way tie for me: Your Funeral, My Trial, Tender Prey, Henry's Dream, Let Love In, Skeleton Tree. I 100% agree with The Boatman's Call, it's always been in the middle of the pack for me. And personally I don't care much about his rankings on BEA. Yes they're a bit weird, but everyone who delves deeper into music, be it on BEA, RYM or using any other resource, is bound to listen to some Bad Seeds sooner or later. And we've already established that he doesn't have a consensus "best" album, so every new listener will probably find a personal favourite. Hell even the three of us discussing cannot agree Very Happy

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/15/2020 15:12
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
t's a 5-way tie for me: Your Funeral, My Trial, Tender Prey, Henry's Dream, Let Love In, Skeleton Tree. And we've already established that he doesn't have a consensus "best" album, so every new listener will probably find a personal favourite. Hell even the three of us discussing cannot agree Very Happy

I can't even agree amongst myself Laughing I'm Murder Ballads / Skeleton Tree / Let Love In, and can't pick between the three. They usually rotate on my chart.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 08/15/2020 20:03
  • Post subject:
This actually feels like I won a prize. I know I'm more passionate about our movie lists, but out of any of the lists we've done, that's my favorite single placement we've come up with. I honestly still would have been tickled pink if they'd have been #40 so this is like when a relative who normally gives you 20 bucks for Christmas gives you 200 instead.

Oh, and I also had quite a few electronic acts on my list. The thing is electronic artists are like Nick Cave albums. Nobody agrees which is best.
BozoTyrannus

Guyana

• Posted: 08/28/2020 17:55
  • Post subject:
The biggest surprise for me was the almost complete lack of blues throughout.

I mean, I was the only person who voted for BB King
And make Sean Pean
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 08/28/2020 18:19
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I don't mean to downplay it, I think it's a fine album, but I still find it weird The Boatman's Call is our #1 Nick Cave. I know there isn't really a consensus magnum opus in his discography, but it just feels odd that it's always been at the top here.I'd make a pretty safe bet in saying Nick Cave will continue to steadily climb in our rankings. One or two more albums down the road, I could see him landing our top 40.

I find that the overall consensus of a large group varies depending on where you go. I was pretty surprised when I saw that on Rateyourmusic their top selection was my favorite, Let Love In. But I've had to listen to a few Nick Cave albums a couple of times to get a better idea of which seemed to be the best. When I think of the best work someone's done, I often go with the one I consider the most in-tune with the artist's style. Ex: I would choose Vertigo over Psycho because the Hitchcockian style revolves mostly around psych thrillers and romance. Was the horror thing even a Hitchcockian staple before the 60's?

The Bad Seeds always reinventing themselves so it's much harder to decide. In the end, I went with Let Love In because it's the darkest of the band's early career and it modernizes while leaving some room for the punk blues of Henry's Dream and Kicking Against the Pricks. But with the band's exceptional modernization skill, it would easily attract so many new fans who like so many different things that the results will typically be mixed.