What the .... cover songs.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 10/29/2020 16:07
  • Post subject:
power metal bands just have more respect for pop standards of the past than other metal bands generally do due to their love of theatrics, musicals, etc.

plus its fun
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 10/29/2020 16:12
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
power metal bands just have more respect for pop standards of the past than other metal bands generally do due to their love of theatrics, musicals, etc.

plus its fun

I noticed that too. It builds itself entirely on theatrics and melody. If you don't want to count hair metal (I don't) it's probably the poppiest metal genre.
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 10/29/2020 16:13
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
But the problem here between Adagio and Dragonforce is that the Dragonforce one FITS and it's almost disturbing. I haven't heard that Firewind one yet, so I don't know if it's a fitting cover or not, but I kind of hope it is for the humor.

Edit: OK, yeah that was pretty fucking good.

So it's a stretch, but Celine Dion has also performed "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" written by Jim Steinman, who also wrote "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and... all of the good songs by Meat Loaf. While not metal, Meat Loaf definitely has a power-metal "over the top" vibe as does Dragonforce. So... I guess I'm trying to say that Celine Dion and Dragonforce have more in common than one might think Laughing

EDIT:
Gowi wrote:

plus its fun

Same sentiment just in fewer words, too true Gowi
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 10/29/2020 17:44
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Spyglass wrote:
But the problem here between Adagio and Dragonforce is that the Dragonforce one FITS and it's almost disturbing. I haven't heard that Firewind one yet, so I don't know if it's a fitting cover or not, but I kind of hope it is for the humor.

Edit: OK, yeah that was pretty fucking good.

So it's a stretch, but Celine Dion has also performed "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" written by Jim Steinman, who also wrote "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and... all of the good songs by Meat Loaf. While not metal, Meat Loaf definitely has a power-metal "over the top" vibe as does Dragonforce. So... I guess I'm trying to say that Celine Dion and Dragonforce have more in common than one might think Laughing

EDIT:
Gowi wrote:

plus its fun

Same sentiment just in fewer words, too true Gowi

Right, it was Meat Loaf that covered that song. I didn't know it was Jim Steinman who wrote that, which explains it.
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 10/29/2020 22:31
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:

there are some schools of power metal that actually have huge reverence for meat loaf/steinman, for instance Tobias Sammet wrote this one with meat loaf in mind:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 10/29/2020 23:24
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
there are some schools of power metal that actually have huge reverence for meat loaf/steinman, for instance Tobias Sammet wrote this one with meat loaf in mind:

Link

I'm only familiar with the first two Bat Out of Hell's and Dead Ringer and I barely remember the third Bat Out of Hell, but the radio stations in my town play A LOT of songs from the first and a couple from the second, so this makes sense to me. Of course, Meat Loaf's debut is possibly the cheesiest album ever made. I mean it's fucking good but it's fucking dumb too. Is there a single album more cheesy???

I'm not at all surprised that Tobias Sammet of all people is influenced by Meat Loaf's style. He writes so many metal operas that it's hard to ignore.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 11/01/2020 00:36
  • Post subject:
I've just remembered one particularly interesting cover. This time the tables have turned: non-metal guy covering a metal classic.

Link

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 11/01/2020 00:58
  • Post subject:

Link
  • Visit poster's website