• Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2021 17:03
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Imagine saying that out loud

I know lol, I mentioned it to my partner yesterday and let's just say they... weren't as into the song (or album) as I was.
kokkinos

• Posted: 03/06/2021 08:57
  • Post subject:
I can appreciate it's an album with its own personality, but I sadly failed to connect with it at any moment. I think it has more to do with mood/timing, as I 'm sure its twisted dreamlike noise would have appealed much more to me at a different point in time.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/06/2021 13:48
  • Post subject:
Total keeper. Great ambient weirdness for when I'm doing chores and stuff. I think it holds up well next to <insert previous album here that I'm too lazy to look up> although I haven't logged enough time with either. Will definitely be making my year chart!

Good, good stuff!
  • Visit poster's website
musicoed

Russia

• Posted: 03/06/2021 16:38
  • Post subject:

Last edited by musicoed on 09/09/2021 00:42; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/07/2021 13:03
  • Post subject:
This was good. Wonky, plunderphonics, mostly in the hazy, ambient and trip hop/downtempo territory. It's all smooth and lovely, but then it suddenly explodes with a power noise section. Varied, crazy and unpredictable, as well as loads of fun. I'm not well versed in Illbient, but this sounds promising. About as good as Isles imo, but not as good as Leap Second.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
KitchenSink

• Posted: 05/29/2021 23:29
  • Post subject:
despite making a note to listen to None of This Is Real back in 2014 I never followed through on that so this ended up being my first experience with DJ Rozwell. Thoughts are mixed although am lightly leaning towards positive. My biggest gripe is that almost every track here feels like a specific kind of b-side in which Rozwell builds a track around a single idea (whether it be a particular catchy little run of notes or a distinct drone tone or repeated drum pattern) and then attempts to carry this idea as far as it will go before realizing that that isn't very far at all. I don't want to use the word "gimmicky" because there's a lot more going on here creatively than that would seem, but I suppose I mean it's very literally "gimmicky" in that each track seems to be built around a single gimmick with everything else surrounding said gimmick more or less acting as padding (like "ah yes this is the track with harsh drones around soft cut up vocals" or "mm this is the one that sounds like the Third Eye Foundation", the compositional ideas surrounding any of that are practically interchangeable half the time). There's nothing wrong with building a song around a single central conceit but I feel like where one would expect more fleshing out of any given track as a means of supporting that core idea, but like any "fleshing out" here feels haphazard at best, and more often strikes me as just tacked on for the sake of filling white space. The fact that at the core of almost every track is at least one genuinely really interesting idea makes this all the more frustrating; whether this is accurate to reality or not, i nonetheless get the sense that DJ Rozwell had these tracks lying around for some time and felt it was a waste to not release them given that, despite all my previous criticisms, there's very clearly a lot of good and interesting stuff at the center of most of these. I suppose this is where my feeling of "these are b-sides" comes from; everything feels cool enough that it'd be a shame to not release it, but not quite so complete as to justify releasing as an album. All that said, I did have a good time with this over all, and even the tracks I didn't particularly care for were at least intriguing enough to hold my attention. And at the very least this all encourages me to actually go back and listen to Rozwell's earlier stuff like I've been meaning to for 7 years...