Album of the day (#3846): The Wild, The Innocent & The E

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/30/2021 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#3846): The Wild, The Innocent & The E
Today's album of the day

The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle by Bruce Springsteen (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1973.
Overall rank: 534
Average rating: 80/100 (from 600 votes).

Tracks:
1. The E Street Shuffle
2. 4th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)
3. Kitty's Back
4. Wild Billy's Circus Story
5. Incident On 57th Street
6. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
7. New York City Serenade

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/01/2021 13:09
  • Post subject:
Brilliant. I love it.

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 07/01/2021 16:53
  • Post subject:
It’s real and ragged and rambling, wide-eyed and wordy and warm. He moved onto more focused, more polished, more definable endeavours, but he never again captured the sense of hope and freedom and endless possibility displayed here. Is it his best? Who cares? It’s my favourite for summer Sunday mornings, the same way New Morning or Court and Spark or His Band and the Street Choir aren’t their respective authors’ crowning achievements by any means yet revel in a looseness that makes them potentially their most likeable works.
seb7

United States

• Posted: 07/01/2021 19:06
  • Post subject: My first and favorite
I don’t like Springsteen. His biggest and most critically successful work is overproduced and too pop for my taste. This album, however, is wonderful. Directly preceding Born to Run, what is imo one of the most overrated albums of all time, this album is folky, rocky, bluesy, and beautiful. Springsteen sings his heart out on tunes that are well thought out. The E-Street Band plays the best they ever played. New York City Serenade is. Just. Perfect. My only gripe is that some of the songs have a just a twing of obnoxiousness. Other than that, it is awesome. 9/10 would recommend.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=63102
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 07/01/2021 20:05
  • Post subject:
Counter to what many others have said, I feel this album is the low point of Springsteen's early career. The prior Greetings from Asbury Park had better songwriting and lyrics, and the later Born to Run had better production and instrumental performances from Springsteen and the band. I think that many of the ideas that were explored on The Wild, The Innocent were later taken to near-perfection on Darkness on the Edge of Town which overall feels very similar but is more polished overall.

That said, this album is fantastic and still towers over everything Springsteen released post-1985. It's a great blend of Springsteen's early rawness and the E Street Band filling all their roles flawlessly.

Springsteen is one of my favorite artists (if not #1), and I've adored everything he's done. This just happens to be my least favorite of his albums between 1973 and 1986, with the possible exception of The River which is a bit too long and doting at times.
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/02/2021 00:39
  • Post subject:
top 5 Springsteen for me
a fantastic album
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 07/02/2021 01:46
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Counter to what many others have said, I feel this album is the low point of Springsteen's early career. The prior Greetings from Asbury Park had better songwriting and lyrics, and the later Born to Run had better production and instrumental performances from Springsteen and the band. I think that many of the ideas that were explored on The Wild, The Innocent were later taken to near-perfection on Darkness on the Edge of Town which overall feels very similar but is more polished overall.

That said, this album is fantastic and still towers over everything Springsteen released post-1985. It's a great blend of Springsteen's early rawness and the E Street Band filling all their roles flawlessly.

With this tweak, my sentiments exactly.
Daydreamer

• Posted: 07/12/2021 16:50
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:

Springsteen is one of my favorite artists (if not #1), and I've adored everything he's done. This just happens to be my least favorite of his albums between 1973 and 1986, with the possible exception of The River which is a bit too long and doting at times.

I agree with many things said here. I also feel that, even though the energy of the band is incredible and the musicianship is top notch, some of the songs are slightly lacking in quality, and the others are better in a live setting anyway. So I definitely feel that this is a step below anything from 1975 till 1984. I also feel that 1987's Tunnel Of Love is a slighly better record than this one.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website