Musical Exploration Through the Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 03/06/2022 22:16
  • Post subject:
Are we back? I think I'm ready to be back. Hopefully. So let us continue this ride.

1993:170/250

To think a metal record is how I decide to return to writing about music. And a pretty excellent one. If there was any complaint I do have with this album, it would be how the middle stretch of the album starts to sound a bit samey. But I wouldn't this album ever gets boring. In its lean 41 minute run time, this album does keep some aces up its sleeve. And when it happens it is pretty impressive. Highlights include the longest track Angel Of Disease with its dizzying closing section. The closer God of Emptiness with its two sections compliment one another. The opener Rapture with its switch up half way in, where I though the next song started up but it was the same song. That was quite nice especially when it happened on another song titled Sworn To the Black. I think that's the other song. And the biggest shocker being the track Nar Mattaru where the band dabbles in dungeon synth music. Was not expecting it but it does fit in the aesthetic of the record in a brooding sense. Overall, another album to check out if you want more of a metal fix.
Grade:90
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/07/2022 00:21
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Are we back? I think I'm ready to be back. Hopefully. So let us continue this ride.

1993:170/250

To think a metal record is how I decide to return to writing about music. And a pretty excellent one. If there was any complaint I do have with this album, it would be how the middle stretch of the album starts to sound a bit samey. But I wouldn't this album ever gets boring. In its lean 41 minute run time, this album does keep some aces up its sleeve. And when it happens it is pretty impressive. Highlights include the longest track Angel Of Disease with its dizzying closing section. The closer God of Emptiness with its two sections compliment one another. The opener Rapture with its switch up half way in, where I though the next song started up but it was the same song. That was quite nice especially when it happened on another song titled Sworn To the Black. I think that's the other song. And the biggest shocker being the track Nar Mattaru where the band dabbles in dungeon synth music. Was not expecting it but it does fit in the aesthetic of the record in a brooding sense. Overall, another album to check out if you want more of a metal fix.
Grade:90

Good to see you back Luigii, especially with a Morbid Angel classic Very Happy Honestly this one's not any worse in terms of quality than Altars of Madness.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2022 00:46
  • Post subject:
Thank you LedZep. There are other records that I do have to get to really soon for 1993. Some more metal, some electronic and other stuff in between. I mean, I was pretty far in the Built to Spill album from 93 but never finished completely. Maybe tomorrow? Maybe not.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2022 22:49
  • Post subject:
2021: 29/250

Well, not an old record but something that I have been meaning to get under my belt. Then again 2021 needs more work compared to 2020 which is closer to complete for the normal quota. But that's not the real reason for me to listen to this. Its more due to how there second album has hit a high mark for the site. So I decided to listen to the debut before getting to main event of 2022 for now. And this album was worth the hype. If there is one thing that describes this album, it would be how the music can be quite unpredictable but makes sense. There are times through the run time where I feel like I know where it is going and then the rug is lifted. And even if I ever get the hint of being disappointed, it ends up working for me. Or floors me on how striking the music can be. The prime example being the jazz breakdown during the halfway point of Sunglasses. As well as touches that goes a long way even if the listener notices. That example being the strings and horns in the separate channels on Track X.

Also do need to mention Issac Wood's vocals where there is a sense of anxiousness but is also quite playful. There are moments where I do find the delivery to be quite funny, but I argue he is aware of those quirks and there is a sense of confidence. Even if its not the most colorful, it does work as a counterpoint for the music. Otherwise, this was really enjoyable. Maybe compared to the other post rock album that came out in 2021, I would give the slight edge to black midi's Cavalcade. But this is pretty high for this year so far.

Grade:95
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 03/18/2022 23:53
  • Post subject:
1993:171/250

Well, it has been a bit since I dabbled with an electronic album from this year. Especially an act as The Black Dog, a group that I have been meaning to give a listen to. And the result from this record is that this is quite great, but I feel it could be even better. I will say I really enjoy the beginning and ending of this album the most. There is a space age vibe to it that is quite warm and welcoming. Feeling like in a lounge in space. Or feels like the preamble to the Y2K aesthetic that will appear way later in the late 90's/early 2000's. And there are also songs in the middle that I do quite enjoy and are quite impressive. But in all honesty, I wished the album kept its space vibe. Or in a more important sense, the song structure was varied through the run time. Because while some of these songs are quite good, I'd be lying if I didn't say I was getting a bit bored. Olivine is probably the prime example of this assertion. But I would also, while I do enjoy the switch ups that occur on this record, I feel like those moments could have been segwayed way better in the structure of the song. Or maybe expanded upon.

Otherwise, an interesting and entertaining electronic album. Not my absolute favorite but not the worst thing I have heard from this year. For that space age vibe that is early 90's but feels classic, listen to Incunabula or Tango n Verticef.

Grade:85
  • Visit poster's website