Booktalk

View previous topic :: View next topic
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 07/24/2023 05:01
  • Post subject: Booktalk
I did not recall that the previous book thread was, uh, banished to the shadow realm. In the interest of keeping a conversation around the written word continuing, I'd like to open up a new one dedicated to just talking about what in the world of literature currently has your attention.

As of this evening, I finally started reading The Parable of The Sower by Octavia Butler. I've never had the pleasure to read anything by Ms. Butler, but this has kept my interest thus far. A co worker of mine suggested it, so I thought I might give it a try.

You may recall that I had mentioned reading Dilla Time awhile back. I had finished it months ago, and I'd say I enjoyed it for the most part. If you're for any reason interested in the history of hip hop, no, just music production in general, and how J Dilla fits into it, then I'd suggest picking it up. The last 100 pages or so were not exactly necessary to me, as it mostly deals with Dilla's legacy through legal battles and such. I didn't have to know this much personal information about his family and friends.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 07/24/2023 09:36
  • Post subject:
Unfortunately I'm reading less and less as the years go by, instead focusing on other stuff. Which is a stark contrast to my teenage days - I'm doing it all backwards Very Happy

That being said, I'm currently reading Masters of Doom, a biography of Romero and Carmack, the two wizards behind id Software and games like Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake. It's a bit romanticized, but tells an incredibly interesting story about the art of gaming in the 80s and 90s. I'm too young to have been there, so this is essentially a history lesson on the early days of computer mania, internet and gaming, as well as an origin story for some of the best games ever.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 07/24/2023 18:59
  • Post subject:
Yeah, obviously one book series-who-shall-not-be-named

I've been back to reading about spanish history, recently reading the Basque History of The World
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2023 04:57
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Unfortunately I'm reading less and less as the years go by, instead focusing on other stuff. Which is a stark contrast to my teenage days - I'm doing it all backwards Very Happy

That being said, I'm currently reading Masters of Doom, a biography of Romero and Carmack, the two wizards behind id Software and games like Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake. It's a bit romanticized, but tells an incredibly interesting story about the art of gaming in the 80s and 90s. I'm too young to have been there, so this is essentially a history lesson on the early days of computer mania, internet and gaming, as well as an origin story for some of the best games ever.

It happens. Sometimes we feel like reading and sometimes we don't.

Hey! John Carmack is a fellow Kansas Citian. You know that story of him breaking into the science room of that high school? I've been in those rooms before. They were a rival school, so I was over there a few times for various things. I'd always think about that when I was in that building.

@cestuneblague

I don't recall the last time I read a good history text. I think I've got a few dusty ones on the shelf I need to take a look at sometime.

I know a little of the Basque culture but not much. I'd probably learn a lot from that.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/26/2023 05:05
  • Post subject:
My favorite book of all time is either Ivanhoe or The Count of Monte Cristo. Yes, I'm boring.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/26/2023 05:25
  • Post subject:
Count of Monte Cristo also one of my favs. Pity there's no decent movie version that's true to the book. Currently re-reading The Beach after a short trip to Thailand.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2023 19:14
  • Post subject:
I promise the vast majority of books I read have nothing to do with music, but right now I'm reading a book about modern music history:

Major Labels: A History of Popular Music in Seven Genres by Kelefa Sanneh. It's been a great read so far. Sanneh was a music critic at various publications for most of his career, and he writes about music with an appreciation for both critical darlings as well as best-sellers without being judgmental or looking upon any musician as unworthy of listening to. The 7 genres are rock, R&B, country, punk, hip-hop, dance music, and pop. I've read through the intro, the Rock chapter (which includes a lot on metal), and most of the R&B chapter (which includes soul and touches on disco). Most looking forward to country, since it's the genre that I have the least understanding or appreciation for. My biggest complaint so far is that each genre so far seems to basically start in the late 60s/early 70s. The book does more to explain how the genres diverged, rather than seeking the origins of each. So far at least, having only ready 2/7 of the book.

If you like reading about music without getting too in-depth into a specific artist or genre (this is definitely not a biography or a complete history of any of these genres), I recommend picking this up.
melisandre

• Posted: 09/04/2023 18:54
  • Post subject:
Cloud Atlas. I don’t love it tbh.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 09/04/2023 19:17
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
Count of Monte Cristo also one of my favs. Pity there's no decent movie version that's true to the book. Currently re-reading The Beach after a short trip to Thailand.

The 70s film is about the closest we've seen. Honestly, I think someone should adapt the book into a limited series for television instead of a film. It'd cover the arcs more tightly.
  • Visit poster's website