I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 04/07/2024 22:42
  • Post subject:

Hell Awaits by Slayer

April 7, 2024

◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈ ◈◈◈◈◈

Quote:
Holy crap, what a treat to revisit. I think this is one of thrash metal’s best releases, above Metallica’s best in my opinion. The crunchy guitars sound so good and the atmosphere is delectably evil. I definitely love the vocal changeup to more of a bite than something power metal-esque. 7 meaty tracks with a lot to pull apart, making it worth many revisits. Slayer’s best, perhaps?

Rating: 98/100
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 04/11/2024 13:15
  • Post subject:
Anti wrote:

Hell Awaits by Slayer

April 7, 2024

Quote:
Holy crap, what a treat to revisit. I think this is one of thrash metal’s best releases, above Metallica’s best in my opinion. The crunchy guitars sound so good and the atmosphere is delectably evil. I definitely love the vocal changeup to more of a bite than something power metal-esque. 7 meaty tracks with a lot to pull apart, making it worth many revisits. Slayer’s best, perhaps?

Repo will approve. I've recently sort of rediscovered Going Places (the Yellow Swans album), it's become one of my fave releases in the noisy psychedelic ambient style. Might end up on my overall chart when I finally make it one day. Such a cool combination of impenetrable noise and dreamy, beautiful ambient textures. Somehow the combination works. It's magic.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2024 13:48
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Anti wrote:

Hell Awaits by Slayer

April 7, 2024

Quote:

Repo will approve. I've recently sort of rediscovered Going Places (the Yellow Swans album), it's become one of my fave releases in the noisy psychedelic ambient style. Might end up on my overall chart when I finally make it one day. Such a cool combination of impenetrable noise and dreamy, beautiful ambient textures. Somehow the combination works. It's magic.

Ha! I do! Now, I'm gonna have to go check out this Yellow Swans albums which I've never even heard of. Cool
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2024 00:58
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
LedZep wrote:
Anti wrote:

Hell Awaits by Slayer

April 7, 2024

Quote:

Ha! I do! Now, I'm gonna have to go check out this Yellow Swans albums which I've never even heard of. Cool

Oh hell yes, glad you enjoyed! Hope you liked the Yellow Swans album!
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2024 01:02
  • Post subject:

Loom by My Bloody Valentine

April 11, 2024

Quote:
I'm usually not one for bootleg releases, especially for my favorite artists. Sure, there are exceptions like Les Rallizes Denudes where their reputation and legacy was built with tremendous assistance of bootleg releases because they have little to no official releases. But when you have an artist who does have at least a standard amount of official releases, you kind of are screwing them over when you check out a bootleg release. They either were not ready or had no intentions to release the recording and you technically are listening to material without their consent. However, when you get a band as legendary as My Bloody Valentine, but also has no official live releases (I can hardly count the 1985 release Man You Love To Hate because it is not the MBV we recognize today), sometimes curiosity gets the best of me. Loom is a 1996 bootleg that is generally considered one of their best live recordings and is almost considered essential listening for MBV fans. It is from a 1992 show in Vancouver during their tour for Loveless. I *might* have seen someone say this was the only soundboard recording from the tour (I don't know if that is 100% true), so if you weren't around for their shows during their prime, this was the only way you could have a taste of it. The sound quality is fair. There is some dust to the recording quality, but to be honest I think it adds to the charm. Additionally, some of the alternative versions of these tracks, like this live version of "Slow" or "Feed Me With Your Kiss," are incredible. Most significantly, the 15 minutes of pure, powerful, harsh noise wall in the middle of "You Made Me Realise" is heavenly. Listening to this bootleg for that track alone is worth it. Pretty awesome bootleg.

Rating: 92/100

Last edited by Anti on 04/21/2024 01:49; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2024 01:03
  • Post subject:

Bricolage by Amon Tobin

April 11, 2024

Quote:
Brought out my vinyl copy while I was reading the other night. Excellent soundstage on this Nu Jazz classic. All of the instruments sound so good. I gotta agree with a lot of the reviews, too. This album does sound quite innovative and does push the boundaries of an old genre, at least for its time. This album feels so meticulously crafted. It's blend of jazz music and drum and bass electronics is so perfect, you can hardly separate the two. Very glad I revisited this album I totally forgot about. Might climb the ranks of my favorite albums ever with additional listens.

Rating: 95/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2024 01:05
  • Post subject:

Margerine Eclipse by Stereolab

April 14, 2024

Quote:
Bright and colorful pop music, very much a Stereolab album. Their last markedly good studio album. Not necessarily their best, but if you love their best albums there no reason you can't love this

Rating: 83/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 04/21/2024 01:16
  • Post subject:

Terminal Redux by Vektor

April 15, 2024

Quote:
Terminal Redux is a blazing technical thrash metal album by Vektor that features a science fiction storyline. You could simply tune out the lyrics and enjoy the ferocious pace of the record, but then you would be missing a pretty decent chunk of the record that fans love. For this listen, I did check out the lyrics and followed along with the album. While I do think attempting and succeeding at crafting a coherent concept album is impressive, I don't think the story is all too thrilling. I kinda saw the ending coming (the track titles don't give it away). However, the musicianship of this album is legit phenomenal. The pace of the album is so fast it will pick up your heart rate a bit as you follow along with the story. I think if you ignore the store, you would still find this album pretty enjoyable if you're a metal fan. I love it so much, the only reason I don't have it perfect, or as close to perfect as possible, is because I thought the story could've been a bit better and the vocal performance kind of prevents one from fully appreciating the lyrics. Excellent album otherwise.

Rating: 96/100