Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin
  • Posted: 10/05/2014 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#1411): Hollywood Town Hall
Today's album of the day

Hollywood Town Hall by The Jayhawks (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1992.
Overall rank: 1,428
Average rating: 75/100 (from 38 votes).

Tracks:
1. Waiting For The Sun
2. Crowded In The Wings
3. Clouds
4. Two Angels
5. Take Me With You (When You Go)
6. Sister Cry
7. Settled Down Like Rain
8. Wichita
9. Nevada, California
10. Martin's Song

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States
  • Posted: 10/05/2014 20:18
  • Post subject:
Absolutely amazing album! Really is pretty great, the harmonies are just some of the best I've ever had the joy of hearing, amazing lyrical songwriting, stunning country instrumental flourishes, catchy hooks and beautiful melodies. This is definitely one of the essential country-rock albums and a great entry point for country rock and the jayhawks. "tomorrow the green grass" May be it's equal or better, but yeah they are both great.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France
  • Posted: 10/05/2014 20:38
  • Post subject:
Been on my tolistentolist for years.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France
  • Posted: 10/05/2014 21:05
  • Post subject:
Oh well, good idea. Starting this right now. I think it's really great.
  • Visit poster's website
manurock

Spain
  • Posted: 10/05/2014 21:08
  • Post subject:
Yay, the Jayhawks on the "album of the day"! Very Happy

It's a pity that they are because of this album... to be honest I don't get why everyone likes it so much in comparison with the rest of his music. If you eliminate the first few tracks I don't think it is a standout album... yes, the combinations vocals blend perfectly and the music sounds fresh but then comes "Tomorrow the Green Grass" which does everything like this album but much better and with better instrumentation (this is my opinion, of course).

Don't stay on this so-called golden age. After one of their lead vocalists (Olson) leaves, the remaining (Louris) still makes some good albms For example, if you wanna go experimental, listen to "Sound of Lies" or if you want a mature Country Rock album go for "Rainy day Music". You will find out a great band which should be good for Wilco or Sprinsteen fans.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan
  • Posted: 10/06/2014 04:04
  • Post subject:
manurock wrote:
It's a pity that they are because of this album... to be honest I don't get why everyone likes it so much in comparison with the rest of his music. If you eliminate the first few tracks I don't think it is a standout album... yes, the combinations vocals blend perfectly and the music sounds fresh but then comes "Tomorrow the Green Grass" which does everything like this album but much better and with better instrumentation (this is my opinion, of course).

Don't stay on this so-called golden age. After one of their lead vocalists (Olson) leaves, the remaining (Louris) still makes some good albms For example, if you wanna go experimental, listen to "Sound of Lies" or if you want a mature Country Rock album go for "Rainy day Music". You will find out a great band which should be good for Wilco or Sprinsteen fans.

I agree with some things here despite feeling that Hollywood Town Hall is essential Alt Country listening (at least that first side). HTH is definitely an uneven album AND front-loaded, but FOUR of those first five tracks are some of the best tracks in the entire Alt Country canon and absolutely glorious...

1. Waiting For The Sun
2. Crowded In The Wings
4. Two Angels
5. Take Me With You (When You Go)

All four of these tracks would be the perfect introduction to Alt Country for any indie rock or power pop fans out there.

Also despite the fact that the second side doesn't come close to reaching the heights of that first side, it redeems itself well enough with those three decent closers, especially the guitars on "Wichita" and "Martin's Song".

I also agree that the Jayhawks finest albums were yet to come and question why the music press spotlight has shined brightest on HTH and Tomorrow the Green Grass Grows when Sound Of lies, Smile and Rainy Day Music are also wonderful. Sound of Lies is probably my personal favorite, but I just started getting into Rainy Day Music. But honestly, that's true for so many of my favorite artists discogs. Will Oldham and I See a Darkness coming readily to mind. (Interestingly, Like HTH, I feel I See a Darkness is the perfect place to delve into Oldham's discog BUT also feel it's front-loaded with a glorious side one that can't quite be matched by its side 2).

The critical spotlight has to lie somewhere I suppose. I just think it's good to keep in mind that it's sometimes quite arbitrary and not miss out on some killer albums. Mazzy Star's Among my Swan being the perfect example. Embarassed Laughing
drakonium
coucou

France
  • Posted: 10/06/2014 06:21
  • Post subject:
Uh, my favorite track off the album is the third one Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan
  • Posted: 10/06/2014 06:33
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
Uh, my favorite track off the album is the third one Laughing

Haha! That's when you know an album is awesome! Disagreement of favorite tracks. Very Happy

Just watch. Mercury's favorite tracks are going to be "Sister Cry" & "Settled Down Like Rain". Laughing

edit: Just listened to "Clouds" again and can totally see why it's your favorite. It's a great track! The harmonies & guitar are fantastic. Winos & office girls in the park!
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 10/06/2014 12:09
  • Post subject:
This is a great album, and this is a great band. They deserve much higher praise on BEA.

Hollywood Town Hall is great, but yes, there are better Jayhawks albums (Rainy Day Music, Tomorrow The Green Grass, Smile). Still, this is pretty amazing stuff. Good to see as album of the day!!!!
  • Visit poster's website
WindowAbove

United States
  • Posted: 10/06/2014 16:04
  • Post subject:
I prefer Tomorrow the Green Grass but this one is great too.
  • Visit poster's website