31%  [10]
68%
 68%  [22]
Total Votes : 32

Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru
  • Posted: 03/15/2015 19:03
  • Post subject: BYT - G0 1980 (Norman) v 2000 (Skinny)
1980's last gasp

LPs

Remain In Light by Talking Heads

Link

More Specials by The Specials

Link

Dirty Mind by Prince

http://grooveshark.com/s/When+You+Were+...gmCJ?src=5

Baby's Got A Gun by The Only Ones

Link

Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) by David Bowie

Link

Staying alive on 45s:

Link

The Jacksons, "Can You Feel It"

Link

Orange Juice, "Falling and Laughing"

Link

Funky 4+1, "That's the Joint"

Link

Diana Ross, "Upside Down"

Link

Joy Division, "Love Will Tear Us Apart"
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru
  • Posted: 03/15/2015 19:03
  • Post subject:
2000 IN FULL EFFECT

The Albums:
(The "if I can't win with this team, I'm officially less popular than Happymeal" Edition)

Internal Wrangler - Clinic

lolaman (RYM user) wrote:
Really fun, really beautiful album. So unexpectedly infectious, and the style is just layed-back enough: all the rhythms kick, but they're not obsessively tight - the same aesthetic is applied to the production, as well. This is one of those rare, wonderful albums in which the songs vary widely, but somehow add up to a unified, glorious whole.

Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished - Avey Tare & Panda Bear

19loveless91 wrote:
I love this band. This is just Avey and Panda, but it's already about as great as it got later on. The sound is already there, as magically beautiful as always, the melodies are hidden within these textures, Panda's drumming is probably at its very best. I love it.

I never realized the beauty of Avey's lyrics here until I actually went and read them. There's mostly this common theme about growing up, loss of innocence (perspective of both the child and a parent!), reminiscing about the past (also common in later AnCo work). So much of their music seems joyous but with a touch of melancholy present...

Silver wrote:
Their most impacting, powerful album.

Since I Left You - The Avalanches

ButterThumbz wrote:
This is what you get when you throw everything at the wall and everything sticks. Always teetering on the brink of collapse, Since I Left You plays Jenga with loops. Building a tower so high, you'd think it was Australia's attempt to set foot on the moon.

SquishypuffDave wrote:
It's like swimming in a sea of lemon lime & bitters, then flying away on a Pegasus and performing the best beatbox of all time. And there is cake. And you're a millionaire.

The Moon & Antarctica - Modest Mouse

Dingerbell wrote:
This is possibly the definitive indie rock album. It's consistency is its major strong point, and it maintains this while being incredibly diverse in song-stuctures and instrumentation.

sageamagoo wrote:
This is the kind of sound that takes you completely by surprise. And no, not in some flashy or strange way, but in the subtlest way possible. Right from the beginning, you feel a connection to the album, a sort of obligation to sit down and listen to what the album has to offer.

Kiki wrote:
It's got quite the philosophy thing going on here. It's wants you to see the world the way it does and doesn't want to play the guitar or twist or shout or mope. It has a charming appeal with 'The Dark Centre of The Universe' and 'The Stars Are Projectors' as highlights. You could see some of the littleuns with their life ahead of them building themselves around this album the way people would do with other cult classics.

Kid A - Radiohead

SingingPeasant96 wrote:
The most uplifting and blissful music I've ever heard.
Every time I feel seriously depressed I always find this album and listen to it, then it always makes me feel much better. Optimistic emotions such as love rule all through the album. To me, Kid A is a beautiful harmony of happiness and hope.

Goodsir wrote:
It's really hard for most people to pick their favorite Radiohead album, but not me. Kid A beats out OK Computer, The Bends, etc. easily. It has a very different feel to all of their other records. To me, it almost sounds like a journey through a person's life, each song representing a different period in said life. It gets me into a really depressed mood because it makes me feel like my life is insignificant, but that's part of the beauty of this album. It immerses me into this person's life, and I just can't escape. A beautiful records that shows how life can be both amazing and awful.

junodog4 wrote:
It took me a long time to love this album. At first, I wasn't ready for the change. Over time, I have come to see the beauty and the genius throughout. Thom Yorke was exhausted, and this album delivers his fatigue with the media machine right into our heads. Well done.

meccalecca wrote:
This album helped me survive my first year of college, away from home, my old friends and in the biggest city of the world. Feeling like a microscopic spec within the vast space of the universe, I was consumed by Kid A.

sp4cetiger wrote:
Kid A made many people rethink the way they listen to music, myself included.

The Singles:

Link

B.O.B. - Outkast
"The fence is too high to jump in jail, too low to dig, I might just touch hell".

Link

Lovely Head - Goldfrapp
"Do you recognise the smell? Is that how you tell us apart?".

Link

One Armed Scissor - At the Drive-In
"Pucker up and kiss the asphalt now".

Link

Say My Name - Destiny's Child
"Say my name, say my name".

Link

In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country - Boards of Canada
"Come out and live with a religious community, in a beautiful place out in the country".

Rock the vote.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France
  • Posted: 03/15/2015 19:20
  • Post subject:
'80 for sure. I can't believe Skinny would stoop so low as to use Radiohead and Avalanches to try and grab a desperate vote.

Seriously though, early AnCo is not for me, and although it truly is pleasant, Since I left You is not the masterpiece BEA says it is. Don't care much about Clinic either, will need relistening. Strong single side except for that Goldfrapp title that I never cared about. But I think I'm matching this singles selection, tbh.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States
  • Posted: 03/15/2015 20:06
  • Post subject:
Well, there's my first accidental vote of the tourney. 80 for me, but I clicked 2000 :/ Both great teams but no way I could vote against Talking Heads, Bowie, Specials, and Joy Division.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif
  • Posted: 03/15/2015 20:11
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
I can't believe Skinny would stoop so low as to use Radiohead and Avalanches to try and grab a desperate vote.

I wouldn't have if that beautiful team I put together last time didn't get so badly crushed. In the existential battle between The Pragmatist and The Aesthete, The Pragmatist won out.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 03/15/2015 20:13
  • Post subject:
Ah man, I've gotta go 2000. That 1980 team is fantastic, Scary Monsters, Remain In Light, Prince, Specials, great stuff, but the 2000s stuff is just a slight bit better.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/15/2015 20:19
  • Post subject:
Two of my fave users, two cracking teams. The 2000 LP selection is great, although not a huge MM fan. Norm's singles are all ace. Christ this is tricky - gonna have a pie and muse a bit further...
  • Visit poster's website
Silver
  • Posted: 03/15/2015 22:13
  • Post subject:
Ha, nice one Skinny. Clinic makes me lean towards 00, and Spirit, MM, and Avalanches certainly don't hurt either. Don't really love Kid A, but those other four are some of my favorites, so yeah the desperation team works.
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada
  • Posted: 03/16/2015 03:29
  • Post subject:
I love these last gasp teams. Screw aesthetic. Go for pragmatism.
Saoirse
  • Posted: 03/16/2015 05:26
  • Post subject:
Im abstaining cuz I have too much riding on this match, but I would probably lean 2000 just because it has more favorites, though 80 is more consistient. Great teams both of you, proof why those years are great (as well as the captains Wink )